Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Hypathetical question.

I do not know if this should be in training, or health. In my case with Harley it is mental health.
What would you do if your dog bit a child. Let's make it clear Harley has not yet!!! I say yet because his reaction around strange kids is getting worse. If the bite occurred and was not a child's fault at all but the insecurity of your dog mixed in with high prey drive, how would you handle it. Every time a child cries or is playing, or even riding a bike, you can see the anxiety and stress level grow. I am getting to the point of a basket muzzle outside at all times, but this does not help what is causing the issue.
Kayla is safe, he is confident and secure with her because she is above him in the pack.
What would you do if your dog bit a child.

I am trying to stop the possible chance, I need to take precautions, Kayla can not even have friends over because of his reactions. I tried putting him a rom, all you can hear is the pacing in the crate, and the panting.

Last edited by Rottielover; July 19th, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I don't know what I would do if Jasper bit a child. I am having the exact same problem with Jasper to the point that family whether adult or child don't come visit us anymore. I don't take Jasper for a walk I let my husband do it because I cannot handle him. He jumps out at people walking by and he's just too strong for me. We have been through training and a behavoirist but it has not helped. I hardly ever go see family because I cannot take Jasper and cannot leave him home because he tears things apart and when he's in his kennel all he does is yelp and bark and somethimes bangs his face on his kennel door and injures himself.
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Growing up and having dogs my whole life the rules always were that if our dogs bit unprovoked they would be put down. Little harsh I know but honestly if one of the dogs ever did attack a child I don't know what I would do. Just knowing those were the rules growing up my parents and now myself work very hard at preventing these behaviors. High prey drive is no excuse for biting, Meiko has a child nipping incident on him from when he was younger but this is why we spent countless hours and a lot of money with behaviourists with him.
I have met Harley in person and he is a spectacular dog but judging by your concern I think it's time that he gets some major behaviour modification done, it's never too late.
Prey drive can be harnessed into something good. We were and are lucky enough to have Meiko working cattle occasionally and this has helped a great deal, my biggest dog motto is "tired dogs are good dogs"
I am currently concerned about Karmas temperament and guardian nature right now and have found by changing the "rules" and buckling down with her has made some improvements, she can not be trusted offlead at all at this current time so tiring her out is quite difficult as walking does nothing to both physically and mentally drain her...
Time to get tough and creative with him IMO
Prey drive or not he needs to know the limits
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1 View Post
I don't know what I would do if Jasper bit a child. I am having the exact same problem with Jasper to the point that family whether adult or child don't come visit us anymore. I don't take Jasper for a walk I let my husband do it because I cannot handle him. He jumps out at people walking by and he's just too strong for me. We have been through training and a behavoirist but it has not helped. I hardly ever go see family because I cannot take Jasper and cannot leave him home because he tears things apart and when he's in his kennel all he does is yelp and bark and somethimes bangs his face on his kennel door and injures himself.
Tired dogs are good dogs!

He needs to have some energy drained and on a daily basis, this boy sounds as though he is bored out of his mind.

I stand firm that mostly all behaviour problems dogs have is due to owner error, that was the case with my Meiko, he is not wiired wrong, we did things wrong with him this causing bad behaviours.

Have you done just plain obedience training with him? Dogs not excercised regularly will lunge, pull, bark at other dogs ect...
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

If the dog is unprovoked and bites a child, it needs to be put down. Period. I have done it before myself.
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Prevention, precaution, management and you greatly reduce the chances of a bite.

What is his reaction around strange kids? How do you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I stand firm that mostly all behaviour problems dogs have is due to owner error...
I wholeheartedly agree. This can be applied to when something we're doing in an attempt to correct an unwanted behavior isn't working, it's time to re-evaluate our approach.

Last edited by luckypenny; July 19th, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a series of gates in my home where my beagle lived quite well, my own two kids could do anything with her but from the time she turned 4 till she passed away at 14 1/2 she hated kids....she bit one of hubs friends who I warned not to pet her and tore my sis in laws ankle up when she accidently stepped on her while she was sleeping. did I raise her wrong? probably, this was back before they had ob classes and all the resourses they have now. oh and she was walked 5 miles a day, plus run in the back yard and field next to us a couple times a day.
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Tired dogs are good dogs!

He needs to have some energy drained and on a daily basis, this boy sounds as though he is bored out of his mind.

I stand firm that mostly all behaviour problems dogs have is due to owner error, that was the case with my Meiko, he is not wiired wrong, we did things wrong with him this causing bad behaviours.

Have you done just plain obedience training with him? Dogs not excercised regularly will lunge, pull, bark at other dogs ect...
He gets plenty of exercise. Since he has a problem with small dogs we don't go to the park but we go to my sisters farm and let him run and play with her shepherds every morning for about 3 hrs. then he gets playtime in our backyard in the afternoon plus my husband takes him for a 1 1/2 walk at 10:00 pm because there are no kids out. We have the same problem in obedience class because there is a mix of small and big dogs so we did private classes but still dislikes kids and small dogs. We are still in private classes with our 3rd trainer.The humane society told us he had a little problem with kids until he gets to know them. I wasn't to concerned because I don't have kids. When I happened to "meet" someone from another forum that knows Jasper we were able to connect with the previous owner and ask questions. I will try and find the email I got from her and post it.
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Here is the email I got from Jasper's previous owner.

We were Jasper's second owner. He was 11 weeks old when we got him, the first owner only had him about 9 days but sent him back to the farm because children and toys did not mix with him.
Jasper has always humped but before he was fixed he would urinate while humping my 2 yr. old girl so the vet said neuturing would stop the urinating but not the humping because the humping is a dominance issue. He used to play with the neighbors dog (a Charles Cavalier) in our backyard but one day he got mad because the other dog had a toy he wanted and attacked him and we ended up paying a $326 vet bill. About 2 weeks after that he dug under the fence and went after the neighbors dog again and tore her ear so there went another $219.00. Please do not leave hin unattended with a small animal. Jasper can not be left alone for more than 30-45 minutes. I took him the the store with me and when I came out he had dug a hole in the seat of my new mini van and my husband said I could not take him anymore. It cost us $986.40 for a new seat. When I left him home he tore my couch cushion to threads, so I started confining him to the kitchen but I came home after being out for about an hour and he had gotten over the gate and killed our 3 month old kitten. The kitten had died of a broken neck and the stomach was tore open. He has always had a problem with being greedy. He would always take toys, and food away from my daughter resulting in her being bit. On Dec. 3/05 my daughter went to pick up her drinking cup off the floor Jasper ran and grabbed her face resulting in 8 stitches across her cheek. One day he is fine with her and the next he is mean with her. He could no longer be trusted around my daughter. We tried obedience but he had issues with other dogs there and the trainer wouldn't allow him back. He offered to do private classes but it would have costs us close to $1000.00 by time we were finished and decided not to. With everything he has done I had enough and we sent him to the humane society. I have never felt more relief in my life since letting him go. It may sound cruel but I can only handle so much. I hope your doing better with him than we did.

Jasper is staying with us. I have no plans of re-homing him or sending him back to the humane society because I am worried that they would put him down because of his history. I don't want that to happen. I pay close attention to him and if need be will be muzzled to protect kids, dogs and himself from being injured. We have kids next door to us and if they are outside we take him out on a leash so he can't get close to the fence because he ends up hurting himself trying to bite through our privacy fence.

A pic of Jasper and the fence he tries to bite through.
Attached Images

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't mean to thread jack but who is that other dog by the fence? What is the story behind the reaction of the black muzzled dog? Look closely at the body language of both. What is this telling you? How do you interpret this?