Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM

Lightbulb Off leash dog parks

Does anyone have alot of experience with off leash dog parks in their area? We do not have one hear yet, but a group that I belong to is trying to get information from places that do have them, what works, what doesn't, how people feel about them?
Any input would be great!!

:love:
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM

personally I am not a fan of dog parks, I find too many people take their dogs that don't obey and issues start. I used to take my little dog (now I own a pitbull and they are not dog park dogs) but there were too many dogs that didn't listen and were nasty.
some things I think are important for a dog park are: an enclosed in area, like a fence around it (as the ones I have been to have been open); Rules posted, although the dogs can't read them maybe the people will; I think there should be a number one can call if there are issues ie someone not obeying the rules or taking aggressive dogs there.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:45 AM
-

Both PEDPA and Lezzpezz have been instrumental in getting dogparks into Picton and London respectively - hopefully they will chime in here.

Dogparks in Toronto are all very different - so much depends upon the users. We have two in the Moore Park Ravine system both of which are hosted by the THS - they're completely fenced, natural environments within the ravine. One of them even has a stream running through (ohhhh - the MUD!) it which the grrrls love to no end. As the people who use these parks have made a real effort to get down there, they are "serious" about giving their doggies a chance to romp, socialize and tear around. The same goes for our two dog beaches. Other parks we have gone to seem to be more about neighbours socializing while the dogs are left to their own devices. I'm not crazy about dog parks which abut a street - sometimes that squirrel is just a LITTLE too much temptation. In the Sunnybrook off-leash area there are containers strapped onto lamposts with bags - great idea. My dream dogpark includes a water fountain for people and dogs, an all-season washroom and a doggie wading pool.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Hi
I used to think off- leash parks were great until I got a dog. We have one in Guelph. My dog Mikey is only about 16lbs and he was brutally attacked at an off leash dog park. ( Mikey was on a leash) I think if you are going to take your dog be very aware of the other dogs and owners. I don't suggest taking anything smaller than a Lab. Some ownerslet their dogs off leash - just to see how they react with other dogs - not a good idea.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Howdy!

And here I am!

check out our website for London, www.londondogownersassociation.ca

It shows that we have success and resistance in building parks. Big battle on the 16th! We really try to keep current with updating this site.

Much of our info was gleened from many cities worldwide and this has been invaluable to us when designing and maintaining parks.

Start with taking a boo at our site and I can send you a list of tools that we used as guidelines and ideas for our group. We work closely with the city and are one of the only cities that has full funding provided by the city of London. That in itself is very rare! In most municipalities, dog park groups acutally have to fundraise all by themselves with no funding whatsoever from the city. Lucky us!!!!

We have been visited and emailed as we are now becoming an example to other places trying to get parks!

Let me know what type of other stuff you need!

Congrats on deciding to create parks!

Lezzpezz
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

a bit more...

LDOA is all about responsible pet ownership, as well as off leash parks. We find that we must educate, Educate, EDUCATE! at the parks (and on the street when we see dog owners), be it about keeping the leash on the dog UNTIL you are in the park, picking up your dogs poop, actually getting OUT of your vehicle and tending to your dog, (yes, there are knuckleheads that just drive up, dump dog and sit and smoke and read....)....

We have quite a lot of varying literature that we hand out at the parks, stick on park users' windshields, is on our website, info booths that we set up around town periodically, (library very good for allowing week long displays!).

We try to participate at any and all dog related fundraisers, such as Humane Society annual walk, Guide dogs fundraising walk, Western Fair pet shows, that sort of thing, to get our name out there and to gather membership and spread the word about our efforts.

It is really beneficial to get your name out there and work with other animal related organizations and has worked well in our favour. We are actually hosting a doggy conference this weekend and a number of pet-related organizations called US!! to see if they could be involved! Our reputation is growing! and the city is fully supportive of our efforts! They love the fact that we are all about educating the public and responsible dog ownership. We have covered many angles, not just park behaviour.

Will think and send more....
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I just had my first ever dog park experience a few wks ago. it was great. the dog park we went to is at a dog daycare/training/boarding/agility facility. It was completely fenced, and the rules were clearly posted. All dogs MUST be people friendly AND dog friendly. You must clean up after your dog(s). Poop bags and pooper-scoopers were provided at the gate. and periodically, a staff member of the facility would stop by to be sure everything was going smoothly.

Whenever a new dog & owner came in through the gate, each person either took hold of their dog, or was sure to keep the dogs from bombarding the new person or getting past the gate. proper introductions were done between dogs - the hello sniffs - then off they all went.

we had a truley great time - I met some great dog loving people, and my dog got tons of exercise & social time. I'll most likey go back to this park because it's located AT a dog school. Most of the people who frequent this park are serious about following the rules because they attend the school.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Thumbs up Dog Parks YAY!

