Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM

My Brittany Spaniel

I have a 16-week old brittany who has a few issues! She has a bad habit of submissive peeing as well as a penchant for aggressive play.

It usually happens when she's excited to see us, such as arriving home from an outing (which she is in her crate for approximately than 4-hours). Her bladder can hold it for 5-1/2 hours at night. I've tried going in the house and ignoring her for a while then casually acknowleging her, but this doesn't work.

The only thing that sort-of-works is opening up her crate yell 'ready-set-go' and race her to the back door so she doesn't have time to pee in the house! This is obviously not ideal! Any ideas how to deal with this?

In terms of aggressive play, she nips and bites as well as growl when playing at times. Sometimes when we let her out in the yard she runs in circles growling and won't listen to anyone. We discourage aggressive play with her but she doesn't seem to get the idea. She's even drawn blood on my sister-in-law.
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wondering - what makes you think your dog's peeing is submissive urination? From your description, I see nothing submissive about it.

After being crated for 4 hours, a 16 week old puppy is probably at her limit and just cannot hold it anymore. The excitement of seeing you come home probably makes her lose control at that moment.

Quote:
The only thing that sort-of-works is opening up her crate yell 'ready-set-go' and race her to the back door so she doesn't have time to pee in the house!
That could be the best way of dealing with this until she gets older and has more control. I would stop the yelling though and NOT make a big deal of it, and just calmly scoop her up, rush her out and praise for going outside.

About the rough play, this too is normal and others here can advise you on that.
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:07 PM
-

How much exercise does she get in a day? I have had many, many Brittanys through classes and every one of them has been a ball of energy. It is also very common for young puppies to pee when they are excited, most will grow out of it. Is your puppy enrolled in puppy class.

Last edited by StaceyB; October 5th, 2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM

Brittanies are certainly incredibly needy as far as exercise and challenges go. They are pure hunting dogs. Imagine a doggy build for hunting every day and then put him in a house all day doing nothing. I'd be so excited and wound up that I'd release too!
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
How much exercise does she get in a day? I have had many, many Brittanys through classes and every one of them has been a ball of energy. It is also very common for young puppies to pee when they are excited, most will grow out of it. Is your puppy enrolled in puppy class.
Thanks for your comments. Thanks everyone for that matter.

It's hard to say how much excercise she gets in a day. Does playing in the back-yard count? How about playing in the living room? We walk her for at least an hour every evening. Sometimes we walk her early in the morning as well.

In terms of puppy class, we haven't looked into that yet but we intend on doing it in the not so distant future. I wish that someone would create a structured 'home work-book' that one could follow a course in their own time. I've seen "training manuals," but nothing that is structured in terms of a set of lesson plans. Most training books are a set of tips rather than how-to's anyway.

Are places like Petsmart OK for these courses? How much does a course cost?