Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Diezel

Diezel is my friend's husband's mom's farm dog. His mom is away on holiday and he (the hubby) went everyday to feed and play with him. Unfortunately, his little girl is sick now and at hamilton kids. So after work in cambridge he has to come back to waterloo feed/play with diezel then drive to hamilton to join his wife at bedside vigil. Theyre a bit overwhelmed now I so I offered to feed Diezel (though I never met him before). The wife is kind of afriad of dogs and told me nono he'll bite you , he's vicous he's a guard dog. He lives outside and he is suppsed to be mean as that's his 'job'.

Today she came back to waterloo to get some stuff from her house and asked me if id like to come to see diezel when she goes to feed him. She is so scared of him she throws the food over the fence and doesnt dare go in the gate (its electric :sad. He cant come near the fence because of his collar.

Well...I went to see this 'vicous' dog and here are the pics My friend was so terrified she told me not to go in at all and she couldnt do anything if he bit me. he did bark at me a bit but he seemed calm and was wagging his tail, trying to come closer but then whimpering when he got close to the electric fence thing...so I braved it and went in. He's a white german shep. I think Ill be feeding/playing with him from now on. He isnt trained at all though and keeps jumping up. Btw, the wife is terrified of my kitties so I think she just is scared of animals in general but anyhooo...

She is so scared she throws the food over bag and all. :sad: This is a very well loved dog by the way, her husband adores him.
Name:  diezel1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  diezel3.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  diezel5.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  65.5 KB

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

He is a beauty,looks like my neighbors Fate,however he should never be left alone with that electric collar,I've heard some horror stories about those:sad:
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Name:  diezel6.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  76.8 KB
He had just eaten and I reaaaaaly didnt want him to lick my face, lol
Name:  diezel7.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  71.9 KB

Old February 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I know chico but he's not my dog :sad::sad:

Old February 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yep, nasty pup for sure. He is very handsome. Thank you for offering to feed him.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Its a big farm though and he has a lot of space to run in, heated water, a big barn and 3 warm dog houses with lotsa straw stuffed in there.

Old February 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, Diezel's a beautiful boy, onster! Looks like a real killer, too... I think he's going to enjoy your visits immensely.

And I hope your friend's daughter is better soon.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster,I am not sure,but I think it was something about thunderstormsor just rain,the dogs got burned
He's a lucky boy to have you,imagine throwing food,bag and all to a pup
He certainly looks really dangerous.
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Lol.. Some gaurd dog he is

Lol.. Hes a cutie for sure!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG... vicious dog... he might....

lick Onster to death

pooor puppers :sad:
I'm so glad you met and can help him out a bit now. Do whatever you can, i'm sure he will appreciate anything you can offer him, even if just hugs and kisses and a little attention, it's so better than nothing

I hope your friends daughter is OK and better real soon. It's such a hard thing to have sick kids for the family
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
~Cat Servent~

Clearly that is one viscious killing machine there! Poor guy with one of those awful collars! At least he's got someone great to come feed him and love him up now! (and for the girl at the hospital too!)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ummmmm are you still alive, onster, or has this "vicious" dog smothered you with kisses

What a beautiful dog.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

lol to be honest I was a little scared just cuz of her stories. Plus he is a guard dog and I went in 'his' gate without his owner lol.

Theres something I dont understand though, he just puts his paws up on my chest and stays there Like its not a greeting..he just does that and we chill lol. Does it mean anything??

I wanted to flip out the contents of the bag of food (though he pretty much got everything!) but I was scared he might be food aggressive or something so I refrained.

I asked if he fetches or anything but she said he didnt. I threw him a stick and he ran after it but then didnt bring it back but then I threw another one and he did bring it back SO maybe he does, maybe he doesnt lol.

He doesnt really know much...he miiiight know sit I think. Im not sure when I told him to sit if he sat because he wanted to or because I told him lol.

I'd love to spend more time with him but Im not too dog savy. I think I may bring him a kong or something next time..or maybe a bone. He was such a suck

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, I have a question..do you think its safe to go visit him alone next time to feed him (cuz thats the point!).

