Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Decoy Work Video *not on facebook*

Even the quietest whisper is louder than the loudest gunshot. When? When it speaks the TRUTH!
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM

OC you're gonna need some padding on your legs & knees! Those dog claws are gonna leave some marks. ouch.

Looks like you had a good session there, was the dog supposed to climb the fence there or was he over-eager? I guess that just shows you need to be alert at all times in there.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Growler, I wear a full bite suit because you don't know if the dog will go for a leg, arm, pect or in the case of the bitch I worked before this big boy...the crotch!!!!

And yes he was supposed to jump the fence to get me It was all a set up!

Even the quietest whisper is louder than the loudest gunshot. When? When it speaks the TRUTH!
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM

I could see the upper part of the bite suit, but the pants are not that easy to tell. I figured the dog was supposed to climb but since the 2nd dog was still in there thought maybe he was just too excited

crotch biting dog is gonna go over great with the male criminals might just scare them straight

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM

LOL!!!!! She is one bad bitch! Scared the crap out of my best friend when we first met her :P She hits hard and bites deep, she's gonna be amazing when she finishes her training!

The other dog you can hear in the video is a 6month old Dutch Shep pup I worked after Hunter. That night was actually the very first time she took a bite and she did really really good! I'll be working with her sister soon who is showing a lot of potential but needs a little more socialization before she earns a bite.

Old February 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

This is very disturbing. Why are these dogs kept in the dark in such a shabby environment?

What exactly are they being trained for? Professionally? Protection? Police work?

Sorry but I am confused. I don't seem to get it.
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't get it either Benmax

Last edited by poodletalk; February 11th, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

The place looks really dismal,please tell me they are not kept in there all the time.
I did not think training a police dog,is done that way...what's the purpose of training this beautiful dog to bite
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Benmax and Poodletalk, the dogs do not live in there!!!! The building is used simply to replicate real life situations. These dogs are training to be real police dogs or personal protection dogs. Think about it, if you're a fugitive you're not going to flaunt yourself in a happy open meadow on a bright sunny day, right? You'd want to hide, stay out of sight, go to unlikely places usually dark so you don't get caught. The dogs have to be comfortable working in that type of environment. He cant be scared of the creepy shadows or tight quarters. What good is a police dog who is scared of a creepy room? How can a police dog do his job effectively if he turns tail and runs?? the pen is just a temporary spot to put extra dogs whos waiting their turn to bite. But even during "rest" police dogs need to stay sharp. Teh video doesnt it show it well but Hunter was put in the pen and told to chill which he did. I greeted his handler and we all stayed civil. He got up when I shook hands with his handler but he stayed in the pen. when he jumped out was when I pretended to start beating on his handler which is exactly what his training and instincts tell him to do. Again, what good is a police dog who stays behind the fence and wtaches the policeman get beat up or even killed??? The dog has to learn when he is allowed to break the command and step in and when he is to remain chill and in the pen.

Chico, have you ever watched a police dog in action??? Part of their job is to take down a run away criminal. they are trained to bite and hold. They do not severely attack the person. They are never allowed to go for the head or face. Their purpose is to catch the criminal or stop the criminal's attack but with the least amount of serious damage. The dogs keep the criminals in one spot until the handlers can come and adress the situation (arrest the person). Dogs of course are much faster and more agile than humans plus they can find people hiding better than humans can.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwHQ...eature=related

Without the dog the criminal might have been faster than the policeman and he could have gotten away, maybe even ran into the school across the street! Before ANY dog earns a bite he must first pass massive socialization and obedience training. He can not tag a random civilian by any means! And he must be able to turn off the attack as fast as he turns it on. One word from the trainer and Hunter let go of me. He still stood watching me of course and never let me out of his sight be he was still watching. If the people are civil the dog is civil to the point of seeking attention from strangers even and loving a good pat or rub down.

Make sense?

Old February 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's OC,for explaining
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM

No problem There are many misconceptions about trained attack dogs. That's why my trainer and owner of this kennel also is more than willing to do educational demos at public events or schools.

Old February 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine used to tape episodes of Top Dog for me and there were some pretty impressive episodes of dogs doing police/protective work and competitions. If they didn't get "out" and release their hold as soon as they were told they didn't advance to the next level. I don't know that much about it, but there was one type of competition (I think it was called "ring sport" or "french ring" or something like that) where the dog even had to guard a basket while the handler was completely out of sight. Some of the dogs kept their feet in the basket while keeping an eye on the "bad guy" who was trying to steal the basket. All of this type of training is called schutzhund (sp?) isn't it?

I bet even with the protective gear you must sometimes feel a little beat up after training?

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Yes the basket guarding is a part of French Ring. There are different competitions out there, each one tests the dogs a little differently. There's French Ring, Mondio, Shutzhund, UKC Sport Dog, Street Protection, etc. These are all what you call "bitesport". A lot of ring sport dogs (especially in Shutzhund) would never even consider biting someone without a bite sleeve on. Their target is solely the sleeve. that's why its a huge reward to them when the decoy slips the sleeve off and the dog gets to parade around with it. Basically they just won the tug-o-war game.

Personal protection and police dogs are different because they are not focused on a sleeve or a person wearing a bite suit. They are focused on the "bad guy". Part of their training is seeing if they'll flare up on someone without a bite suit on. So me wearing evry day clothes might charge up to the handler and pretend to be about to hit them but of course stay outside of the range of getting bit. I've seen footage of ill-trained police dogs who couldnt target on the bad guy because their training focused too much on the bad guy wearing a sleeve. They just wouldn't bite a person without a sleeve on. this of course made it easy for said bad guy to get away.

Yup even through the bite suit you can feel the pinch of the bite. I'm left with bruises pretty much every time LOL These guys hit with a lot of power and speed and the bite force is shocking! Working the pups is a nice break from working the veterans LOL