Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:51 PM

UPDATE: Roxy has been on the Acana Wild Prairie for 3 full months now. I was hoping she would tolerate the diet over time, but nothing is improving. She continues to have anal gland troubles. She scoots a few times a day, and often smells like gland "juice". :barf: Roxy also still has irritation between her toes and has some hair loss on her feet and belly. Her rash/irritation sometimes spreads under her armpits and near her vulva which I will spray with apple cider vinegar (diluted 50/50 with water) once which will make the rash retreat. The spray doesn't remedy the irritation between her toes.

At Easter I bought 3 turkeys on sale for $0.99/lb. I took them to the butcher and had them ground bone-in (minus the drumsticks which were too big to put through the grinder) for another $0.99\lb. So I have 40 lbs of ground turkey for about $80. I measured this out to 6 ounce portions and froze them. I bought a bag of green lentils for $0.59\lb, and a bag of frozen peas & carrots for $1.25/lb.

Last Tuesday (today is 10th day since) Roxy got her first meal with some green lentils and peas & carrots. Over the week I worked up to about 50/50 mix kibble and new stuff by volume. Lastnight Roxy got her first meal of raw, ground turkey lastnight...about 1 ounce. The plan is to get to 50% turkey, 40% lentils, 10% peas & carrots. Since Roxy doesn't seem to tolerate fish (still questioning this), she is also getting flax-based Platinum Performance Canine.

For those unfamiliar, here is some information about Platinum Performance Canine...

Components:
Omega-3 and -6 Fatty Acids
Glucosamine
Trace Minerals
Antioxidants
Amino Acids
Mucilage
Vitamins

Ingredients: Flax Seed, Flax Oil, Rice Bran, Lactose-Free Whey Protein Concentrate, Sunflower Seed, Non-GMO Soy Flour, Cane Molasses, Performance Minerals™, Bio-SpongeŽ, Vitamin E (dl-Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate), Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Glucosamine Sulfate, Natural Vitamin E (d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate), Chromium Yeast, Selenium Yeast, Pine Bark Extract, Uncaria Tomentosa, Aloe Vera, Algal Omega-3 Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, L-Carnitine Tartrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Choline Bitartrate, Niancinaminde (B3), Vitamin K1, Calcium Pantothenate (B5), Riboflavin (B2), Cyanocobalamin (B12), Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Vitamin D3, Folic Acid, Biotin.

There is also product analysis: http://www.platinumperformance.com/P...ctinfo/CPLAG1/
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie