Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 9th, 2004, 08:02 PM
banned user

Any updates on Slim?

How is the poor baby doing?
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

OH yes! Slim is now "Medium" - up to 50lbs!! Since he was deprived of being a puppy, he is now making up for lost time and having a blast playing with a couple of the other dogs there.

His starvation affected his organs, and he is not fully housetrained but will be when he becomes more fully functional and gets more control.

He is going this week for his neuter and then he'll be nearly ready for his new home!!!!

I'm hoping for some new pics, but Pitcrew is very busy, since she took in yet another dog - beaten, starved and thrown into a snowbank.

This girl is so scared she crawls around on her belly.
Here's a pic of this poor baby.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats sad. She's so cute.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
banned user

What is wrong with people!!!! I will never understand how someone can be so cruel to animal or human!!!!

I am sure hoping for Slim to make it!!!!!!
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Angry

Hmmm. Let's see it takes to much time and energy to get up and feed and water a dog, let alone love it, but by golly we have all the time in the world to beat it and throw it in a snow bank, makes sense!

By the way, i am not a pit bull fan, (part of it because of the rep they have) but she is a cutie!
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
By the way, i am not a pit bull fan, (part of it because of the rep they have)
How many do you know personally?

I'm sorry you have bought into the media hype. You aren't alone in this. Maybe the facts will change your mind!

The Real Pit Bull

P.S. I notice you say you were raised with Dobermans? Do you know how many people hate and fear them on sight? They have a bad rep too, and are one of the only breeds created specifically to bring down a human being.

I love them anyway, because I educated myself.
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Oh no don't get me wrong. I think they can be great dogs. My problem is that there has been so many irresponsible breeders and dog fighters that I am leary of them. I have never had one, and only been around two of them. They were okay, but because I didn't know were they came from, and the people that owned them were not the type to do a lot of research to make sure they were from a good line, I wasn't comfortable. As I grew up around Dobs, who often times get a bad rep, and I have had a rot, who once again can have a bad rep, I know it is alot of misunderstanding the breed.

so what I meant was that because of the bad breeding I am leary of them. There are too many people out there who aren't paying enough attention to make sure they don't breed to close and cause the breed problems.
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi 1John

I just wanted to let you know that for the most part, pits are gentle cuddly and fun dogs! I never thought I would have heard myself say that...but a few months volunteering at a shelter where there is almost nothing but pits I can tell you I NEVER had an incident with one. THEY ALL were just big silly cuddlers that loved to play and receive affection.

It disgusts me that they're full in shelters with these dogs who have the biggest hearts.

I've had more close calls with other breeds but have always felt comfortable with the pits.

I repeat I have NEVER had one growl, snarl, lunge, bite , show it's teeth or aggression towards me. They are people pleasers!

Muta is still up for adoption at the Scarborough Shelter
I saw her posted on there..she's been in since November and is the most beautiful gentle girl that I've ever met.

Someone with love and room PLEAASE consider her she is an angel!

Go to this link.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....&threadid=2693
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Angry

I have watched the show animal cops, not sure if our neighbors to the north get that or not, if you don't it is a show about the daily dealings of animal control officers. They show abuse cases, abandonment, and the such. Several of the states down here, have mandatory put down laws when it comes to pits, because of the fighting. I could just cry every time you see them rescue a pit, even the puppies, and here them say that because of the amount of fighting that goes on, the state requires them to be put to sleep
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

1john44 - I don't wish to argue, but I'm always disappointed when owners of other breeds that are hated and banned say they do not like pit bulls, even if the only info they have on them is from watching shows like Animal Cops.

Do you know how many people are terrified of, and hate Rotties and Dobies? You would probably be one of them if you did not have first hand experience with them, right? If your only info on them came from sensationalistic TV shows?

I might say I'm not a "fan" of Rotties, since I saw a show about how 2 of them attacked a jogger, to the tune of more than 350 stitches.

Should I say that Rotties are bad, or that these these dogs had stupid, moronic and irresponsible owners?

I also lately heard of an adopted Dobie killing it's new owner. Should I hate them too, or blame the people who raised and dumped this dog, and the shelter who screwed up?

In both cases, I will go with the latter.

I could go on and say that many of the dogs implicated in the lurid "Pit Bull Attacks" stories are not pit bulls at all - but often mixes or another breed entirely. Most people (including the press) cannot identify a pit bull, and I"ve seen breeds ranging from pugs to hounds to boxers to Great Danes(!!) identified as pit bulls.

It seems the only requirement a dog needs to be identified as a pit bull is to have short hair and to attack.

Of course a headline breathlessly screaming "Boxer (or hound) Attacks!!" would not be nearly as sensationalistic or draw as many readers. Hint: The media is not always the most reliable source of the truth.

"Blame the deed, not the breed!"
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

ANY dog TRAINED to fight has tendancy to attack.

I've been attacked myself by a Jack Russell Terrier
BUT you never see them getting bad raps cause they're on
Frasier

Hey LR

Thats what we need, a TV show to add to its cast a PBT!!!

Any suggestions???? How could we do this?

