Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Dogs are Quite Remarkable!!

Yesterday on our way taking some stuff to Medicine Hat..we had a flat! Such fun..not..so literally in the middle of nowhere on the bald prairie (that could be a song lyric!) So me and my Mom and Bayley..thank goodness the night before I decided to get a cell phone and had it with me charged and ready to go! Anyway, normally if I'm in the van and someone particularly men come anywhere near, Miss Bayley goes into major attack dog mode. So while we were waiting for the tow truck, at least 4 guys stopped to see if they could help..heheh lots of not bad looking guys work in the oil patch anyway, Bayley was such a good girl, not a yip or a yap or a growl!! Then I thought oh crap, how is she gonna handle the tow truck driver messing around and moving the van. Once again not a bark or growl out of her..don't know what she thought of riding up on the flatbed though, she would had a really good view out the window though!

Must admit it stressed me out a bit...but fortunately, the tow truck driver was awesome..my Mom has a hard time with her knees and this was a big truck but he was awesome helping her get in. I don't know if my stress made Bayley realize that she should be a good girl and keep quiet. One thing I was certainly glad we had her with us...she's just big enough and Shepherdy looking enough that people don't want to mess with her. Always makes me feel more comfortable.
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:38 AM

One of the great things about big dogs, even if the only harm they would ever do is put slobber on someone's pants they always feel like a guardian!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Good girl Bayley! I'm sure she sensed your tension, but also probably that you had it in control. Otherwise your tension might have made it worse for her. I agree with you about feeling safer with them. I always take at least one of the dogs if I have to drive somewhere, especially at night.
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was not long married, patty, living here without any close neighbors and Ian was away working, I had a visit from two very sus' looking guys who didn't really have much a reason to call in here, and when I went out with Rusty(below) on a lead they started asking could they pat him. They were too persistent if you know what I mean .Fortunately I had full confidence in this dog, he was a great guard in that he listened to my tone of voice, so when in exasperation with these guys I said "Why don't I ask the dog?" then "Rusty, what sort of a mood are you in today?" , he immediately started growling. Those men couldn't leave quick enough. I had trained/encouraged that particular dog to allow his feelings to show , on cue like that ,so knew what he'd do. LOL. Pity they didn't try him out, this was a dog that when he worked cattle would actually go in too hard and draw blood. My current red dog has been just as reliable, and I'm sure Bayley would respond the minute she thought you were being threatened in any way. It's a relief to have such dogs at your side, especially if their aggression is controllable.
Attached Images

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I must say I'm really glad to have her especially in those kinds of situations. She's already figured out that her new house is hers. I suppose when you pee somewhere more than once it's yours Today when we got there to drop off another load, she had to go so she trotted right to the back door so I could let her out.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Senior Contributor

She's a smart girl by the sound of things. Did LOL@your comment about if you pee somewhere more than once it's yours. Ummm, I'm not sure that's true, wish it was.

Looking back at that incident with those blokes and Rusty, when he growled on cue I should have asked them how fast they think they could get to the gate, and reached for the dog's collar. (I know, I'm BAD.) But I really didn't trust them.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Patty that does sound a bit nerve wracking! I'm glad u and your mom and Bailey got there safe and sound. When are u going to be all moved in to the new place?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

We're here now!! Saturday!!