Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you call the rescue group and see if they can do something
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM

The rescue group is the one who called me and you don't want to know how that conversation went.

Boils down to her logic: "She'll recognize your voice and come running to you back in the barn ".

which is very similar to her logic from last week:
" Why would they escape? it's such a beautiful barn."
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,C-S,that's what we were afraid of.She must have gotten scared and up the tree she went:sad:
Hopefully if it quiets down she'll get down on her own and go where she was fed
Maybe it was not the right thing for them,but what alternative did you really have??
What about the lady with all the cats,who is involved with the rescue??
After all,she was the one organizing the move for the cats,could she not help you??

Oops,ignore that question,you were quicker than me...and no,cats do not usually come down,even if they know you,she's probably terrified up there!!
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM

The only time it will quiet back down is at night but the barn owner intends on locking her out since she doesn't want any wildlife entering her barn.

Tomorrow,they are scheduled to cut the trees around the barn so, if she is anywhere near, she will take off the other way.

I am so upset, so mad that I can't speak. I'm trying very hard to control my mouth around to the rescuer and barn owner.

I told them, word for word, that if they didnt lock up the cats, the cats would take off and I would get a call within a month that started with the phrase: " I don't understand, This never happened before."

Within 2 weeks, I got the call TODAY and she started with THAT exact sentence.

I begged her to keep them locked up. She dismissed every logical argument I gave her with " WHY WOULD THEY ESCAPE? WHERE WOULD THEY GO?"

Now, Louise won't make it the week alone in the woods. She was the cat that couldn't make a decision without the other cats. Wouldn't eat without them. wouldn't come without them. She is completely dependant on the others. That's it for her now!

I don't know how I'm going to keep my cool tonight. There's nothing I can say to them anyway.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Your first thought is Louise...she needs to get out of the tree and you may be her only hope. Can you get a net and get her tangled in it...how high is the tree...
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM

The SPCA said they will harm themselves in a net and doesn't recommend I use one.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

she may break a leg, but at least she'll be safe
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM

I don't know how to do that. Let's say I'm close enough to toss a net and she doesn't take off from fear before it lands on her.

What do I do after she's in the net? How do I get her in a cage? or disentangle her after that? She'll rip me to shreds.

If I leave her entangled, how do I keep her in the net until a vet opens tomorrow? she'll kill herself from the stress.

I'm waiting to go there. But I don't know what to do once I get there. I'm gonna have a can of tuna and hope she'll follow me in the barn or the cage. She won't follow me in.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

If the net is big enough and you're wearing gloves you'll be Ok....as for the tuna, she's too scared to think food..she will not come, let alone follow you to the barn...you will have to access the situation when you get there...I really hope it goes ok. Is your husband going to help...the less people the better, I think
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Boss-lady!

catsnatcher, I am so sorry this turned out this way. I wish you luck tonight.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM

how do I throw the net? Isn;t she going to take off the minute she sees it flying over her head?

My heart is ripped to shreds, Skryker.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

you hope to have it over the cat and if the cat jumps it will be entangled in the net. Once that happens, relaese it so she doesn't get hurt and won't chock herself..again it depends on the size of the net too. We use to use huge fishermen nets...this is just a thought. I don't know if its the safest way to do it. I think I would just want her back one way or another. If she really did feel comfort at the barn she may go back. If she is anything like Tiger and Charlie, she will not go back and will escape...just like CHarlie is trying to do now.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM

If she's still in the tree, the tree is too high. I can;t climb it. They are very thin long long trees. No place to rest midway.

If she's on the ground, then we have to go over her with the net... I don;t know if it will work.

The tuna fish was my only plan.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

she's really spooked. It's an area that doesn't smell familiar to her so the tuna might not be good enough for her...with all the construction, maybe they can lend you a ladder....I am just throwing ideas out. Like you I don't know the situation at all, or Louise...I know that you really thought of keeping her because she was so sweet. maybe she will recognise your voice and come to you.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM

The only thing that might work is a professional tree cutter goes up (too high for me to go up. It's really very high) and throw a net while she's up there. Then when she falls and she's entangled, how do I get her untangled? I don;t see this as a possible.

I know you don't have an answer. I've called the SPCA, the Controle des Faunes and few other rescues and noone had any ideas.
They all said she'll come down eventually but no way to catch her without a humane trap.

Some options that they suggested that wouldnt work:

1. Tranquilizer in her food. (she'll become sitting prey)
2. Throwing a net. (will hurt her badly)

I don;t know what to do. I'm going there to watch her escape one last time!
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

When a cat is spooked it will not eat...go and access the situation. DO you want me to go with you
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I don't know what you would be able to do. Do you have gloves and a net?

