Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Question Getting my dog within this week

Hello all. New here, already introduced myself. I've been searching for a good breed of dog to have with my two kids and my cat. I found a pure breed puppy Jack Russel. She is only 9 months old.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems with children and the type of breed. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old January 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM
cat slave

oh boy! how old's the cat? I think that an older cat will hate any type of hyper small animal that you bring in the house hehe
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Lol. My cat will be 6 years February 21. He's ok with dogs, but not other cats. Lol. He likes his territory kitty free.
My mom asked me to watch her **** zu for a week at my house, and my cat and her dog got along beginning the 3rd day.
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM

I wouldn't be worried about your Jack Russell interacting with your kids, however I would be more worried about it interacting with your cat! Make sure to not leave them alone until you know for sure it is safe for the two of them to be together. JRT can be little terrors when it comes to chasing little animals.
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Lol. Ok, I will make sure my cat is in a shut room if I go out.
But they are good with kids?
Because I really likes this dog.
Also, is it ok to change a dogs name at 9 months?
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:03 AM

You can't really know how the dog is with kids unless it's in a fosterhome with kids. Not all jacks are great with kids, but then again, not all of any breed are great with kids.

Jacks can be nippy with kids (they nip partly because of dominance- they want to keep the kid in line...). You'd really have to meet the jack first and decide.
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Smile

Thanks, I'm getting the dog from a guy who bought it for his gf and then she left hime and the puppy. He just wants someone to be with the dog more than he can.
I will see how it goes. My oldest is great with all dogs, she is 4 years old. As to my youngest, we'll see. She is only 6 months and so far, I'm teaching her to be gentle with my moms dog.
So I will keep my fingers crossed.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM

We have a bunch of friends that have JRT's (all from different breeders and cities), and while some have little fixable problems that any dog could have, the only really negative thing any of them say is that they are so hyper. One of our friends has a puppy that they have to take to work with them every day because if left alone he destroys things. They have an older Corgi to keep him company but that doesn't help. Most of them have small children and the dogs are great with them. One of them has what I call "little dog syndrome" where he thinks any dog larger than him is a target to initiate a fight with!! They are hoping to socialize him more through obediance school when a new course starts. As for cats I'm not sure if any have cats but I suspect some do as they live on acreages.
As for changing his name at 9 months I can't see why it would be a problem. Look at all the older dogs that end up at shelters or pounds with no names. They eventually catch onto a new name. Congrulations and good luck. Do you already have the dog? If not when do you get her?
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by destine1983 View Post
My oldest is great with all dogs, she is 4 years old. As to my youngest, we'll see. She is only 6 months and so far, I'm teaching her to be gentle with my moms dog.
So I will keep my fingers crossed.
personally, I wouldn't get a JRT with kids that young. But good luck and hope you post pictures soon
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM

No, unfortunately, I do not have the puppy yet. I am currently on vacation in New Brunswick and won't be home until tomorrow night. So by this Saturday I will have him. The man I am adopting him from sent me a picture of her.
Her original name is Susie.

But I cannot seem to add a picture. It asks for a URL, but I do not know how to go about this.
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

at nine months you can change the name. it will take a couple of months for her to truly understand it and even longer for her to no longer respond to susie (we got logan at 8 months and his orignal name was dreamer, it took him about 1.5 months to truly understand it was his name)
as far as the kids, little dogs and little kids can occasionally have problems, but make sure you start training her that ALL HUMANS are above her in dominance, and it should alliviate some problems that may occur, alot of child dog problems stems from dogs thinking they are above them in the pack. if you need tips on training your dog the pack order people here will be able to help you.
yes jack russels are hyper, just because they're small doesnt men there not going to need a ton of exercise
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM

I think Susie is a fine name, why change it? LOL
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Well the guy who was going to adopt out Susie has not returned any of my messages. So it's back to the drawing board.
I am having a hard time posting a message in the Adopt a dog section, does anyone know why?
Thanks