Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM

Kitten's and cat's: can't we all just get along

Recently my roommates adopted a little kitten named Milo who is a few months old. Milo and my cat Mischa seem to really like each other. They are meowing for each other and talking through the doors. The seem to enjoy each others company the few times we have let them play. I am just worried Mischa may be playing to hard (she is almost a year and a half). She nips at his neck and they wrestle each other down to the floor and tumble all over each other. The thing that worries me is that sometimes she grabs him so hard that he can not get loose from her grip. Also, she sometimes jumps into his litter box and wans to go to the bathroom. Does Mischa hate Milo? Are they just acting normally? What is too rough and how do I show her that she is doing something wrong?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You should come to my place and watch my 16 go at it! They are always running at each other and taking each other down. Wrestling, nipping, etc. You would think at times they are really hurting/being hurt. Believe me, if one gets hurt they let the other one know pretty quickly. I have yet to see any blood being drawn.
I would supervise their play. If the little one sounds like she is in distress then separate them for a while. She will meow quite loudly and sharply if it hurts. It sounds different than any other meow so you will recognize it.
Don't try to separate them yourself. You will end up on the receiving end of lots of scratches. Keep a spray bottle of water close by and if you feel the action is getting too violent use it to spray Mischa (love the name) gently.
Good luck and when you can, pics of the two babies would be great.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM
-

I agree with 14+kitties....it is just normal behaviour. I also love both names and looking forward to some pics.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:01 AM
Mama de cinco gatos

If Mischa hated Milo, she would probably hiss at him, and would probably avoid him rather than tumbling around with him. My oldest girl doesn't really love the kittens, and she tends to avoid them. When they want to play, she'll hiss and punch them
Osa (Spanish for bear, 1 y/o tortie pointed polar bear girl)
Salsa (Spanish for mixture, 1 y/o happy drool calico girl)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh you will know if one of them is getting hurt, they will let the other cat know to back off.

Sounds like they are just playing normal kitty play.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM

I think Mischa is getting mum-syndrome with Milo...especially if she is grabbing at the scruff of his neck, the way mothers do with their kittens, who tend to just go limp and allow their mums to carry them around like that. I agree with the others - don't worry about it until Milo starts getting really upset.
As far as the litter box goes, you should count yourself lucky that they are willing to share - lots of kitties would rather go on the floor/couch/bed than someone else's poo.