Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Some People are so STUPID

I read in tonights Sudbury Star about a 6 year old the was bitten by a german sheppard. Oh horrors. The kid received 4 stitches on his lip. (He will have more stitches on his face if he lives here in hill billy haven and plays hockey or football when he is older)

Well to finish the story the parents took their son to a party where they were the DJ at a friends. They said the dog jumped at their kid and bit him. Then they go on a rant about pitbulls..Yada Yada Yada.

Then further down they say their kid approached the dog from behind and petted it. If I know kids, he probably scared the crap out of the poor dog. 4 small stitches, I'd say that was a piss off and leave me alone bite.

Again where were the parents? And the owners of the dog should have had the dog in it's crate or some where safe, away from the people. God knows how many germs that poor dog picked up from that kid..( Just joking on that one. I know all bites are serious) Again another moron in the making...

I know when we were kids, if we knew there was a mean dog around, we stayed clear of it. I remember my neighbours dog when I was a kid had a mean streak in it. It was the biggest white sheppard I have ever seen. It was ok when the owners were around. When I used to visit and there was no one home, that dog used to tree me. And believe me I stayed in the tree untill they got home. Yes I feel sorry for the kid, too bad he had dumb parents, I also feel sorry for the dog. They might have to put it down. :sad:

Last edited by White Wolf; August 10th, 2005 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Good story, I just added paragraphs to make it easier to read.
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Helicopter Champion

hmmm ... four stitches in a lip wound is nothing. I split my lip on a skate blade when I was a kid and received 10 stitches. I wouldn't be surprised if it was merely tooth meets lip accidentaly and not in a bite. For a GSD that would not be much of a bite to cause a lip cut.

Perhaps the dog was so excited to see the kid that when he jumped up he accidently caught him with a tooth on his lip (or a front nail cut him).
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Too bad the kid got hurt. But the mentality these days is that a dog should be as benevolent and harmless as a teddy bear and never EVER lift a lip to anyone or anything. Even chasing a cat causes gasps of horror from people these days! What the heck is going on???

While dogs are being sentenced to die for anything less than perfect behavior 100% of the time, murderers, child molesters and rapists are free to walk the streets, a la Karla Homolka. Are dogs being used as scapegoats or what?

Quote:
I know when we were kids, if we knew there was a mean dog around, we stayed clear of it
Right. If a dog snapped or a cat scratched, our parents just told us "Leave it alone then!" No one called the media, the police or a lawyer or screamed for the death of the animal.

This is how we learned to treat animals with respect.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

The poor child.If the dog was not comfortable with kids he should have been put away and not subjected to it.I am not going to assume that the dog did not bite the child,I saw the other child in the paper yesterday with stitches all over her face,I personally think it is horrible when a child is badly bit, particularly in the face.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If the dog was not comfortable with kids he should have been put away and not subjected to it.
Right. Too bad common sense cannot be legislated. It's just lucky the kid wasn't hurt worse than this.
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

It's funny you mentioned common sense LR! Here's something I read this morning.........................

I'm sorry, but I guess you didn't hear about Common Sense. It was tragic.
Here's what I heard.

The Death of Common Sense

OBITUARY

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend
by the name of Common Sense
who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was
since his birth records were long ago lost
in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated
such value lessons as knowing when to come
in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and
that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies
don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting
strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well
intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.
Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment
for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for
using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for
reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
It declined even further when schools were
required to get parental consent to administer aspirin
to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a
student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as
the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches
became businesses; and criminals received
better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a
woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of
coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was
awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his
parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his
daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.
He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights
and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was
gone. If you still know him please tell others about his passing,
if not join the majority and do nothing.

Author Unknown
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Common sense isn't quite as common as one would hope...

Glad to see they felt that mentioning pitbulls was warranted.
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

UNcommon sense more like.
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Copper'sMom, that was almost too true to be funny. I've passed it along to everyone I know.

It really is too bad that the child was bitten. I know how easy it is to freak out when your child is bleeding - my oldest had a matching set of stitches on either side of his forehead before the age of 3. But really - once the bleeding has stopped, calm down and listen to the whole story before go up in arms. If this is the kind of party where a DJ was in service, this clearly wasn't a quiet dinner party with a couple of close friends, then yeah, the dog should have been put somewhere quiet and out of the way for the night. As for the parents of the child - if you both must be DJ at a party, then have your child babysat for the night. Something tells me this wasn't an alcohol-free gathering.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

When I was little, I was bitten in the face by a cocker spaniel. The dog almost ripped my bottom lip off and put two good gouges in the top one. I don't remember the bite itself but my mom tells me that it was really bad - blood everywhere. I do remember petting the dog (I was sitting on the steps with the dog one step higher than me) and I remember some neighbor kids coming up behind the dog. I was really little, but I think that those kids did something to the dog - and he lunged at the closest thing - me. I don't remember my mom ever demanding that the dogs owners ever do anything to the dog. Although ironically I did meet the dogs owner just a few years ago. He was very mean and told me that I got what I deserved and that if I would've been his child, I would've also gotten a spanking. I told him that if the bite was my fault that the bite itself and the suffering I went through was punishment enough although I won't post the actual wording I used. I do have to say that I've never liked cocker spaniels or little dogs in general and I know that's why.

I was always taught that if you get bit by a dog - 90% of the time it is your own fault. I've found that to be true. I've also noticed that in today's society, it's easier to destroy the dog than admit that you or your child was at fault.
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija
I read in tonights Sudbury Star about a 6 year old the was bitten by a german sheppard. Oh horrors. The kid received 4 stitches on his lip. (He will have more stitches on his face if he lives here in hill billy haven and plays hockey or football when he is older)

Well to finish the story the parents took their son to a party where they were the DJ at a friends. They said the dog jumped at their kid and bit him. Then they go on a rant about pitbulls..Yada Yada Yada.
Even though it was a shepard, seems like some people still want to blame pit bulls

I agree some poeple are so stupid
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's_MA
Even though it was a shepard, seems like some people still want to blame pit bulls
Oh, sure! Didn't you know? Pitbulls are also responsible for global warming and the high gas prices.
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

(sarcasm loaded)And a pitbull was driving the plane that crashed in 9/11! Ban them! (end sarcasm)

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually all pit bulls called a meeting with the rest of the canine species let them know that they were going to be regulated and being watched by law enforcement so they couldn't continue being on the fore front of taking over the world. SO they appointed the sheppard to do its bidding. Kinda like the mob you know.

I don't want to say this too loud but I think Capone is a ring leader... Oh no I think I just got the kiss of death. I have said too much!
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

doggy mafia

......well if you need a covert operative to let of bombs, (stink bombs, that is), you can hire my husky, Lennox.....he is the king of farts, strong enough odour to knock out a few city blocks!
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I think Daisy is incognito...she's disguised as a dumbass. No one would ever suspect her...
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:38 AM

They can recruit Roxy as their Jack Russell Terrorist. She not disguised, but very hard to catch.
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

You guys are too funny! LMAO!
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM

really stupid?

You all blame the owner and the parents for not keeping the child away from the dog but what if this was always a very nice dog and never had any problems around children? Everyone would think that the dog wouldn't bite. I've been told many times by people with big dogs "He won't bite." The fact is that nobody knows when or if a dog will bite regardless of breed. A previously calm dog could suddenly turn. So should all dogs be kept away from children? You are essentially stating that people with kids shouldn't get dogs as pets. Is that fair?

I think that by assuming these people are stupid and to blame for the accident is a little cruel and unfair. Many people walk through life never expecting a dog to attack. If that is stupid then there needs to be education for all. Rather than calling it stupid, perhaps ignorant would be a fairer description.
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho
You all blame the owner and the parents for not keeping the child away from the dog but what if this was always a very nice dog and never had any problems around children? Everyone would think that the dog wouldn't bite. I've been told many times by people with big dogs "He won't bite." The fact is that nobody knows when or if a dog will bite regardless of breed. A previously calm dog could suddenly turn. So should all dogs be kept away from children? You are essentially stating that people with kids shouldn't get dogs as pets. Is that fair?

I think that by assuming these people are stupid and to blame for the accident is a little cruel and unfair. Many people walk through life never expecting a dog to attack. If that is stupid then there needs to be education for all. Rather than calling it stupid, perhaps ignorant would be a fairer description.
I think the point being made here is that no dog should be with a child unsupervised and that the dog is the one who will get blamed no matter what actually happened. No one said anything about if you have kids you shouldn't have dogs or that dogs should be kept away from children. Any dog can bite and therefore, should be supervised when around young children.
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I think that fact that children's mannerisms can be sporatic and upredictable. A child can be fine with a dog, until they make some motion that scares or startles and confuses the dog - this is when things can go wrong. Children and dogs are fine, but you cannot trust a dog 100% of the time around children, just as most dogs don't trust most children 100% of the time. Supervision is the key not seperation.

I don't believe my dog would ever harm a child. I have socialized her with babies and toddlers since she was a pup. I would still not leave her with children unsupervised. It is a risk I am not willing to take. If something was to ever happen, I am sure it would have to be provoked. I could not live with myself if some incendent happened and Roxy had to be pts.

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; August 12th, 2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Helicopter Champion

My Monty would never take the offensive against a child (or adult for that matter) and in the presence of a well mannered person I would trust him completely, when he is awake (he will 'sleep growl' if touched from mid chest to his butt when he is conked out and has on occassion started to bare teeth when startled). But, if a child were to walk up and poke him in the face or pull hard on his ears or jump on him, I suspect that 1 time in 5 he would take action. So, that being the case, it would be irresponsible of me to allow a young child to be unsupervised with him based on what may happen.