Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM
banned user

Tail sucking

I'm not sure what to make of this?

My Dal is sucking her tail right up to the body. Like she sewers it. It has began to turn brown.

We know she did this in the pound. She stopped for the longest time.

It's winter here.I do still take them out for runs.

Any ideas???? Also what can i do to stop her?
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh dear. How long was this dog in the pound? Many dogs - like people - can develop neurotic habits like spinning, chewing themselves, overgrooming, etc. when stressed.

How old is she and how much exercise is she getting? Has something changed in your home - new pet, work/school schedules..?

I would take her to the vet - she may need some meds to get her over this destructive habit. This is quite serious, as she could damage her tail to the point where it could need amputation.
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:31 PM
banned user

She was 6 months old when she was in the pound. They did nothing with her. She was never out side nothing. She had been in there almost a month.

The only change has been snow and let me tell you she hates it with a passion. We have to push her out the door. I take her for daily runs (except when its way too cold) for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

I phoned the vet.....now I'm all worried they will put her on pills. Is there anything herbal......or anything else you all can think of to help her?
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all - get her a coat and boots and exercise her. This is very important. Dals are athletic dogs and MUST have sufficient exercise. I have a dog with very short hair too, but I dress her (and me) up and off we go - even if it's just 1/2 hr of playing fetch or tug in my yard.

I don't know how long you have had her, but a routine is very important to rescued and pound dogs. Knowing what is going to happen is often quite calming for them. So try and feed, exercise and play with her at about the same time every day.

I think you should take her to the vet, just in case something physical is causing her to do this. Ask about something called "Rescue Remedy". This is an all natural substance and may help her.
She may need other meds to break the cycle she is in.
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Dog sucks tail

Hi There,

You must of course make sure that there is nothing medically wrong with the dog. The tail is an extension of the dog's spinal column...so there could be a medical problem somewhere in the body and the tail sucking is the sign of the dog's illness. Sucking it may help relieve pain/anxiety. You need to see a vet first to rule this out. Have the vet check the dog's anal sacs too.

If it's not medical it could still be psychological - he could have some type of compulsive disorder and medication may help.

It could however just be a behavioural problem. The best way to deal with this is take detailed notes. WHEN is the dog doing this (while you're watching t.v., playing with the baby etc) WHAT do you do when you catch the dog (sooth the dog, scold the dog etc.) Some dogs suck/chase tails simply to get attention. If you think this is the case you may try rewarding NOT sucking. IGNORE the actual sucking.

If nothing helps ask you vet for a referral for a vet that SPECIALIZES in behaviour problems. In general these problems often require a bit of extra effort, because there are so many possible causes.....but they are solvable.

Julie Sansregret - AHT, Dog trainer
Guides Canins
1313, rue PineRidge,
St-Lazare-de-Vaudreuil, Qué.
J7T 2M7 (450) 424-1469
www.guidescanins.com
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM
banned user

Thanks petdr for the reply.

I have found out that its due to anxiety that she is sucking the tail. Like a security blanket I guess.
This winter has been very harsh in our area and walks have not been done because of the extreme cold.
Dals need their excercise..I know that...so we have taken up in door bubble catching and games of "hide the Mommy". I am so hoping for a break in this cold soon!!!!!!!