Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:35 AM

No such thing as an outdoor dog?

Wait a minute... I don't want to hijack someone else's thread so I'm starting a new one here, but what??? Dogs should always be indoor pets? Even dobermans? Shocked is overstating it, but I'm well, confused! What about farm dogs? They are almost always outdoors, and yet very happy, well-adjusted dogs (at least the one's my grandparents raised -- and they raised them as outdoor pets, who also protected the home by barking). They loved those dogs, even spending outrageous amounts of money to save one's life once, and letting them in if the weather was too harsh, but they were definitely outdoor dogs.

While growing up my family had outdoor dogs too, and we also let them in when the weather was too cold or too stormy or whatever... But they were great, wonderful happy dogs! We even had heated doghouses (and cat-houses) for them. My family loved dogs and cats, but it turned out a family member (me) was allergic to them, and outside they went! There were always two of each and we gave them tons of attention, and I really think they were okay.

I love having an indoor (non-allergenic poodle) dog, and that's the only kind of pet I'll probably raise for the rest of my life , so don't worry -- but I'm just genuinely confused about this.
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Are you a glutton for punishment??LOL

You have just touched a raw nerve with some of the members on this board -I am sure.
There are those who thin dogs should not be left alone for more than a couple of hours and that dogs need constant attention from their humans etc. I do not tend to agree with this in some instances since I also had outside dogs growing up and still have one who - while she has access to the indoors and heated facilities 24/7 tends to like to curl up and snooze in the snow.
I hope the responders are gentle to you since you are a relative newbie.
Flack jackets can be bought on line...LOL
WOODY
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I have to agree to a certain extent. Some dogs that have been raised outside, LOVE it outside and don't even want to be inside. These are usually the heavy coated ones that any kind of weather does not faze on them. Although, I think Dobermans and Rottie's are another kind that you see outside often. I enjoy going down country roads and seeing the farm dogs lying on the driveways, happy as a pig in sh**! Ask them if they want to go inside? The answer would be no, we are very happy out here in nature, watching the bunnies and squirrels go by.

On the other hand, there are dogs that are "people" dogs and need to be close to people. There is a fine line between what dogs are ok outside, and which are not.

I think in the case of the Dobie that was a problem in one of the threads, this dog is sick and unhealthy right now. He "wants" to be inside, that was made clear. I can't see keeping a dog outside that wants and needs to be close to people, for whatever reason.

I'm not a firm believer on either side of the fence. Its a case by case situation.

JMHO
Heather and her 2 Golden Girls
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
I have to agree to a certain extent. Some dogs that have been raised outside, LOVE it outside and don't even want to be inside. These are usually the heavy coated ones that any kind of weather does not faze on them. Although, I think Dobermans and Rottie's are another kind that you see outside often. I enjoy going down country roads and seeing the farm dogs lying on the driveways, happy as a pig in sh**! Ask them if they want to go inside? The answer would be no, we are very happy out here in nature, watching the bunnies and squirrels go by.

On the other hand, there are dogs that are "people" dogs and need to be close to people. There is a fine line between what dogs are ok outside, and which are not.

I think in the case of the Dobie that was a problem in one of the threads, this dog is sick and unhealthy right now. He "wants" to be inside, that was made clear. I can't see keeping a dog outside that wants and needs to be close to people, for whatever reason.

I'm not a firm believer on either side of the fence. Its a case by case situation.

JMHO
Heather and her 2 Golden Girls
Well since that's pretty much my opinion too.... Ditto
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Its a case by case situation.
Right. There's a big difference between farm dogs who work, have the company of other dogs, the freedom of the entire farm and who have their people around most of the time and a dog who is left alone in a yard night and day in the city with nothing to do and NO company at all while their owners work.

Dobermans are not outside dogs or kennel dogs. They are people loving - "velcro dogs", as Heiress said - who need to be near their owners. They are also dogs with a very sparse coat who cannot tolerate low temperatures.

My last dog had an extremely thick coat and loved to lie in the snow, but he wanted to be inside when we were because dogs are pack animals and are not solitary by nature.
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Right. There's a big difference between farm dogs who work, have the company of other dogs, the freedom of the entire farm and who have their people around most of the time and a dog who is left alone in a yard night and day in the city with nothing to do and NO company at all while their owners work.
I agree with you on your post - but not all farm dogs work, as in herding dogs or the like - some are just pets, and maybe watch dogs to some extent... our dogs (when I was growing up) were always outside when we were away... they seemed to like that better, but we did have 2 dogs so they were not alone and they have the entire property at their disposal and insulated dog houses, a boxer and a boxer/dob, and they were always in at night, or in bad weather. And they were both very happy and healthy dogs - the boxer lived to 14 and the other til she was 15 - both well over the life expectancy.

I think many dogs would choose to be outside on nice days - and some even on bad days but it really depends on the dog (both the breed and personality) - My rottie lived with the 2 older dogs on the farm until she was 1yr old and she would much rather lay on the couch than the grass... even when the other 2 were outside... so that's where she gets to stay - but if she wanted to be out - she would be left out in her fenced yard.
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:28 PM
banned user

Hmm. I tend to just let the dog decide.

My Great Dane has little interest in being outside, unless I am outside. She follows me from room to room, yes- even to the toilet . When I let her out to go potty, if I am not RIGHT THERE at the door to open it again when she is done, she cries as though someone is killing her. She wants in.

My Finnish Spitz, however, prefers to spend most of her time outside. She comes in to eat and sometimes to visit, but then goes straight to the door to be let out. If I don't let her out right away, she'll paw me and run back to the door. Often I stand at the door when she is outside, holding it open and inviting her, almost begging her at times to come in. Nope. She'll come to the door to say hello and get a pat, but she's really not interested. When I insist that she comes in to visit, she stays for the attention, but when not being actively slobbered over, she wants back out. She'll pout at the door. Paw. Whatever it takes. She LOVES cold weather and has the coat for it. She has a lovely warm house out there, but she thrives in the colder weather and lays out in it quite often. I just make sure to spend plenty of time outside visiting with her to be sure she gets equal attention, and at times I insist that she comes inside to be with the whole family, to remind her that she is part of "Us"- then I let her back out.

I would never deny a dog who wanted to live inside, nor would I deny one who is unhappy inside and wants to enjoy the outdoors.