Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 30th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Question In House Dog Training

I am wondering if there are any reasonably priced in house dog trainers. The cheapest I have found is $800, this is way out of my budget. Is there anyone out there who can do in home housetraining in the price range of $250-$325?
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

ouch!!

for 800 bucks does the guy(girl) move in? Do yo mean 'in house" tht they just come to your house, obviously? How many visits were included in the 800$

...I'm just curious..I find this outrageously expensive!!
Old January 30th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy Crap...$800?

Is it Obedience sessions your looking into?Instead of having someone come to the house,why not take the pup to classes?This way he/she can be around other pups and yours can learn and socialize at the same time.

And it would be much cheaper for you.
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a dog that had in house training but he went and lived with the trainer for 8 weeks. Mickey was totally out of control and would not listen at all. I had him in classes with myself several times but had no luck with him and because he was so bad and so protective this was my last option and he came back a totally well behaved dog. I also had to attend classes for a month so I could learn commands.

He was taught hand and voice signals and to releive the stress of not being at home he got to do alot of agility and loved it.

He also learned to ride in a car without getting sick(something he always did) and was no longer food or toy aggressive. The trainer took him everywhere with him just as if he was his own dog and he showed him lots of love and attention.

This was a very hard time for me being away from my baby for so long but the end result was well worth it and it did cost $900.00 and that was in 1992.

I was not allowed to visit during this time but they did send me vidoes of his progress once a week and called often.

I would not recommend this training for everyone but if you have a dog that you just can't control no matter what you try it is worth it. I did a lot of research on this fellow and got alot of references.

Hope this helps and good luck!