Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM

still having runny poops 3 wks after food change

someone had mentioned digestive enzymes or something i can add to the food to help his stomach cope.

my mom told me to give him rice to try and bind his stomach up, but that didnt work.

i thought a week or so would be normal, and last week he had two days of formed "stuff" so i thought we were ok. but it is continuing and i am concerned.

he doesnt appear to lack energy or anything, and i dont think its bacteria because the vet cleared him of that a month ago or so when he was having the same thing on old food.

should i try a new brand again? or will that just be too much change too fast?
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kingdano what food are you feeding? I use this on my dogs food...

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Solution.html

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM

i am feeding innova/evo red meat large bites.

the brand was reccomended by OC spirit as one of 3 of the top brands of doggy food.

canidae, innova and orijen were the 3.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM

Changing the kind of protein in the diet may help. Lamb, chicken or Fish. I went through this with 2 of my guide dogs.

The vet told me that some proteins are smaller and easier for the dog to digest.

With one guide dog, I changed the food 3 times over the years because as she got older, her ability to digest the food changed. I had had her from 18 mnths old and around the age of 4, she had a sudden onset of runny stools. She was working great, played hard but all the sudden, there were runny stools. Went to the vet and he told me to try (slowly) changing her food over. The runny stools disappeared. The vet was good in telling me that there were good foods out there and didn't push perscription food at me. She was great on Lamb & Rice and yet my other girl couldn't handle it and was great on Fish & Sweet Potato.

Down side to Fish & Sweet Potato is that when the dog vomits, it smells like Lake Ontario on a really bad day.

you are able to resolve this very soon.

I know I'm new here but I have to assure all that I worked with the vet and didn't just go off without my girls being checked out. But there is alot of reading on the net on dog food.
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am just wondering if the food may be too rich? I agree with OC on those brands. Just wondering if you try Orijen Fish to see if this makes a noticable difference. I found that with my guy the runny poops stopped within a couple of days on Orijen! He has been on this now for over 1 yr and no runs! Maybe the red meat is too much? Just a thought? I used the eaglepack transition and it worked like a charm!

Cindy

P.S How do you like the illusion collar?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM

im picking up the illusion today from the UPS place. i was gone this weekend when they tried to drop it off.

i will def post when i try it out.

thanks for the tips. i am also going to buy some fish based food from the local agway today.
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would try the Orijen if you can get it...Its a very good quality food!

Let me know if you like the collar!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM
-

I agree with Winston and have heard that EVO is quite rich and a lot of dogs get loose poop with it.

I have my husky on Orijen (the chicken formula) and he does great.
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM

cant get orijen locally

canidae and innova only.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Does your store carry the other EVO Large Bites - I think it's chicken and turkey based. I've heard a lot that the red meat can be too rich for dogs to handle, but EVO as a brand is quite good. I'd give the other formula a shot.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM

i bought a small bag of canidae for him today and put one cup in with two cups of the red meat.

he seemed to pick for the canidae first but he always likes new food right off the bat so we will see.

im hoping his stomach calms down a bit over the next week from adding just the 1 cup of the canidae; that may be unrealistic but i dont want to switch cold turkey on him again since he seems to have a sensitive stomach.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kingdano can you pick up the eaglebrand holistic transition powder? I used this when I changed winston over to the Orijen from the vet food and it really helped his tummy through the change! he has a real sensitive stomach! I just sprinkle it on his food and he eats away! actually thinking I gave him a treat!

Let us know how things work out? I also give him a spoon of yogurt a couple of times a week?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM

i will look for it at the store tomorrow after work. and the yogurt is good for the live cultures?

i will keep you all posted.
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I attached the link if you need to view it earlier in the posts...Good luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM

i really love that quote in your signature too.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Funny people have said that before and I think it is such an amazingly true statement! Thanks!

If you try the eaglepack stuff there are 2 kinds...I use the pink one

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigndano View Post
and the yogurt is good for the live cultures?
Yep, I find plain yogurt is also helpful. I've never needed to use anything else, but have heard only great things about the Eagle Pack powder.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

works great for us and Winston thinks he is getting something special on his supper! Funny dog...he waits for us to say okay too eat when we sprinkle it on ! thinking its something special!

I couldnt tell you how many yrs we have had tummy and poop issues!! (not in the house!)
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM

after the 1 cup of canidae his poo was a bit formed this AM.

not sure if its coincidence or not, but im gonna go buy that stuff anyways.

they sell it at the same place as the food.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM

so that place in town sells eaglebrand, but not the powder!

any idea whats in it so i can try to get a replacement or mix of the same products?
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

from the site they show this info on it............

Relieves Symptoms Through Holistic-All Natural Ingredients
When your pet gets sick, the beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract are overpowered by bad bacteria like E. Coli and Salmonella. The highly concentrated ingredients in Holistic Solution™ are all natural, and work in a holistic way to help prevent or relieve the symptoms naturally. Many Holistic Solution™ ingredients are already contained in Eagle Pack® Super Premium pet foods. Using Holistic Solution™ on a daily basis, or feeding Eagle Pack® pet food, aids in preventing diarrhea, loose stool and upset stomach.

The ingredients in Holistic Solution™ are biologic tools that resolve the illness naturally by introducing Digestive Enzymes to ease the strain on the digestive system. Probiotics supplement the beneficial bacteria that occur naturally in the pet's system. Holistic Solution™ provides Prebiotics (Inulin), a food source for the beneficial bacteria so they stay strong and healthy. Few remedies offer this natural, 3-way, holistic approach to resolve symptoms. Holistic Solution™ resolves the symptoms by naturally restoring the gut to its' normal healthy state.