Hi There! I sent you a private message .. hopefully you get it. I'm completely pro dog park and I'm willing to help anyone that wants to open one up! I left my email addy for you too.! Good Luck!
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrye
Some ownerslet their dogs off leash - just to see how they react with other dogs - not a good idea.
Sorry, but isn't the point of off-leash parks to let your dogs Off Leash? How is it a "bad idea"????
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Long Term Member

I don't mind the off leash parks, although Shyla, when paired up with Pepper is a growly little girl... and Pepper, weather he's alone or not is a barking terror to other dogs... so I can't have them in an offleash park together.
But I love taking Shyla to them alone, she is quite shy, hence her name... but she does sometimes get along with other dogs, so its okay...
I think the only thing to watch with in offleash parks is that your dog is close to you and not pissing other dogs off, because I've seen WAY too many fights in my days at offleash parks...
Its not your responsibility to take care of other peoples dogs but sometimes they just don't think... so its always wise to watch your dog pretty good...
Not to mention those sick dog-nappers... THATS HORRIBLE.
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:27 PM

I had great experiences at dog parks with my dog up until tonight when he was attacked by a doberman pinchser ... you can see my thread in the general section tho
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:34 PM

Dog parks are safest if you know dog behavior, like signals of aggression and dominance, and if you ONLY go there for your dog. So many people go there for themselves, thinking it is for their dog, but then they don't realize their dog getting annoyed and tired and then things go wrong "all of a sudden".

When you are in a dog park, your absolute priority is watching your dog. If you aren't watching your dog 100%, you may as well warm up the car to go to the vet...

Also, I always tell people if they are not comfortable in a situation (i.e. bullying, dominant behavior, fearful behavior, etc) then leave. Don't let people tell you what is normal or not for your dog. YOU know your dog (if you don't, you're not ready for a dog park) so you make the call.

In the same token, you are supposed to know your dog so if anything else happens, YOU are supposed to be the one to react to your dog. If other people are pulling your dog out of fights, you should NOT be in a dog park.

After all that, dog parks are reasonably safe.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Dog parks are safest if you know dog behavior, like signals of aggression and dominance, and if you ONLY go there for your dog. So many people go there for themselves, thinking it is for their dog, but then they don't realize their dog getting annoyed and tired and then things go wrong "all of a sudden".

When you are in a dog park, your absolute priority is watching your dog. If you aren't watching your dog 100%, you may as well warm up the car to go to the vet...

Also, I always tell people if they are not comfortable in a situation (i.e. bullying, dominant behavior, fearful behavior, etc) then leave. Don't let people tell you what is normal or not for your dog. YOU know your dog (if you don't, you're not ready for a dog park) so you make the call.

In the same token, you are supposed to know your dog so if anything else happens, YOU are supposed to be the one to react to your dog. If other people are pulling your dog out of fights, you should NOT be in a dog park.

After all that, dog parks are reasonably safe.
Yah I agree, and like I said we've never had a problem. I don't even pay attention as in playing with anyone elses dog. I'm there watching my dog, calling my dog to come back if I think he's playing to rough (hes a boxer so he likes to bounce and i dont want him trampling anyone ) and I saw this doberman barking a lot.. didn't like it, was about to pack up *cleaning up yukkies* and leave and this doberman came over.. and started chasing apollo ( my dog ) and jumped on him and attacked. My husband went to pull this girls dog off ours and she just stood there calling her dog
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:36 AM

We go to dog parks at least once a week. Seattle has a couple that are very nice, and have lake or Sound access so the dogs can swim.

However, your dog must be watched constantly. Gabby has has a couple incidents over the last couple years (no injuries at all). All have been with smaller dogs that bit her face while trying to get her ball. As a result she's now protective of her ball and sometimes bullys smaller dogs. When I see her doing this (which isn't all the time) we leave. She's Ok with dogs that are the same size or larger than her. Basically I just watch her and keep her busy and she's fine.

Here's a link to the off-leash association here in Seattle. It may have helpful information if you're looking to get one started in your area.

http://www.coladog.org/index.php

Here's a pic of Gabby swiming on lake Washington with her ball last summer.
Attached Images

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Smile

Thanks so much everyone for all their input!! The websites are great resources.
We are slowing getting started with this and don't know how well it will go over. Unfortunately, Thunder Bay is know for the "not in my backyard" syndrome for just about everything!
We are hopeful that things will progress.
Thank you Thank you Thank you again!!

Lori
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Long Term Member

Lori,
I went for a vacation in Thunder Bay a few years ago and I loved the parks they had...
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Luckily though,most people who are the "not in my backyard" types have dogs in those backyards! Like I said, we'll help you out with anything you need!

good luck!
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM

Waffle just had his first experience in an off leash park last week. Since he's a small dog and scare of the big dogs he didn't really get to play. But the people there are nice. There's a care taker that plants the flower and make sure there's water for the dogs. There's shade for owner to sit. Other owners seem to know each other already. They are nice to inform you that if your dog did your business. So it keeps the place clean and nice enviroment. The one I went to isn't listed on there for some odd reason. But it's Near Woodbine and hwy7
Email me and I can tell you more deails
Link to off leash park: http://www.toronto.ca/parks/dogs.htm
Link on how to set up off leash park: http://www.torontodogs.com/parks.htm