Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Angry Nails too short. Bleeding?

I took Bubba to a new groomer today. She cut 3 of his nails too short and they are bleeding all over the place. She put a yellow powder on them a few times but he was bleeding through it......He was really fliching and crying when she would do it too, which is odd for him as not much bothers him. He is still bleeding, not pouring out, but what else can I do for him??
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I use a septic pencil, it works great.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I bought this glue like substance from my Vet. I beleive its called "clotasol" but, don't quote me on that. Basically, its like kids white school glue, and you just put some on the nail and it will help it clot and stop the bleeding.
Just give your vet a quick call and see if he can recommend anything from around the house. Animals can lose a lot of blood from their little toes.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:59 PM

I'm sorry about bubba. we do our dogs nails, i feel just terrible when i get one too short (but unlike your bubba, our one dog fights with us which makes it hard so accidents happen). we have this liquid that we put on the nail and it stops the bleeding, but i think it's the same as the yellow powder only liquid. i'm at work now but when i get home i can get you the name of it. it might help, and it also seems to help with the pain as well. I'm sorry about bubba. I usually don't do the dogs nails because my stepdad was a dog and cat groomer, but when i do i always seem to get one too short, especailly on bj since he struggles, that's why i try not to do them unless i have to. hope bubba feels better, i know it hurts when i cut one of my nails too short.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Ive just used plain old flour in a plastic cup...and it worked, if it bled a bit more, I just dipped their paw in the cup again...
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Ive heard cornstarch is good too.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I have never clipped dogs nails before but was thinking of getting dog clippers. The reason I haven't yet is because I am afraid of cutting to short. How can you tell the right length to cut the nails?
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Yup, cornstarch works. Cornstarch in a bowl with some Q-tips handy. Dip the Q-tip the cornstarch, then hold it against the quick. Repeat as necessary. The combination of the cornstarch and the pressure from the Q-tip stops the bleeding pretty quickly.

Katherine1, does your pup have white or black nails? White nails are the easiest, because you can clearly see the pink "quick" that you're to avoid. With Phoebe's black nails, I have her lie on her back so I can see the underside of the nail (she has very hairy toes, so this sometimes takes a while to find ). Then I cut off the "empty" part of the nail. We've been doing this since she was a wee pup, and once we're done she gets lots of belly rubs for being a good girl, so she doesn't object at all!
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Katherine1, does your pup have white or black nails? White nails are the easiest, because you can clearly see the pink "quick" that you're to avoid. With Phoebe's black nails, I have her lie on her back so I can see the underside of the nail (she has very hairy toes, so this sometimes takes a while to find ). Then I cut off the "empty" part of the nail. We've been doing this since she was a wee pup, and once we're done she gets lots of belly rubs for being a good girl, so she doesn't object at all!
She has black nails and some of them look like they have broken off or wore off shorter than the rest but the longer ones look like they are getting really long and dangerous for us when playing with her cause they tend to be very sharp when she swatts a paw at us.