Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Unhappy I need help with my doggy

Hello. my name is Cathy and one of dogs is Miko.
Miko is a pom and so he has alot of hair but when my mom moved us into a house in the woods he started to lose hair. we found out he was allergic to fleas so since then I've made sure he never gets infested. he's 15 so he
s lost some teeth too. But for the past year he chews on his hind legs and rips the hair out and it get stuck in his mouth. I have to cut it out of his teeth almost every week. I've gotten shampoo and sprays and tried to control it cuz i'm always trying to stop him cuz he can chew and pull until he's bleeding. I don't know how to help him and i really want to because he's my best friend. If someone could help that would be great
HELPPPP
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Have you tried topical application such as revolution or a similar brand you can get at the vet? It is applied every month on the back of the neck and absorbs into the blood stream through the skin, when fleas bite they die.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you had him to the vet for a complete check-up? If I am not mistaken, there are some diseases that can cause dogs to chew on their feet and chew their hair off.
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Exclamation Relax and Take Miko to the Veterinarian's

Quote:
Originally Posted by catquiles View Post
Hello. my name is Cathy and one of dogs is Miko.
Miko is a pom and so he has alot of hair but when my mom moved us into a house in the woods he started to lose hair. we found out he was allergic to fleas so since then I've made sure he never gets infested. he's 15 so he
s lost some teeth too. But for the past year he chews on his hind legs and rips the hair out and it get stuck in his mouth. I have to cut it out of his teeth almost every week. I've gotten shampoo and sprays and tried to control it cuz i'm always trying to stop him cuz he can chew and pull until he's bleeding. I don't know how to help him and i really want to because he's my best friend. If someone could help that would be great
HELPPPP
He's old...my sister's min pin died 2 months ago, named Jessie. He was old, but that ain't the point. He would chew his paws till they bled, kind of like what you're describing with Miko but not with his fur (Jessie practically had no fur). It's apparently seen in a lot of older dogs. Take him to the vet and he/she will have a solution. And the fact that he bleeds, ! Poor Miko, he sounds so CUTE
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM

problem!!!

hey i think there is some allergic problem...go and have a proper checkup for your dog..this might happen due to many reasons...proper checkup will definately solve your problems...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM

Agreed, take him to the vet. My dog suffers from flea allergies as well and my vet has advised me to give him a small amount of benadryl in the past, but definitely check with your vet before you do anything.

Tags
dog, skin