Maybe Bob Barker can help out too
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thats what we need, a TV show to add to its cast a PBT!!!
Great idea, Luba! Maybe I can audition Chloe, and she can start earning her keep for once!
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:34 PM

I didn't mean to imply that I hate pit bulls, only that I have not had a lot of interaction with them, so they are not on my high list of wants. And please forgive me for this one, they aren't the prettiest in my eyes. (Remember everyone has different tastes!) Because of my dealings with dobs and rotties, I know how wrong the publics view is about dogs. I was just trying to say, and failing miserable, that I don't know enough about the dogs to be a huge fan of them. Sorry.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Chocolate

there's a pit bull mix on the soap, Days of Our Lives.

his name's Max, I believe, & the owner dresses him up in all sorts of costumes, he's a sulk.

Old February 10th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Meet Muta..... can u honestly say she's ugly????
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

And again...

did I mention she's in desperate need of a home!!
Attached Images

Old February 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Very few dogs can I really say are ugly and she isn't one of them. I am just not found of the shape of the head. One of those weird things of mine, because my lab is a very blocky headed guy and I love that. Can't really explain what it is about the looks that don't get me going. Sorry
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba, I just set up a Petfinder site for Pitcrew REscue and am asking her if I can list Muta on it.

That pretty girl has just got to get the home she deserves!
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well you know my story with the shelter so I think she should contact the Scarb shelter to get permission.... since they don't want me around there anymore.

I really miss Muta.... of all the dogs I've come across and wanted...she has stood out by far!

IF ANYONE has room for her I encourage you to go meet her as she really is a gentle sweet girl.

Thanks LR, she really does deserve a home...that place is not 'homey' at all. They dont' even get a blanket/bed to sleep on and go out only if and when a volunteer will take them. Most are terrified to take out the pits (except myself) but now they dont' want me there and I'm sure this little girls just thought I've abandoned her!

sniff
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Okay I am a late comer so tell me why in the world they wouldn't want you around to take them out?
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba, can you give me the link again to the HS, so I can get more info to list Muta?

BTW, I think they are disgusting and despicable for making the dogs suffer so they can even with you for telling the TRUTH!

She is so precious - if I didn't already have one pit bull, I would be right there to bring her home.
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Johnny,I do watch Animal-Planet and sometimes Pet-Patrol,the sad part is that most pit-bulls caught,are dogs trained to fight and most are kept in basements,by people who have them for one sole reason,to make money....to love and care for the dogs is not on their agenda.
I've also seen how they are all tested to see if they would be adoptable and many made it,but an agressive unhappy pit-Bull who knows nothing of love or care is not going to make it,he'll be put down.
But it's people who make them that way,I don't think any dog is born nasty.
Most dog-bites of all breeds come from the cute little Cocker-Spaniel,of course they won't kill you...
A Pit-Bull would probably not be my choice either,but not because they are not cute,Lucky did say at one time,they don't always get along with other dogs or cats and that would be a problem to me.
In a town-house across the street from me,lives 4 young men,they have 3 pit-bulls and one beautiful choclate Dobi and they used to have a kitten whom they neglected and who got killed by a car.
As for the show Pet-Patrol I am impressed by the powers the officers have,unlike Humane Society here in Canada.
Phew,that got to be looong!
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba,that is so sad about Muta,she looks so sweet and not even a blanket...what's the matter with Scarb HS?
I am also curious why an animal-lover like you would not be allowed to come back?
Mind you,here in Okville I have a friend who volonteered for 15 yrs at HS,built an outdoor cat-run,was in charge of on adoptee room full of cats.They all developed Feline HIV(don't know the name)and HS decided to put them all down.My friend Tom,was outraged and protested loudly and after 15yrs was told to leave.
He himself has 5 rescue cats with feline HIV and they have lived with it for years.HS made a BIG misstake letting him go,he lovescats and other animals above anything else.
Ok,now I'll take a break,empty the dishwasher and feed my cats.
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh well,one more thing,Muta is actually a dirty word in Swedish describing a female part in a bad way
Old February 14th, 2004, 08:42 PM

One of the shows I watched they wouldn't even test the dogs to see if they were adoptable. I think it was Michigan. They have a state law that requires all pit bulls no matter what the condition or age had to be put down, due to the high fighting incident. I watch them take in three pit bulls who were fighters, with a litter of about 8 puppies who weren't even weaned yet, and they said due to the law, even the puppies would be put down! That is an outrage. No matter what my opinion of pit bulls is, puppies are a clean slate, and shouldn't be condemned like that all for their breed!
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sorry the updated posts didnt' register here for me until today...sorry about that.

The shelter doesn't want me back because they are 'sensitive' to the fact that I was not pleased with some of the conditions there and posted it here asking for advise. I took a pointer out of there who has since been adopted by wAggie, who was in an awful stage emaciated with worms and they didnt' get her treatment.

They saw the post on here and I suppose their 'feelings' got hurt because I was concerned about sick animals and cross contamination in an outdoor area covered in contaminated feces (instead of protecting their feelings)

LR did you get the link I sent you in PM?
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I've posted this picture before but I'll show it again..I'm sure wAggie won't mind.
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

"Destiny", the beaten and starved pup whose pic I posted earlier in this thread is giving up her fight to survive in a world where she knows only abuse and fear.

Please think good thoughts for her!!!
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LR whats happening with her?
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess it comes to a point where even a puppy gives up and shuts down...I am so,so sorry for her and wish the beasts that did this to her a miserable life..
Lucky and everyone please read about Bandit.