Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Swift Tribe

Modifying A Raw Diet Temporarily

the next steps in Misters training requires food treats as motivation. we are currently feeding raw but are willing to go to a cooked if it helps for now. a good bit of our reasons for raw versus a cooked is convenience. i dont want to add supplements or hunt down meatless bones for calcium or put together this huge meal for him.... and so on. raw is just EASIER.

so i need some help. id like to keep doing raw but we need this motivation more. anyone willing to work through the logistics of this with me??

we have some treats we can use. we have been using Zukes Mini Naturals which are a big hit, have no grain or soy and are already pretty small. they contain good healthy stuff but i dont know how to compensate with Misters raw food. do i find make something cooked out of the offal?? offer cooked muscle meat and meatless bones (A LOT OF WORK!!!) any other suggestion for very healthy yummy 'treats'? should i not be too concerned with weight gain while he is so young?

we have been pretty blase with his raw diet with the confidence that all things work out if you supply the equipment. i worry abotu adding artificial substances to it. its one thing to Mister Hoover up a few cheerios or cheddar bunnies a day. its totally different when we are filling his tummy up with 'treats' that CLAIM they are great for feeding often.

im rambling.

any suggestions are appreciated!!

-ashley
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Learning fast

Get some liver or Kidney or both (i use cow liver and Pigs kidneys are they are free) boil them for 15 minutes and give the broth for a drink. Then slice the organ meat and bake it on a tray with chopped garlic till chewy consistancy, you can brush the garlic off when your cooked.
I also used to trim the fat off the pork roasts and grill that till I got the fat out, ginger and garlic added make them a real hit, but thats a lot messier on your grill. Also the salmon treats in the recepie section are a real hit, you can also nibble on them aswell.
As for cutting down on the diet, I wouldn't, the idea of treats is for a taste of something yummy, not a whole meal, I have my treats the size of a quarter of a chereo. But I have a large bit for visual inticement. Also something thats bad for them occasionally won't harm, chicken weiners are my 'bad' treat.
I also like roll over as you can regulate the size. With treats you need to really mix them up to get a good result rather then the majic treat.
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
-

If you have a food dehydrator you can dry meats, fruits, veggies ~ just about anything. If oven-baking, I recommend doing so at a lowwwww temp ~ specially the liver, so that the treats cook up chewy rather than rock hard. If you want to save a little time (cutting up liver is a P.A.I.N, you can also puree it then bake it (cool well after boiling it and puree with a little broth, then dollop onto a parchment covered baking sheet or use a silpat matt). I like my training treats to be about the size of my thumbnail ~ teasers or an amuse bouche as Frenchy might say !
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Or, you could just get some Benny Bully's freeze dried liver treats. Also comes in beef lung, chicken heart, and clam.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Or, you could just get some Benny Bully's freeze dried liver treats. Also comes in beef lung, chicken heart, and clam.
what a most perfect idea!!!

are these expected prices??
http://www.barenecessitiespetfood.com/FreezeDried.htm

also, folks have their pets entire diet freeze dried? yuck! lol

-ashley
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I second the Benny Bully's suggestion, it's like doggie crack.....
The liver, IMHO, is the best for training because you can break off tiny little pieces and make one square last a loooong time. The heart etc. are a lot harder to break up and tend to be a tad greasy, making them not so appealing to keep in your pocket or whatever.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Swift Tribe

oh i gotta see the big pic of that tongue pitgrrl!!!! pretty please?!?!

thanks for the heart tips... what about the lung??

-ash
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
-

Some of the lung bits are like sharp little rocks and don't break up by hand easily. The liver pieces seem to be more like "puffed wheat". But they are $$$$$$$$ in my book.
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
But they are $$$$$$$$ in my book.
Ah, but that's why you break off pieces the size of a pepper corn, makes the smallest bags last forever....
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM
Swift Tribe

yep, littler pieces the better.

-ash