Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM
~Cat Servent~

Nutro?

Was this one of the better cat foods you all were talkin about?

I've been feeding it to the kittens and was thinking of switching my furbabes over to it too.... (from the Nutrience they get now)

Old September 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Yes nutro was one if then listed also eagle pack, wellness, chicken soup for the cat lovers soul. I just switched mine to wellness the ingredients are very good to what i was feeding her before she seem to like it too.
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:31 AM

FYI Nutrience is a store brand, packaged for Rolf C. Hagen company. It is a line of food offered to independant pet stores so that they have "an exclusive" food line. It is not a high quality food. Glad you are thinking of switching, Nutro is much better. Wellness is an excellent food , but can be too rich for some animals bellies. I cannot afford to feed it to my crew, or I would try it.
Old September 14th, 2004, 03:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks did not know that about the Nutrience! And ya I looked into that Wellness stuff, but with the way these three go through dry food, I'd have to have hubby take on a second job to feed the cats!!! LOL

I can live with the Nutro, seemed good to me when I read the ingredients. I'm sure my little connoisseurs (he he...had to look that spelling up! ) will let me know what they think!
Old September 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

KrDahmer,yes,Nutro is good,I switched over to CSFPLS(Chicken-soup-for-catlovers-soul)from Nutro it's about the same price as Nutro and the cats REALLY love it.
I however buy Wellness canned food and my cats love it,twice a day,they also eat Fancy Feast,which is not great,but they like that too..
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM
~Cat Servent~

My cats are sooooo hooked on Fancy Feast!!! They only get 1/4 can once a day for breakfast as a treat. They don't like any of the ground up kind of canned food which I find most of the higher end brands are, they like the grilled or sliced kinds. (The grilled chicken one smells good enough for me to eat!) The rest of the day they eat dry food when they get the munchies. That is why I really want to make sure that I am giving them a quality dry food. I will look when I go to buy next, and see if my pet store carries the CSFTPLS, if not I am switching to Nutro.
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:59 PM

I give fancy feast to my cat as a treat too... she's on Nutro (for fat kitties ) as her regular diet. If you read the ingred for fancy feast it actually don't look too bad.

I recently changed my crews food in the name of less hair around the house (they were healthy otherwise). My Dog is on Performatrin ultra and the cat is on Nutro... in one month I've noticed a big difference in both lack of hair everywhere and they both look better (and I though they looked great before)

I didn't like the ingred on nutro for my dog, that's why I opted for the Performatrin ultra, but the cat foot looked good and seems to be doing the trick.
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I'll have to check out the Performatrin Ultra next time I'm in a Pet Valu. That is their house brand food but I'm not familiar with the Ultra. Pet Valu is not my favourite environment but that's another story. I would be glad to see them offer a house brand food with some quality. For now I'll be sticking to Nutro. As for canned, the only one I would buy (did buy) is Canidae (spelled right???). They make awesome food and I would feed the dry, but like the Wellness, its too expensive to feed the crew. Find out who actually manufactures the food you buy. Menu Foods manufactures I think 90% of all canned house brand food and they have been know for animal testing in a not so nice way.
I've also heard CSFPLS is great stuff, never checked it out as it isn't sold where I shop. Sometime I'll see it and check out the ingredients.
Old September 14th, 2004, 06:17 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Kona's on the purple (active) Nutro max dry, and the chicken lamb Nutro max canned food, she loves it. My parents feed their dogs Nutro also, Daisy's on the senior stuff, and Rocky's on the regular? (yellow bag) One thing about Nutro that I've found is that the pieces are pretty small, I don't think Kona even chew's half of them...
Old September 14th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflat
FYI Nutrience is a store brand, packaged for Rolf C. Hagen company. It is a line of food offered to independant pet stores so that they have "an exclusive" food line. It is not a high quality food. Glad you are thinking of switching, Nutro is much better. Wellness is an excellent food , but can be too rich for some animals bellies. I cannot afford to feed it to my crew, or I would try it.

I just switched my cat (pepper) to wellness. you say it can be too rich for some animals bellies?
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Yes, I've heard it can be, although I have not tried it myself. I think with gradual switching (no more than 10% new food added every other day) any adverse effect (runny poop or vomiting) can be eliminated. If you are switching over at this rate and your pet experiences these effects it may be the wrong food for your dog or cat.

Last edited by Cflat; September 15th, 2004 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add "cat"
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:57 PM
~Cat Servent~

LOL....I buckled! I sat on the floor of the pet store with the clerk and compared ingredients in the higher end foods....and well....I ended up with the Wellness. More than I wanted to be spending but she told me that with better food they tend to eat less??? True?

I'm hoping so...but my furbabies are so worth it! And I am switching the kittens over to an all Nutro diet too.

I am so not running this house anymore!!!!
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Since I switched Pepper over to Wellness she seems to be eating more than she was, amybe she likes the taste better. It is a little high priced but I only have one to feed.. for now