She only has tonight' until sundown. Then the door is shut and tomorrow, when they are cutting the trees around the barn, she's gonna take off. She wont come back.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I would use sky gloves and wear a jacket so she can't scratch you. But if you can't climb, I don\t know what you can do. She won't come down. You can call the fire department in that area and see if they can come out with their ladder. I dont know what to say, but I feel for you. I just wish that all the luck is still in your favour and these cats can all be reunited one way
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww C-S,what a heartbreaking situation,poor little Louise,poor you..
I don't honestly think a net would work,if you miss she could fall to the ground.
When Chico was stuck up our tree,our ladder did not reach far enough,but we lured him down with food,so he was close enough to grab.
You can definetly not do it on your own.Wish I was there,even if only as moral support and to give a hug
These people must have a ladder to lend you,if they have a farm,or are they totally uninterested in helping???
They are supposed to be cat-lovers who on earth got that notion
I can't even bear to look at Louises pic,knowing where she is:sad:
It was pouring rain here today,what about where you are??If it rained maybe she'll come down Lot's of hugs and good luck
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Well, I just got back from the barn and there's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that Louise was stuck in the conveyor belt overnight and in the morning was shot out from the conveyor belt into the outside. She ran up the tree and has been there since. So she must be in shock. The bad news is, I left the barn tonight with her still in the tree.

The good news is that she hasn't left the area or the tree. With all the activity around the barn and all the comings and goings of the workers, she didn't take off into the woods. She stayed in the tree at about 100 feet from the barn.

I was ready to bring her down with a ladder and a blanket but when I arrived, i realized that she would not be caught easily. If we missed, we risked the chance of her taking off into the woods rather than being safe and near the barn.

Tomorrow they cut the trees down so it's important she goes in the barn tonight.

So, the barn owner, left the garage door open with food inside for Louise. When the night falls, we are hoping she will come down from the tree and go inside the barn herself looking for a familiar place and food.

The other option of catching her was too risky to take.

The barn owner was more concerned than I earlier gave her credit for. She is not as nonchalant about Louise being stuck outside as I first thought.

She will call me once she has news. I'll post the update.
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Senior Contributor

C-S,although not exactly what I wanted to hear, at least Louise knows where the food and a safe place is,I hope she ventured down in the night
As for the barn-owner,we can at times misjudge people,if they are not AS passionate about animals as we are,but still care for and love them,in their own way.
If Louise is anything like my cats,she'll be terrified of machinery and noisy vehicles and will hopefully run to the barn
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

ANY NEWS YET?
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:27 AM

She's not in the tree. That's all I know. I don't know if she's in the garage, though I doubt she is. But I was told that this morning she wasn't in the tree.

They are suppose to call me back. As long as they haven't, then there's probably no sign of her.

She was so terrified when we left her last night.
:sad:

Quite coincidentally, I can't find Thelma today.
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Boss-lady!

Again, , catsnatcher. :sad: I was hoping for better news (as you were). that she shows up in the barn, hungry and ready to settle in after an adventure.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old August 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,C-S it must be tearing you apart:sad:
I get knots in my stomach every time I open your posts and then a lump in my throat..
I know you feel guilty,it's just a natural reaction,the 5 of them were relatively happy together at your house as long as you fed and sheltered them.
But you,I and everyone else know,they would not have survived next winter without you.
You did the best thing you could to find them homes:love:
I hope Tiger and Charlie will eventually settle in at CPietras house..I wish they would all know what's good for them and calm down,start to enjoy their safe places.
To Louise,hurry back into the barn,please,please
C-S :grouphug
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you heard anything about Louise?
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM

No. The barn owner said she must be nearby that she would leave food out for her.

She said she would keep an eye out but that's about all she's willing to do.
I don't have any options or control or any influence over her. Nor do I have say on how she handles the situation since I did give her the cats to care for.

I have to assume the worst for her.

If I get Puma and bring her back, I may kill all chances of Louise ever returning to the barn.
If I bring Thelma, I risk losing her too but open the chance that they may find eachother nearby...

I don't know what to do. I can't think straight.
My heart is so broken. Because of my bad decision, she's now alone in the forest somewhere with no where to go.

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; August 16th, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww C-S,I don't know what to say,except I am very,very sorry,both for you and poor little Louise and hope she'll find her way back to the barn
Is nobody trying to find her??? Would she come if they call her?Probably not:sad:
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Why don't you put an add in the Hudson Gazette, (I believe it covers St.Lazare) make a short article about the cat, how you rescued her since she was a kitten cared for her all these years along with her friends.

Now you found the cats a nice home (barn) and she's missing. Include a picture of her in the article. I am sure they would except it since it's realted news. You never know, maybe someone found her or saw her.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

C-S,any news yet???
I suppose if you found Louise you would have let us know:sad: