Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old November 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Wanting to check in and wish Raggs birthday wishes (belated) Happy 14th sweet guy! Sorry it is late--I was out of town for the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. Been thinking of you both and sending good wishes.

It is a good sign he is eating, smiling and enjoying his kitty friends. You and Raggs are the best judge of his quality of life.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:46 PM

Thanks scottiedog. He had a great birthday with extra treats and more beef liver and sardines than I usually give him cuz he loves them. I have a pic taken on Nov 27, his birthday and will post it here. He seems to be doing well to me, he's certainly still very involved with the animal family and loves his time with me.

I spoke to the vet tech the other day on the phone and we discussed how he acts at home. I was telling her all the things he does that show me he is definitely not ready for that day ...yet. She agreed with me and told me she'd pass all I said along to my vet. She also said that I am the best judge of how he is as I see him under normal circumstances at home and they only see him while he's in the office usually wanting to leave immediately. She thinks my vet thinks I will have trouble seeing when that time has come, I know I won't, I never have before with previous animals. When they tell you it's time, it is usually very obvious IMHO.

Thanks for the support for both of us scottiedog.. here is the pic I took of all of us on his birthday. If you look carefully you will see Bailey behind my head and Tiger on the other arm of the same chair in front of my head. Smokey is standing on the other chair and Sam is on the floor in front of the table. Of course Raggs is front and center as always
Attached Images

Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

You have a house full!!

I missed his birthday, so wonderful that he was able to celebrate it! Continued ear scritches to Raggs!

I do want to say, that I don't think anyone can say at this point whether it's benign or not. The important thing, is that you guys have done such a great job, whatever that "thing" is!!
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks Maxalisa I appreciate the good thoughts. I don't believe anyone outside my home can judge how he is inside. He has such an incredible relationship with each of the kitties, different for each one. They don't see this of course when he's at the vet. They also don't see him waiting by the door for my gf to arrive every Monday and Friday because he loves her. He knows when my alarm goes off she is coming and probably has the days memorized too. What they see are his very weak hind end and him wanting to leave before he even gets into the examining room. However, they do admit this as well.

One of the reasons I think my vet is worried is she sees the tumour increasing in size and is worried it will end up like Pepper's giant lipoma...huge and needing emergency surgery which she is not prepared to do with Raggs. I reminded her that his tumour started shortly after I adopted him and has now been growing for almost 2 years which is a lot longer than Pepper's took to get to that size. Raggs is also 2 years older than Pepper was when she had her surgery, and I wouldn't subject him to that. If it became the main issue I would have to make that final decision as I wouldn't put him through the surgery at his age. I doubt he would make it through the surgery and I wouldn't even try.

Right now Raggs is relatively healthy other than the tumour, happy and interacting with everyone. He is very weak in the back end but that varies from day to day and he does have days without a problem. He has the heart strings of everyone who comes in the house with his friendly happy smile. I don't plan to make that final decision until he tells me it is time. I knew with all my other dogs when it was time and I expect to with him.

Thanks again for your good wishes for us. Yes I do have a house full of animals, but they are all happy and relatively healthy. To you and your furrbies as well
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DBG10 I just wanted to say how happy I am to read your updates! They always make me smile. Especially his kitty friend stores!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

dbg,so you have 4 kitties,wish I did,you know looking at Raggs brings me to tears,he seems to be such a wonderful pup,even though he's ill,love seeing him.
I am not always on here anymore,I always tend to get stuck on FaceBook,but I always check in on the people and animals I care about.
Old December 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks Winston and Chico2 we appreciate you still following our story and sending good wishes for him.

Last night I noticed his gums were a little paler than they have been, so I expect he's had another small bleed and that's why his hind end has been weaker in the last week or so. I'm not surprised after the vet visit 2 weeks ago and his fall on the stairs, but his breathing is normal, he's socializing as he always does and doesn't seem as wiped out as he has in the past. I'm hoping the bleed is a small one and has finished. He's trying to go outside at least once or twice a day and has been strong enough to do it without falling as long as I stand at the top and say "slowly" and my son keeps his mouth shut on the landing, which he has beens since I told him he was too anxious and had to wait for Raggs to organize his back feet before going down the stairs. It definitely worked this morning, as we waited patiently for him to get his back legs under him and he was able to walk down the stairs. (His back legs tend to slide out on him).

