Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM

Well's Syndrome in dog

Has anyone had any experience with Well's Syndrome in a dog? Mine was diagnosed with this after an insect bite (she had a biopsy). The normal course of action is Prednisone and antibiotics but I wonder if there's anything gentler than could work? The initial skin issue is healing (it was horrible) and she is improving but we are told that we need to kill the bacteria on her skin and stop the inflammatory response in her body with the Prednisone. I hate giving her all this... I am well aware of the dangers. To top it off she might have a heart issue so the Prednisone is dangerous (she might need an ultrasound first!!!).
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm not sure you'll be able to find anything gentler that can ratchet the immune system down enough, BabyJessy. I wonder if a lower dose of Pred could be used--but that might just prolong the time she's on it.

Have you gotten any more info on the possible heart problem?

I hope she's better soon! This has been going on way too long!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Nice to see you here! I have sent questions about the heart issue + Prednisone to the derma vet (and holistic vet) but so far no response. I just read an article that discusses how a heart problem can arise as a result of this (hmmmmm!). I have been trying to find info on natural remedies but as you say, I think in this case there aren't any. At least I've kept her really healthy and this will help her with the meds.

And I seriously doubt that anyone can help with advice/suggestions here because only 80 humans are diagnosed with this a year. It's very rare. We had to be special!!!!!
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This is definitely one of those times when being 'special' isn't a good thing. It's always difficult to ride the cutting edge...

I'm still hoping that the heart 'problem' turns out to be nothing--at least it would be one less thing to worry about!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."