Read what owners are saying about Holistic Solution™

"I was told to try your Holistic Solution digestive remedy. I immediately went home and gave her some in her food. She hasn't even been on it for 24 hours and her stool has already formed and she has no more discomfort."
"You immediately suggested Eagle Pack Large & Giant Breed Puppy formula with Eagle Pack Holistic Solution added...I have to say that not only do both puppies eat with gusto but their stools are normal... "

An Aid In Preventing Problems
One of the body systems most prone to attack is the intestinal tract. Administering Probiotics, Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes may prevent the invasion of harmful bacteria that cause diarrhea, loose stool and stomach upset. By adding the ingredients in Holistic Solution™ to your pet's daily meal, symptoms can be prevented or greatly reduced. Most of these same ingredients are also available in Eagle Pack® Holistic-All Natural diets and you will see similar positive results when you feed Eagle Pack®.

Additional Benefits...A Healthier Pet

Aids digestion

Improved immune function

Reduced fecal odor and fecal output

Increase resistance to infectious disease

Aids in relieving small intestinal bacterial overgrowth associated with causing diarrhea and weight loss

An aid to relieving Irritable Bowel Syndrome

To help restore the beneficial bacteria during administration of antibiotics

Weaning gap...2-weeks post weaning when puppy or kitten is transitioning from milk to kibble, when the animal must establish it's immune system, enzyme system and gut micro flora. Also eliminates weaning diarrhea.

Improved mortality rate in neonates

Stimulate appetite

Combat effects of stress, diet change, travel and environment change

The Science Behind The Benefits (1)
The importance of beneficial microorganisms and subsequent well being of the animal is well known. (Research dated as early as 1980, 1982, and 1987). More human food products are using Prebiotics and Probiotics. Research is suggesting that Probiotics may lessen or eliminate the use of antibiotics in poultry production. Renewed, intensive research demonstrates Probiotics has a place in animal health. States one researcher, “What is noteworthy from a literature review, is the abundance of positive responses spanning a huge range of experimental protocols”.

In the digestive tract of the normally healthy animal, a balance of several different naturally occurring microorganisms helps in efficient digestion, maximum absorption of nutrients and elimination of pathogens from the pets system. These naturally occurring microorganisms increase the body’s resistance to infectious diseases. During periods of stress the balance between beneficial microorganisms and harmful microorganisms can be altered. This gives rise to an overgrowth of pathogens (E. Coli and Salmonella and others), causing diarrhea, loose stool or stomach upset. Because Holistic Solution is formulated to treat all 3 symptoms, it is necessary to have a variety of beneficial bacteria and Inulin.

(1) These statements are based on the company’s 20 years experience with Probiotics, Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes. We have more experience with utilizing these ingredients in pet food than any other company. Support for our statements have also been extracted from over a dozen research documents worldwide. Sources are available on request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
Stabilized Rice Bran, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Natural Chicken Flavor, Inulin, Dried Aspergillus niger Extract, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Extract, L. acidophilus, L. casei, B. subtillus, B. licheniformis, B. coagulins, Aspergillus niger, Lactococcus lactis, Enterococcus faecium.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein Min 10%
Crude Fat Min 10%
Crude Fiber Max 8%
Moisture Max 5%

*Total Lactic Acid Bacteria: 5 billion CFU/g
(L. acidophilus, L. casei, Enterococcus faecium)
*Total Bacillus Microorganisms: 150 million CFU/g
(B. Subtillus, B. licheniformis, B. Coagulins)
*Protease
(from Aspergillus oryzae & Aspergillus niger) (1)
*Cellulase
(from Aspergillus oryzae & Aspergillus niger) (2)
*Amylase
(from Aspergillus oryzae & Aspergillus niger) (3)

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Enzyme functionality statement: Product contains enzymes. Protease for protein hydrolysis; Cellulase for cellulose hydrolysis; Amylase for starch hydrolysis.
(1) One HUT unit of proteolytic (protease) activity is defined as that amount of enzyme that produces, in one minute under the specified conditions (40 deg. Celsius, pH 4.7), a hydrolysate whose absorbance at 275 nm is the same as a solution containing 1.10 ug per ml of tyrosine in 0.006 N hydrochloric acid.
(2) One Cellulase Unit (CU) is that activity that will produce a relative fluidity change of one in 5 minutes in a defined carboxymethylcellulose substrate under the conditions of an assay (40 deg Celsius, pH 4.5).
(3) One Dextrinizing Unit (DU), or (SKB), unit of alpha-amylase activity as defined as that amount of enzyme that will dextrinize soluble starch...at the rate of 1 g per hour at 30 deg Celsius.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM

thanks winston

doesnt seem like stuff i could go out and buy and mix up....

if the stomach issue persists past this week i will have to bite the bullet and order some online and pay for shipping.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

has he been better the past couple days with the food change? if you cant get it right now just use some plain yougurt..couple teaspoons maybe 2 or more times a week...I dont think it hurts to use it everyday but I am not sure so I have stuck to 2 or more! itll make his tummy feel real good!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM

the canidae has helped for sure.

and i bought him a big smoked cow leg bone to chew on which over-firmed his poop up.

he actually yelped when he pushed some of it out this AM cuz it was so hard...i felt bad for him but i was like.."well if youd eat your dang food youd be pooping out more than bones ya idiot"
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

gotta watch those bones too sometimes! poor pupper!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM

we used a yogurt/rice/cooked ground chicken mix to firm up our little guys poop when he needed it
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM

things are looking much better on canidae!

thanks for the advice guys