Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM
banned user

Wild birds.

Do any of you know a good wild Canadian bird site? I been searching but can't find exactly what I want. More a visual then a text site. My birdy feeder in the kitchen window has been loaded lately with these smokey colored little birds that are so sweet. The weird thing this year is not one Blue Jay. Personally I can't stand them cause they are so bossy. But not one around...very odd! I found out something cool other day. Did you know wood peckers have a real yellow under their wings? Very pretty birds once you can get passed Knock knock knock!!!!
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wooo hoooey

Don't get Anita and I started we are birdie bird birders LOL

Smokey coloured birds, are they small? Coal Grey with lighter grey chests?
Could be a Junco!

www.enature.com is a great site for birds and other animals. I use it all the time. You can even listen to the bird calls there as well.

Junco's don't usually go to feeders they're more ground feeders and stay in the evergreens. If you can grab a pic if you got a digi cam we can try to help you out.

Anita and I were talking about WNV it's affected a lot of species including the blue jay (I actually love them )

I've seen an increase in numbers.

The way to keep our birds healthy is to provide them with fresh feed and water (keep the area clean so they don't cross contaminate one another with poop) LOL
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM
banned user

It's the size of a chickadee......has this wonderful soft smokey gray coloring on top and then lighter on the bottom or underneath. It doesn't look like feathers because of how soft the coloring it. Really a sweet little bird. Sort of looks like the Junco but still too harsh in the coloring.

We got the WNV here too. I was wondering if thats what hit the Blue Jays? They are pretty but dang with attitude!!!!! lol!

OMG thanks for the site!!!!!!! I'm going to play there for a bit.

Oh got another question...what bird has the call that sounds like "Yooouu hooo" Like it says it over and over. That little sucker follows me around but I never seen him!
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Maybe it's a female Junco?

Take a peekerbooo on the site

Lemme think on the Yoohoo'ers

IS it like the bird is actually whistling at you like a guy would if you walked by ? LMAO only way I can describe it?
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:24 PM
banned user

Yep! Makes me frickin' crazy keeps going yooo hoooo! AWWWWW
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I fink dat it's either starling or grackle I'm trying to remember
but they have like three different calls and they only do that one sometimes around mating season. LOL cute huh
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh boy,it could be a Junco,mine are gone,they only stick around in the winter.
But they are bigger than a chickadee,it could have been some sort of Warbler.
There is all kinds of birds that come for a quick visit in the spring on their way somewhere else.Good stuff!! Love'em

The starlings make a sweet whistling sound,among others...it's fun now when all the birds are feeling romantic!!
Old May 8th, 2004, 03:39 AM

Smile BIRD LISTINGS And Woodpeckers

TRY THIS FOR FINDING BIRDS AND INFORMATION

http://montereybay.com/creagrus/list.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Woodpeckers are typically the only insect eating birds that can remain in interior Alaska in the winter. They are highly specialized birds with hard, straight, chisel-like bills and a long slender tongue tipped with a horny spear. Woodpeckers use their bill to drill holes in the bark of sick or dead trees just large enough so their tongue can reach in and impale insect larvae hiding inside. When not in use, the woodpecker's tongue, which is anchored at the base of the bill, actually wraps itself around the back of the skull between the skull and the skin and waits to be used the next time.

WOODPECKERSPicidae

Species in family 214

I have 8 different woodpeckers visiting here right now. They love seed blocks and insects.
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ahh woods u beat me again

I only have 3
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Last summer I heard this strange sound,us birders know if there is a new birdsound in the neighborhood and run to get the binoculars
I pour over the bird-book,until I find the bird in question.
This particular one was a Common Flicker,not so common in my backyard,they are the size of a Jay and a very pretty wood-pecker.Otherwise I've only noticed the regular little red-breasted ones.
Here in Oakville we were very hard hit by West Nile,I lost six crows but in all of Oakville there are hardly any crows left.I still have one lame crow and it's sad to see him alone
The Blue Jays,I have plenty of and I wish there was fewer,they are notorious for raiding my birdhouses
Anyway,any time I discover a new bird,it's like I won a million bucks(well,almost!!!)
Most birdbooks I have,only tell the basics of different species,I like to know why the birds do what they do and when,how long for eggs to hatch etc...
My absolute favourite,except for the crow,is the Robin.
The male always returns first,to check out the neighborhood for nest-sites and when he's found one he'll start singing prettily for the returning females.
I've been lucky enough to have a Robins-nest in my big pine-tree right outside my living-room window and am able to watch the progression of eggs turning into baby-Robins several times.I know they are common,but to me signify the end of winter and the beginning of new life all around me.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:31 AM
banned user

Thanks for the help you guys (insert big lip kiss here) My all time Favorite bird is the Magpie. i love that long tail and how the sun catches the white....such a contrast from the black.

Ever hear of the pits of Narcisse? It's a huge mating place for snakes. It's pretty cool here is web site.

http://www.sxu.edu/~krohmer/narc.html
Attached Images

Old May 8th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I have no Magpies here But in Sweden,they were the only "crows"we had,I too find them beautiful..
Also when we were visiting Alberta I found the Stellar Jay very nice.
I occasionally have Hawks coming to my back-yard for lunch and it's a strange phenomena(sp?),I know right away when they are here, everything gets quiet not a bird in sight.I also find the Birds of prey extreemly beautiful and I will watch them in awe(so,I am weird )
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'd love to see a magpie, that would be a beautiful site

Yes WNV did hit hard. Lucky the pop seems to be growing again.
Anita with the way you feed your crow I'm sure he'll have a mate soon, he prob looks so nice and handsome! hubba hubba

I do the same thing, run for the book....binoculars and camera. Hardly ever get close enuf to take a pic worth showing though (one day a huge zoom lens for me)

I have this one feeder I got a crappy tire years and years ago
the cheapest one there, sites atop a pole, clear plastic with plastic green roof...it's lasted the longest ..all the expensive ones end up malfunctioning.

Sadie actually loves to watch the birds, she follows them as they fly overhead... a grackle dive bombed her in the yard the other day cause she was close to the feeder and it wanted to eat. Didn't phase her..she just looked at it like...Oh u wanna play?
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM

I'm not a huge bird fan. In fact I generally find them somewhat annoying, but that's likely because the only place I can park my car has a big tree overhead. I know they know I don't like them. That's why they aim at my car. Damn birds.
Anyhoo, here in Vancouver we've got this really weird thing that happens every evening. There are god knows how many crows here. Must be many many thousands. Who knows, maybe even hundreds of thousands. Every night at roughly the same time, they all head east to Burnaby which borders Vancouver on the East. They all go to the same place and stay there overnight. I've never actually seen the place, but it's cool when you look up and see these streams of crows all going in the same direction. It's almost un-nerving that the streams just keep coming and coming. You could easily sit there and watch crows go by in flocks for over 15 minutes and you wouldn't see a break in the flocks.
Here's something else interesting that I'm sure bird likers already know.
Group of crows= A murder of crows.
Group of ravens=A menace of Ravens.
My personal fave is a group of monkeys being called a gang.
Old May 8th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Billy-Bob,you are soooo lucky,you just don't know it yet,I have one crow...
Before West Nile I used to see masses of them too,having a meeting in one big tree only to fly off to,what I think was a farmers field just North of me.
I would give anything to have my crows back
But they predict we are going to have another bad West Nile year...
I too am not that excited about poop on my car,bet heck,keep paper-towel in the car for a quick clean-up.They got to poop somewhere and they know you don't like them,so your car is an easy target.The only solution is to be nice to the birds,maybe even feed them,then they'll poop on your neighbors car!!
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

The only solution is for the little buggers to start carrying around their own poop bags and being responsible for themselves! Damn birds.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Talking Emily Post's Etiquette for birds

For anyone needing crows you are welcome to come here and take all you can carry. We have thousands as well as hundreds of other birds of all varities-sizes-colors etc.
Our first Humming birds arrived yesterday so we have set up their feeding stations and they will stay throughSeptember when they head south again.
We live in an area on the edge of a forest and the bird life here is really outstanding.
Re: crows we have some that are a foot tall and 15 inches from head to tail. We also have awsome hawks and while they do eat a few of the birdies it is the natural life cycle and they are beautiful to watch soaring a thousand feet high looking for mousy snackers.

Bill / Bob you mean they make cars without bird poop on them??
I thought they came from the factory like that!!!!

Just goes to show you what living in the woods country can do for your outlook on life...
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok Woody,I'll be there soon..I need a mate for my lonely crow
As for Hawks,I get a natural high when I see them soaring in the sky amazingly beautiful!!!
I have a couple coming almost daily, one smaller,I think a Coopers Hawk and they usually sit in my tall tree waiting for any movement,,,
and as you say,it looks brutal when they get a little bird or a mourning-dove,as I saw just last week.But it is natures way,at least they are not being shot for a feather in someones cap.