Anyway all is well right now, and when he came back in, he had to spend some time with me before going back to bed. He jumped at Smokey last night chasing him out of my room, so he's developing some strength again in his hind legs. It is so funny to watch the two of them interact, wish I could get a pic. I've been trying to keep the camera with me, but as soon as I reach for it, they move.

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes, I hope all your furbies are doing well too
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

dbg,it's always nice to read Raggs is still managing to shooo a cat away
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Such a nice family portrait!

You are right. Only the members of the family can judge Raggs' quality of life. Everyone else is outsiders with opinions (and we all know that opinions are just like we all have one). I think we all know that you love Raggs and will make the best choices for him. So many of us have been in situations making choices for elderly pets in failing health. All we want is to make the best choices. We know, and most importantly, I'm sure that in some way Raggs knows, you are making the choices for him in his best interest and out of love. No one, man nor beast, could ask for more.
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM

I can't believe it's been over a month since I posted here. We made the turn into the New Year and Raggs is doing fairly well but is showing signs of aging as he should.

He's still very much involved with the kitties, and has now decided Tiger is his latest one to argue with. Every night he won't allow Tiger to come into my room or get on the bed, until he has given him the talk. He chats away to him and Tiger just sits and stares and finally will run by when Raggs turns his attention to me. I find this switch from Smokey to be hilarious. Smokey and he still have an on again, off again love affair, sometimes Raggs allows Smokey to kiss him and rub his face all over his muzzle and other times he wants none of it and barks at him and often jumps toward him. I'm not sure what Tiger did to get Raggs's attention, but whatever it was, Raggs obviously wants to talk about it. My first dog used to talk all the time and it is shades of her, when I hear him sounding like he's having a conversation with Tiger.

I think his place in my animal family is what is keeping him going. It's something my vet doesn't see when he's there and it's the highlight of his day. He's still eating well and loves treat time. For awhile I've been spending my evenings reading instead of watching TV. I've tried recently to refocus him on the TV but it's not easy to get him to move into the TV room. I think I've spent too long reading and he's now so used to it, I can't get him interested in the TV again. That's my project for the next week, to get him to lie and watch TV with me. He has a habit now of just lying in his bed which is beside the chair where I read, so I think I'll have to move his bed in front of the TV because he may be more comfortable there.

The tumour is a bit larger and there seems to be a mass over his rib cage now but it isn't bothering him, so I'm not going to do anything about it.

I had a great picture of him at Christmas time which I'll post here, it's small but is a good one.

I hope all of you are well and your furrbies doing well too. Sorry it took me so long to post but I thought I had after his anniversary passed on Dec 20th, but guess I didn't.

I also wish you all a Happy New Year for 2012!
Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's Santa Raggs! Cute pic, dbg! Glad to hear he's doing so well! I was starting to worry cuz it had been so long since your last update!

Is Smokey feeling slighted now that Raggs is talking more to Tiger?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DBG10 you made me smile from ear to ear! thank you for keeping us updated. You sweeet boy has stolen all of out hearts you know!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It's Santa Raggs! Cute pic, dbg! Glad to hear he's doing so well! I was starting to worry cuz it had been so long since your last update!

Is Smokey feeling slighted now that Raggs is talking more to Tiger?
Smokey is usually asleep when all this activity between Raggs and Tiger takes place LOL. Maybe Raggs is missing his interaction with Smokey when he takes on Tiger...never know with them Last night Smokey and Raggs were lying in the hall and Smokey kept lying across Raggs's muzzle so he couldn't breathe. They lay like this for about half an hour and all Raggs did was move his head so he could breathe. He put up with Smokey rolling all over him.

Of course I never have the camera handy when this happens and right now my desktop computer is out of commission and it's the only one I can use for the memory card in the camera. My laptop doesn't have a port for it. So any pics I take can't be uploaded to the forum now. At least it was working still before Christmas when I took the pic of him in his Santa hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
DBG10 you made me smile from ear to ear! thank you for keeping us updated. You sweeet boy has stolen all of out hearts you know!
Thanks Winston, I'm always surprised that people are still interested in this thread, but he has always had such a beautific smile, none of my other dogs were that expressive with their smiles. I even had a T-shirt made with a picture of him on it just to preserve his smile.

