Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old March 19th, 2010, 02:09 AM

Is liver problem back???

I have a 13 year old cat Taz, who has me concerned.

Brief history...Happy, healthy cat until 2 years ago when he went from 15 lbs to 8 rather quickly. Vet ran lots of tests and determined it was some type of liver disease (can't remember exactly what she called it) He had jaundice, refused to eat, drink etc... vet said 30% chance he'd make it. We force fed him low protein food from vet for approx 3 months before he got better. Has been fine since, until recently.

The past couple of days I have noticed that he has not been drinking much, if anything at all, today I came home, fed him as usual, he ate maybe half and then promptly vomited what he had eaten. He seems to meow a lot also. He is a healthy weight and does not seem to be in any pain.

Does this sound like an issue with the liver again? I am calling the vet in the morning, just thought I'd ask here since I'm worried and can't sleep.

Thanks and any info is appreciated.
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Glad to hear you are calling the vet in the morning

It's hard to say if this would be from the liver or something else as many health issues have similar symptoms. It could be the liver as he has had previous concerns, the symptoms also sound a bit like HyperThyroidism & the age is right for that.

As Taz is now a senior kitty be sure to ask for yearly urine tests & blood tests including T4 for thyroid issues, to make sure you are on top of any issues that may crop up.

Welcome to the forum , for the appt, let us know what the vet says

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope Taz's vet visit goes well, mnkyluvr68. Please keep us posted and welcome to the board!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Thank you both so much! It has been a very emotional day and I could use some advice again. I took Taz to the vet first thing this morning and this is what she said...

Blood work normal, X-ray showed a lot gas throughout the bowel through stomach and small intestine and the colon is full of soft stool type appearance material. One of three things, either his gut has just stopped moving, is in full illius(sp?) mode where bacteria is overgrowing, or he swallowed a string or some type of foreign object that has gotten stuck, or he has a tumor that they can't see.

They gave him anti nausea and vomiting meds plus IV fluids but nothing helped and he continued vomiting all day.

These are the options given...they can do exploratory surgery or euthanize him. This is what my son and I decided. We brought him home with IV fluids to be given twice a day and anti vomiting meds every 8 hours throughout the weekend. I'm going to sell some coins and try to come up with the money needed for surgery since it is quite expensive and I spent what I had available for todays visit. Am I wrong for bringing him home? He seems fairly comfortable but I'm torn...

Is it the right thing for him to have the surgery or is that going to make things worse? If we opted not to have the surgery and it was just a string or something, I might be taking away the rest of his life from him. How does someone make that decision? I don't want to have to decide whether he lives or dies, what if I make the wrong choice? I'm very sorry this is so long, I just can't stop crying and am so drained. I really just want to do what's best for him. Thanks for listening to me babble
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, mnkyluvr I've been in your shoes before and I know how hard it is...

If he's fairly comfortable, then I don't think you're wrong to bring him home. It's impossible to know exactly what's right--Life is unfortunately not that cut and dried. So you do the best you can, make the decision with love and with Taz's best interests in mind, and it will be the right thing--whatever you decide.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the hug Hazelrunpack. I needed that. Thanks also for the words of encouragement. Just keeping him comfy tonight and we'll see what tomorrow brings Thanks again
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM

As long as he in comfortable tonight, and not in distress then yes it was a good thing to bring him home, most cats are too stressed at the vets especially staying overnight.

Has he eaten anything since coming home from the vet?

When was the last time he pooped?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I wish I had good advice for you. What a terrible situation. It sounds like it's a good thing you brought him home - I'm sure he'd rather be in his home than at the vet.

Good luck with your decision. It's a hard one but only you can make it for you and Taz.
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Vet ran lots of tests and determined it was some type of liver disease (can't remember exactly what she called it) He had jaundice, refused to eat, drink etc... vet said 30% chance he'd make it.
How did the vet treat his liver (supplements, medications)?

Quote:
We force fed him low protein food from vet for approx 3 months before he got better. Has been fine since, until recently.
How long ago was this and what have you been feeding him since? The reason I ask is many of the vet foods have alot of junk and fillers in them that do not agree with many cats tummies. And your kitties tummy could be very upset and have gas from what you are feeding it. Is your kitty constipated? Or having normal stools?

Quote:
Blood work normal, X-ray showed a lot gas throughout the bowel through stomach and small intestine and the colon is full of soft stool type appearance material.
Has he been passing normal stools? The reason I ask is the vet says the colon is full and this may be an indication that the colon is not working properly. Did the vet say the colon looked enlarged. The throwing up and the colon being full brings to my head feline megacolon or constipation. My cat that was throwing up and having problems passing regular stools had xrays done and there was alot of gas and lots of stool in the colon. Her colon was was enlarged and she was diagnosed with Feline Megacolon. So this may be something that is going on with your kitty And it can be treated easily with motility drugs, stool softner and low fibre diet.

Quote:
One of three things, either his gut has just stopped moving, is in full illius(sp?) mode where bacteria is overgrowing, or he swallowed a string or some type of foreign object that has gotten stuck, or he has a tumor that they can't see. These are the options given...they can do exploratory surgery or euthanize him
I think that the only two options they have given you are crazy and that you should see another vet. To euthanize your kitty for these reasons that are not confirmed are sad at this point. Have they told you to get an ultrasound? This would be my next step before exploratory surgery. If it is a tumor or something stuck in the stomach (string) then the ultrasound may be able to pick it up. Has the vet brought up pancreatitis to you? What about IBD? Has the vet taken tests for hyperthyroidism?

The reason I am asking all of these questions is because my 13 year old male cat just went through liver disease (cholangiohepatitis). He was very sick for 2 and a half months. throwing up constantly, not wanting to eat, etc. Many tests were done, xrays and yes exploratory surgery was suggested. But the vet also suggested an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed severe inflammation in his stomach, liver, gall bladder, bile ducts, colon and intestine. At that time a tumor or an enlarged pancreas did not show up. Although they could not rule out a tumor they were leaning towards that all the problems were caused by IBD. Which is very common with liver cats. But not once did the vets throw out the option to euthanize my cat. At one point when he was so sick and did not seem like he was going to get better I brought it up. The vet said she did not think that was an option at this point.

I may be off on everything I am saying above but I am trying to give you some hope. Are you able to see another vet for a second opinion? Or get an ultrasound by a certified person that does ultrasounds in your city (not just someone that does them without much experience)? The one I went to was very highly recommended by two vets that I was dealing with. Do you have a certified internist in your city? If you could get an appt with one this may be beneficial for your kitty. I was dealing with one that was also a holistic vet. She was great.

By the way the anti-nausea pill will not help if he has a blockage (constipated).

Let me know how you are doing today!
Good luck!
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks to all of you So today Taz woke up seeming to feel better. He was more alert, assuming that was due to all the meds they gave him. My son stopped at some specialty pet store and they gave him some canned food and a supplement to sprinkle on it to possibly help him go to the bathroom.

I put half a can (small) out for him and he ate it, leaving the chunks that were in the food. He has not thrown up since I got him home but has not used the cat box today at all. He is drinking a little bit and I gave him the IV fluids, hard for me to get that needle in him. Wonder if I got more on him than in him. So now I am just monitoring his input and output.

@ Khari...
PHP Code:
How did the vet treat his liver (supplementsmedications)? 
He had meds and we fed him with a syringe the food they recommended and we bought from them.

PHP Code:
How long ago was this and what have you been feeding him sinceThe reason I ask is many of the vet foods have alot of junk and fillers in them that do not agree with many cats tummies. And your kitties tummy could be very upset and have gas from what you are feeding itIs your kitty constipated? Or having normal stools
It was about two years ago and he has been eating Go! natural dry food. He seems to be constipated today, his stool for the past few days had been a light tan color.

[PHP]Has he been passing normal stools? The reason I ask is the vet says the colon is full and this may be an indication that the colon is not working properly. Did the vet say the colon looked enlarged. PHP]

Not passing normal stools. Vet did not say colon looked enlarged, just said it was very full.

PHP Code:
I think that the only two options they have given you are crazy and that you should see another vetTo euthanize your kitty for these reasons that are not confirmed are sad at this pointHave they told you to get an ultrasoundThis would be my next step before exploratory surgery. If it is a tumor or something stuck in the stomach (string) then the ultrasound may be able to pick it upHas the vet brought up pancreatitis to youWhat about IBDHas the vet taken tests for hyperthyroidism
The vet did mention an ultrasound but said due to there being so much gas it would be hard to see a tumor or foreign object. She did say the string, if he swallowed it could be tangled and cutting through his bowel. They told me every time they touched his stomach he writhed in pain and would cry. I have seen nothing like that since bringing him home. He has not vomited, he is eating and getting fluids/ I have picked him up and pressed on his tummy and he did not seem bothered by it. He also started purring again this morning. I'm not sure what to think. My big concern at this point is that he is not having bowel movements. No mention of IBD or pancreatitis, thyroid was normal. Thanks again! I guess all I can do is keep watching him and giving him lots of love. I hear that cats will hide their illness well so my main objective is to make sure he is not in any pain.