Would he remember me or could his 'guard dog' mentality come on and then id be in hot water? My friend is worried and she told me to just throw the food over or stay in the range of the electric fence thing so I can run right back to it if soemthing happens. I think shes a chicken lol but I also dont wanna put myself in danger if you know what I mean

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Well if he is indeed a trained guard dog. You should be in no danger, Im pretty sure they arent allowed to attack. Just chase you down and drag you to the ground and hold you until the owners come. But if hes trained for it he wont hurt you.

Lol.. Except for the whole dragging you to the ground by his teeth thing.

loll. Dont worry kacee has done it to my brother lots of times before. He says it doesnt hurt.

I think its safe.A dog doesnt forget you if you gave him loves
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

ummm but the owners will be in another city and its farm land there arent really much in terms of neighbours.

LOL i think u just scared me more BM I dont wanna be cornered or dragged!!!

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I mean for a cat you can tell when you best back off or ure gonna getta hurt reaaaal bad LOL

The only reason I went in was because he wastn snarling or anything and after his initial barkfest at me he started wagging his tail. If he was going to 'turn on me' next visit he wouldnt just like bite me or something right, there would be signals no??

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster... you are wise to be cautious, he is a strange dog, don't be afraid though, just watch for signs that things are going on...
i'm not anykind of expert here so hopefully some one else will add to this but.. things to watch for
- ears laid back
- tail tucked down
- eyes wide open or squinted (fright or anger)

dogs, like humans, show emotion, watch him like you would a human.. look for signs of fear or aggression... if you see signs, calmly leave, ..... he'll give you signs

putting paws on your shoulders is a sign of dominance (I think).. he's trying to tell you he's the boss, he's as big as you, not in an aggressive way. At this point just let him be the boss... but again, watch for signs... he's the boss so you need to obey him, if he gives indication that you should leave him alone, just leave him.. don't argue Act a bit submissive to him. don't look him in the eye... if he wants something (like a stick), just give it to him. don't play tug of war or anything like that

Throwing a stick is great.... throw a thousand if it makes him/you happy

OK.. hope I haven't scared you .. no need to be scared, just be observant and all will be great!

Last edited by otter; February 14th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor

lol good thing you told me that. When I picked up the second stick he tried to take it from me but I said no and threw it. Maybe I shouldnt try to swipe it from his jaws I was also constantly looking him in the eye, he has real pretty ones. He was squinting a lot too, but I think that was out of pleasure from behind the ear scratchies.

Im not scared but definately will be more on edge when friend isnt there. Granted she doesnt interact with him but she feeds him and visits the house often, he knows her. She played with him when he was a pup. SO if I go alone it will definitely be a different scenario since he only met me once. I think maybe Ill try and feed him first and see how he is acting (wagging tail or no etc) then maybe try and go in the gate. Ill watch for signs he's getting annoyed with me...I think poor boy didnt want me to leave today :sad:

She told me he's the alpha male ..he isnt neutered (yet). They had a traumatic experience with their last dog that died after a spay so theyre gathering up the courage to neuter Diezel.

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Was leaning on me like this before I left...so he eventually stopped the whole paws must be on me thing

Name:  diezel.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  72.7 KB

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

You have to keep in mind though this is the woman that told me she was scared of bunduk because he was staring at her (his signature saucer eyes stare) "is he gonna bite me?? omg im scared" LOL

welll actually maybe its not that funny, given the chance he may have nommed her

So I have to take her fear with a grain of salt...

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

He's a handsome boy for sure.yep looks real like a real mean guard dog to me by the way he is loving the attention your giving him.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think you have anything to fear... you just need to be observant.
Being submissive to him is good if you are going to be alone.. just know that he might try and push you around a bit (it a joking, shove your brother kinda way).. cause he can, you're not gonna bite back

Just go in there happy to see him, happy voice, confident, don't be afraid

Squinty eyes are in pleasure too... just llike humans.. look at your face in the mirror a bit.. be happy, be sad, be afraid, be mad, be agressive.. look at what your face does... his will do similar

Just be aware... he will give you signs.... otherwise, enjoy each others company and HAVE FUN!
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

lol wanna come with me jagsdad ??? you can protect me

naaaah im not that scared, but thank you for the advice its much needed. I dont really know too much about dogs other than what I read here. My friend told that Diezel and her hubby play rough with eachother, pushing eachother around, wrestling etc. SHe also told me her MIL hurt her knee after Diezel pushed her to the ground, but she said it was a mistake and he was playing.

Ill let you know how it goes. I may be feeding him tomorrow

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM

He's a handsome boy and it's very good of you to take care of him. I'm guessing he's lonely, out there all alone.

I don't like those collars either, if memory serves me right I believe it's t-storms that can set them off, due to the electical current they can send out.

No expert here either but I think it's important that you stay calm and relaxed as most animals can sense what your feeling. Since he has met you and interacted with you, chances are he will remember you, your smell and your voice when he see's you. I don't know if it would make a difference but I'd wear the same coat, mitts and perhaps the same pants. Since he's been all over you wearing the same things will smell familiar to him. Ditto with what Otter said.

I'd bring him some treats too, maybe some hotdogs in an air tight baggy and then if you need to can distract him with those, if you need to leave calmly walk away, don't run.

I've been around a lot of dogs even aggressive ones, still no expert in anyway but, I have always just been calm and paid attention for any signs and no staring him down.

Also is he really a guard dog or do they just refer to him as one, is his purpose really just to alert the owners of someone on the property, just a voice so to speak.

I'm sure you'll do fine, your smart and from the pics he looks like he really enjoyed your visit.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
ummm but the owners will be in another city and its farm land there arent really much in terms of neighbours.

LOL i think u just scared me more BM I dont wanna be cornered or dragged!!!
Lol.. That wasnt my intention I doubt he would do it to you. Especially if you are giving him food. All I meant was he will not rip you to shreds or kill you. Its highly unlikely her would even hurt you. And if you dont put up a fight they wont be rough with your arm. When kacee does it she just pulls on the sleeve of your sweater or coat. So i woould wear something with sleeves just in case. lol..

Oh and ahh, If you have to leave because you start to feel threatened. BACK out slowly, as turning around can make you more vulnerable im pretty sure... And he will see it as you submitting to him. No sudden movements if he makes you feel threatened in anyway.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Dustybird - hot dogs, what a good idea!! Im sure he'll love those Even tho i wanted to wash my clothes (he still had food on his snout when he rubbed all over me..eww lol) i didnt so that they would smell familiar

He isnt actually trained a guard dog at all...they just call him that I guess. He barks like mad at everyone and everything apparently...so i guess more of an alerter?

thanks BM Ill have soooo much food on me he prob wont be able to move after let alone bite me At least I know hes up to date on all his shots so even if he does bite me I wont get rabies or anything

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Theres something I dont understand though, he just puts his paws up on my chest and stays there Like its not a greeting..he just does that and we chill lol. Does it mean anything??
Alot of dogs do that because it puts them on the same eye level as you, rather than you being above him. Plus it puts your face closer for kisses and it's kinda like a hug

Alot of dog people will sit on the floor with their dogs because it also puts them on the same level.

Of course you don't know this dog so I would not suggest anything of the sort

He's a cutie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Senior Contributor

hmmmmm u know maybe its a mix of dominance and that. I thought he was gonna start humping me to be honest, considering hes not neutered too!! But he didnt *phew* lol

It could be he just wanted close to me because like in the 3rd pic I posted if Put my hands out for him to put his paws on them he would be ok with that too, as long he was standing, you know?

Ok so I have a confession When I wanted to get out and diezel was following me so closely I was getting worried that hed get shocked as he got closer and then get mad at me or get upset we were leaving him alone and be forceful with me so I threw him one last stick and... ran

I know how shameful. :sad:

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Senior Contributor

btw see the red bag behind us..that would be yesterday's food bag

My friend is a good person, really. She is just petrified. The last time she was in alone with him she peed her pants when he jumped on her and screamed like no tomorrow (she told me today). So yeah...its just a fear she cant get over. She was almost at the point of tears today begging me not to go in the gate because she was scared for me.