Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:03 AM

Skinny Stray and I'm Broke.

Hi everyone,
A few days ago a stray cat walked up to me outside of a store and meowed incessantly. Within a few minutes people were gathered around asking me if I was going to take her home, I said "I can't, I've already got 4 cats and 2 dogs and I can barely afford them!" But, no one else was willing so of course she's with me now. I've posted her picture on websites, put up signs and gotten no response. I've checked every local "lost cat" ad I can find and I don't think anyone's looking for her. I volunteered at a humane society for a year, so I know that, more than likely, she would be euthanized if I took her there. Once I get her back to health, I'll try to find her a home.

Here's the Situation: She's an adolescent, frighteningly skinny ( I can feel every vertebrae), no fleas (strange huh?), box trained, friendly and seems to have no interest in going outside. So I'm assuming that she had a home once but was on the streets long enough to lose a lot of weight (and has sleeping under cars judging by the grease smell that I washed off of her).

Here's the Problem: What if she has worms? Her belly is not distended. I know that most kittens are born with them and kittens are usually dewormed early on so she may have been too. I don't have the money to take her to the vet. I'm feeding her kitten formula, cat sip milk, chicken, tuna (in water) and canned food that says it's 95% beef and beef liver. I've peered at her rear end long and hard, looks totally healthy, I'll try the masking tape in the dark trick tonight and see what I get.

Here are my questions: Should I assume that she has worms? Would worms interfere significantly with recovery from starvation? Are there any over the counter dewormers that will actually work ( for say; round and/or tapeworms)? If so, should I wait until she reaches a healthy weight before giving her any medication?

I'll try to post a pic of her on my profile, I'm a newbie here.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reading.

-Tuesday S.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:36 AM
-

Thank you for taking in this poor kitty.

I would not use any over the counter worming medications. Will your vet sell you some wormer if you explain that you do not have the funds to bring her in?

Of course, it would be best if she could be checked by the vet.....do you know someone that can lend you the money? Also, a lot of vets are now offering Care Credit....

http://www.carecredit.com/practices/veterinary/

Good luck and welcome to pets.ca ....looking forward to seeing pics of her and the rest of your furkids.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't worry for the moment if she doesn't have a belly and you don't see anything suspicious. I'm going to get clobbered for this, but you don't have to roll out the premium food either, if money is tight. If you have access to Costco, their store brand for cats is perfectly acceptable, a huge sack for 13-14$.
Does she have a spay scar? That would be my first worry.
Are there no rescues in your area? You can find a list at www.petfinder.com, under 'animal shelters'. At the very least, they could direct you to some cheaper vets because sooner or later, she'll need at least a once-over.
Poor girl. I'm always amazed how long they can hang on with hardly any food.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If you can give the kitten some of your dinner meat, raw or partially cooked (no spices/flavourings on it though) for at least one meal a day, you will find the kitten will develop the lost muscle mass very quickly.

Like badger stated, don't worry about worms right yet unless the tummy is extended, check the kitten's stools for signs of worms. Don't waste your money on over the counter ones, they don't usually work anyway.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsarama View Post
I'm feeding her kitten formula, cat sip milk, chicken, tuna (in water) and canned food that says it's 95% beef and beef liver.
What brand is the 95% beef canned food? There are a few excellent ones, and some that aren't completely balanced, so I just want to be sure. If you need to save money, I would ditch the tuna. It's probably the least nutritious of all that you're feeding and too much tuna can actually cause more problems: Fish - Not Such a Great Diet

Otherwise, I agree that the worm issue can wait, if it's even an issue at all. Good for you for being so caring and taking this little sweetie in.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Catsarama,just want to thank you for taking this poor little girl in,at this point,I would feed her just about anything she'll eat to put on some weight.
Welcome to our Forum
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank u so much for taking this little one in. That is so wonderful of you especially as your fiances are so tight! You probably saved her life.

Welcome to the forum and I hope your new little one will start gaining weight. *S*
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everybody. She's starting to gain weight and is much more active.
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
-

That's great news ....now we would love to see a pic of her as well as your other cats and dogs if you have some to share.