Hope you are all having a good weekend. Thanks for being here for me to talk to, it really helps.
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
So today Taz woke up seeming to feel better. He was more alert, assuming that was due to all the meds they gave him.
What meds did they give him? I am glad to hear he feels better but once those meds wear off he may not b/c I am leary that the vet is not treating him for the right problem.

Quote:
My son stopped at some specialty pet store and they gave him some canned food and a supplement to sprinkle on it to possibly help him go to the bathroom.
Did the vet not recommend something for you to use to help your kitty pass a stool? I would think with all the poop filled up in his colon either the vet would want to give an enema or atleast give you something to help get all that poop out of the colon. It is not very good for poop to be sitting in the colon for very long. And some meds can constipate a cat even further. Depending on what meds the vet gave you.

What was the supplement your son picked up at the pet shop?

Quote:
but has not used the cat box today at all.
This concerns me.....when was the last time he passed a normal stool?

Quote:
I gave him the IV fluids, hard for me to get that needle in him.
Not sure what size needles your vet gave you to use to give the sub q fluids but there are needles that are much easier to use I found out when I was giving sub q fluids. They are called Terumo 20Gx1" U.T.W. (ultra thin wall needles). I bought 100 of them at a local medical supply shop for like $5.

Quote:
PHP Code:
How did the vet treat his liver (supplementsmedications)? 
He had meds
What meds?

Quote:
he has been eating Go! natural dry food

Something in this food may be causing the gas?? His stomach may not agree with one or more ingredients in it? Cats have sensitive stomachs.

Quote:
He seems to be constipated today, his stool for the past few days had been a light tan color.
The last couple of days when he did pass a stool was there a fair amount? Were the stools soft or hard. Small (pellet like)?

Quote:
Not passing normal stools. Vet did not say colon looked enlarged, just said it was very full.
Again, I am surprised the vet did not want to give an enema to clear him out or give you something to take home to adminster to help your cat pass these stools quickly.

Quote:
The vet did mention an ultrasound but said due to there being so much gas it would be hard to see a tumor or foreign object. She did say the string, if he swallowed it could be tangled and cutting through his bowel.
My cat had gas before they took the ultrasound. We were also concerned that he had some foreign object in his tummy, But the ultrasound confirmed what we were seeing was not an object but a severely inflammed stomach. So, it may not be lots of gas your vet is seeing in the xray???

Quote:
They told me every time they touched his stomach he writhed in pain and would cry. I have seen nothing like that since bringing him home. He has not vomited, he is eating and getting fluids/ I have picked him up and pressed on his tummy and he did not seem bothered by it. He also started purring again this morning. I'm not sure what to think.
Cats do hide pain well. With that being said your cat is now in his own environment and has been taking meds? which may be helping with the pain (from the said be "string" or gas/poop build up)

I know money is a concern but I would definately be going to get a second opinion. You can get your files and xray sent over to the new vet free of charge. And then the new vet can evaluate the situation with a new set of eyes.
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM

Thank you again Khari When he had the liver problem 2 years agao the vet put him on a very low protein diet and unfortunately I can't remember the name of the medication they had him taking. I am going to call her in the morning to see if they will do the enema. I'd be miserable too if I was that full! Thank you for taking the time to help and give me options and hope! I will also ask again about the ultrasound. I have another vet in mind for the second opinion and will also check with them tomorrow.

HTML Code:
What meds did they give him? I am glad to hear he feels better but once those meds wear off he may not b/c I am leary that the vet is not treating him for the right problem.
They gave him Carafate 10mg to be given 1cc every 8 hours.

HTML Code:
Did the vet not recommend something for you to use to help your kitty pass a stool?
No, she was concerned that if something like a string was somehow blocking or twisting the bowel that pushing the stool out like that may cause a perforation. I have the same concern you mentioned. I know as a humans constipation cn make us very sick too, wondering if he just needs to poop it all out? Wouldn't blood work have shown something abnormal if it were more than constipation. She said bacteria may have taken over the bowel if it is not moving but why would it not show as an infection through the blood work?

HTML Code:
when was the last time he passed a normal stool?The last couple of days when he did pass a stool was there a fair amount? Were the stools soft or hard. Small (pellet like)?
Last time was on Thursday, he did get into the box yest and tried but very very little came out and not even pellet size, maybe 1/2 tsp.

HTML Code:
What was the supplement your son picked up at the pet shop?
My son got him a few cans of Merrick cat food and the supplement is called Enzymes Pro+/ super nutrition complex. It is a fine green powder and smells like fish. It is made by Great Life performance pet products. Son said they told him it was a probiotic???

Have a great day and thanks again for your help.