Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sophie & Gretchen's Mom

How to figure quantities of raw to feed?

Hi there! I'm new to the raw diet, and have been lurking for awhile on the forum! Love all the great info!!!

I do have a question that I've have trouble answering - How to figure out how much to feed? I have 2 small dogs, one is 10lbs. and the other is 15lbs. I kind of want to do the "10 to 15% bones, -60% meat, -10% organs
-the rest is "other stuff" ie fish, eggs, grains & dairy if you choose to feed that, table scraps, etc" way that y'all have suggested, and I'm having trouble figuring the 1.5-2% body weight thing (never was too good at math )

Any help would be very much appreciated! I can't wait to start the girls on the raw diet!
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

2% of 10lbs (0.02 x 10)=0.2lbs/day
2% of 15lbs (0.02 x 15)=0.3lbs/day

As for the proportions of bone:meatrgans, it doesn't have to be exact, those proportions are guidelines which try to simulate the proportions present in a whole animal.

In my experience, the best way to do it is to try and get as close to the appropriate proportions as possible, and keep an eye on the dog's stool, it can tell you a lot about whether or not you're getting enough/too much bone and/or organs. It's also good to remember that you don't need to get the perfect balance in each meal or each day, if you're giving your dog everything it needs over time.
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Yep PitGirl is right. Keep an eye on the dog and the stools. We have 3 on raw and they all react differently to it. All 3 of them are fed entirely different amounts because of their metabolism. They also get slightly different foods
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I would have a tendency to start them at 3% instead of 2% as small breeds tend to have a higher metabolism than larger dogs. Just a thought....
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Sophie & Gretchen's Mom

Thanks for the info! I think I may do the 2% that was figured for me - thanks a bunch - now I know how to figure it! I will see in a couple of weeks how it's going. I have 2 min pins, both are 6 y/o and have the definite start of dental disease. Sophie, the smaller of the 2, has some digestive issues (at least she did on kibble) where she would throw up several times a week - now, they are both on Grandma Lucy's freeze dried raw, and doing great. Gretchen is a bit overweight and itchy - hopefully a completely raw diet will solve the above mentioned troubles

Also, I had a question about game meat/bones.....a friend of mine (who is a hunter) said that chronic wasting disease in deer would be something to worry about with raw - is there any truth to that or just fear of the unknown?

Thanks again! This site is so helpful! Y'all are angels