Raggs is holding his own and I firmly believe it is his relationship with the cats that keeps him going. He always had his sister around when he was with his previous owner, but as far as I know he didn't have much exposure to cats. I also think he was expected to behave at all times as his previous owner was a priest and I think he used to take them to parishioners homes and to other church functions. I have figured that out just from watching his behaviour. He is the first dog I've ever had that doesn't bark when someone comes to the door and has to be encouraged to bark to tell you he needs to go out. He rarely barks at all which I find very strange for a dog.

I will try to post more often about him, I couldn't believe it had been so long since I had posted especially when we passed a year from his diagnosis.

Thanks everyone for sending us good wishes, I know that is part of the reason he's still with me too.
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

It is so wonderful that Raggs is still with you and is doing as well as can be expected. Sounds like he gets along with the house kitties pretty good too. Thanks for continuing to update us on how he is doing. I am sending gentle hugs and kisses for his continuing health. patti
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear all is going well. Raggs looks so cute in his Christmas hat. I'm sure his health has to do with his position in the pack, who's gonna keep those cats in line if he let's go? Thanks for the update on the ever sweet Raggs. All the best to you all!
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

What a great pic of Raggs,like Winston said he is a"make everyone smile"kind of dog
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking that things were going well, didn't want to jinx anything

I am so happy to hear your update. He is fighting hard to stay with you (hugs)
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM

He is fighting hard MaxaLisa and I am so happy he is. Thanks everyone for your good wishes, I take one day at a time now with him but he really seems to be hanging in there with his friends, the cats. The only one he doesn't really get along with is Sam, but Sam can be a very miserable cat at times and I believe this is why. I am going to spend some extra time with him tonight, he needs the fur on the bottom of his feet cut and we usually have a war over that.

All the best to all of you from my fuzzbutts to yours...
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's to one day at a time. Cherish those days
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Raggs developed severe diarrhea the day before yesterday and at this point I have no idea what caused it. He did not have anything new or different but I did give him an extra dentastix before it started. He usually gets one every other day but I hadn`t had any for a week or so, so I gave him 2. This might have caused it, but he doesn`t look good right now. He is sleeping all the time.

I made a solution of ice cold water, chix broth and corn syrup and gave it to him by syringe because he isn`t drinking much. I had an appt with the vet but for some reason I woke up this morning with my back in knots and there is no way I can drive, so had to cancel the appt.

I`m not sure what is going on with him, but I`m really hoping this is just a relapse and he recovers, and one thing points toward that, it started very suddenly. If the tumour had obstructed him, I would expect it to happen slowly over time until he developed liquid diarrhea, but I may be wrong.

Just wanted to post about him , I`m really hoping he`s ok
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww dbg,I opened this post with a heavy heart,I am not on here very often but you and Raggs are always in my thoughts..
You have both been fighting this disease with all you got and I can only hope this is another glitch and he'll get better.
It is so very difficult,but I know when the time comes you will do what's right for sweet Raggs,because of your undying love for him.
I think we all love him,I know I do and I have not even met Raggs or you..
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks Chico I really appreciate your support at this time, I just took him some more of the mixture I made and he spit it out. I took a handful of his scruff and it returned to normal immediately so he must be drinking even though the water in the bowl doesn`t seem to be going down...no idea what that is about. I took away the bowl of rice in broth with a very small amount of washed ground beef I had put in front of him earlier that he hadn`t touched and then changed his water to fresh ice water. He drank a bit and I`ve decided that he`s not going to get any food at all for at least 24 hours and hopefully he`ll keep drinking.

The only drawback that I can see with the water only is that it has no sodium or potassium in it to help replace the body electrolytes that he`ll need after his diarrhea. Since he spit out the mixture I doubt he`ll drink it if I add it to his water.

He does respond more this afternoon than he was this morning so I am less pessimistic now.

I just spoke to the most experienced vet tech at the office and yesterday I didn't give him his metacam, but she told me I must give it to him or he's going to be in a lot more pain. I didn't give it to him yesterday because I thought that it might be causing the diarrhea and it also is not supposed to be given on an empty stomach, so I'm not sure what to do now.

Last edited by dbg10; January 26th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM

As I couldn't get Raggs to the vet, I called in a mobile vet who I'd never used before. He came this afternoon and gave Raggs some fluid, antibiotics, a pain killer, and an injection for his vomiting and diarrhea. He left me with antibiotics and a liquid for his diarrhea and a liter of fluid to give him over the next 24 hours. He also told me to buy some pedialyte to give him over the next few days after the inectable solution is gone.

Raggs wasn't looking too bad when he was here, and he told me to give him the meds and fast him for 24 hours then give him a small amount of mashed potato to start food back and see if the treatment so far had worked. He told me to call him over the weekend if Raggs wasn't better. He also told me not to give him his metacam because it would be too hard on an empty stomach. I told him that was the reason I had stopped it in the first place.

I was impressed with this vet and also the cost of the visit, which was very reasonable in my opinion at $400. I will have to take him to my vet next week if he's better to get some metacam.

I am much more optimistic after this vet was here and hope Raggs will finally start to get better.
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad that a vet saw Raggs and could help, and that this might be just another stumble, and I'm hoping nothing more serious.

What a journey Raggs has been on and taken you with, he's such a little trooper.

I have given my dogs apple juice (with no added sugar or high fruxtose corn syrup, as close to organic as you can get), when they have needed fluids. Don't know if that would help over there.

Will be hoping that the little guy turns around soon. ((Higs))
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

dbg,that sounds good,maybe we can be cautiously optimistic
I am glad you got a vet to come to the house and like you,I think $400 was not too bad.
I guess it's a wait and see situation,I just hope Raggs is comfortable and not in pain. I wish I had met him and you,you are both amazing
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM

I was just checking in to see how you and Raggs are doing. You both are in my thoughts each day. I hope this is just a "bump in the road" for Raggs and that things settle back to normal for you. It sounds like the mobile vet was on top of things. You are doing such a wonderful job with this sweet boy and I know he loves you so much. Please take care of yourself. I know from when my sweet girl was so sick, being the care-giver can be exhausting both physically and emotionally. Sending .
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Not much improvement but thanks for the good wishes. Right now he has made his way to the door and wants out. I keep telling him he`s not going out because he has to use the stairs and he is very wobbly on his feet. He refuses to accept the fact that he`s not going to be let out.

I talked to the mobile vet again and since Raggs wouldn`t eat the potato he told me to give him a tbsp of cooked ground beef and the same amount of liver. So far he hasn`t eaten it and he seems like he wants to poop but hasn`t done that yet either.

I`m just taking it hour to hour and day to day and will see how he is tomorrrow.

Thanks everyone, not sure where we are going with this, but he is acting more like himself today so we`ll just have to wait and see how he is later today and tomorrow.
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like Raggs is having a bit of a rough go of it Hopefully he's on the mend now and you'll see more improvement each day. Raggs, you're worrying your mom--eat, big boy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Hoping for another rally for Raggs

My thoughts are with you two, and the rest of your pack. One step at a time
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your good wishes, thoughts and prayers for him, he's still gagging occasionally, would not eat the 1 tbsp of beef or 1 tbsp liver this morning and is still having diarrhea, though it is partially formed and a normal brown colour instead of the light brown liquid of 2 days ago.

I just offered him fresh water with pedialyte 50:50 and since he saw me putting the pedialyte in it, he won't drink. I'm hoping he gets thirsty enough to take a drink. He seems suspicious of everything I put down for him (food etc) since he started barfing up his food. Not sure if it smells odd to him or what, but he doesn't seem to want to touch it.

I'm going to wait a few hours and see what happens before doing anything. The mobile vet told me yesterday he would have to be hospitalized today if no better. He definitely is more alert today than he was and is doing normal things like blocking the cats from getting into the kitchen to their food and barking at them if they attempt to jump him, calling my son from downstairs by barking for him, and moving around the house. He slept in the living room last night where he rarely sleeps.

Just keeping my fingers crossed still and can't figure out what is causing this continued illness other than the tumour has invaded areas that won't respond to any treatment.