Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Naddy - my observations

It's been almost two weeks since I was blessed to get Nadine and her babies. In that time she has gained over a pound. This morning I brought a large dog crate into her room so I could start the weaning process to get her fixed. It wasn't in the room five minutes and she was sneezing, snorting and panting. So - in my brilliance - I have figured out that she is stressed out by changes and her health is the first thing that suffers. That is probably why she arrived so sick. That is also probably why she was dumped in the first place. If she had ever had a permanent home. She has one now.

I took the crate out of the room. I don't need her getting really sick again just when she is doing so much better. I guess the weaning will be her choice. I will be talking to my vet to see what she recommends, if anything, that I can do. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

I did take more pics. I will post them later.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi 14+K. Sounds like rhino. Ask your vet about zithromax. It is expensive but all my rhino cats did very well on this medication. It is not over the counter but precription. It is a cough syrup given to children. My vet has pushed me into trying it...and even though I was pestimistic about it - it worked great. Anyways - ask about it as the recovery from rhino (if that is what it is), is quick and you see results.

Bless you 14+K. You are my kitty hero!
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sweet Pea's kittens weren't totally weaned when I had her spayed. In fact the last foster to leave was suckling at bedtime until she left at 6 months old (I am pretty sure there was no milk left though ) . Perhaps the more the kittens get fed, the less they will suckle the milk and the less she will produce.

Didn't somebody have a nylon that they would put on the momma so her babies couldn't suckle??

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hi 14+K. Sounds like rhino. Ask your vet about zithromax. It is expensive but all my rhino cats did very well on this medication.
Hahah, I have always taken Zithromax when I get sinus infections. And I can vouch that it really does work well! Six pills and you're better! (Well, for humans, anyways!)
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Hi 14+K. Sounds like rhino. Ask your vet about zithromax. It is expensive but all my rhino cats did very well on this medication. It is not over the counter but precription. It is a cough syrup given to children. My vet has pushed me into trying it...and even though I was pestimistic about it - it worked great. Anyways - ask about it as the recovery from rhino (if that is what it is), is quick and you see results.

Bless you 14+K. You are my kitty hero!
She and the babies are already being treated with amoxicillan,lysine, and vitamins. I didn't want to add more onto her for the moment. But thanks for the suggestion BM. I will ask the vet about it. She may have heard of it being effective too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Sweet Pea's kittens weren't totally weaned when I had her spayed. In fact the last foster to leave was suckling at bedtime until she left at 6 months old (I am pretty sure there was no milk left though ) . Perhaps the more the kittens get fed, the less they will suckle the milk and the less she will produce.

Didn't somebody have a nylon that they would put on the momma so her babies couldn't suckle??
My vet said when she was in last week that Naddy could be fixed now. Her milk is all but gone. I just want to get her healthy before she goes in along with a little more milk gone.
And ummm yes, "somebody" did. I have thought of doing that but wondered if it would stress her more. That may be my only option.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
Hahah, I have always taken Zithromax when I get sinus infections. And I can vouch that it really does work well! Six pills and you're better! (Well, for humans, anyways!)
For the cats I use the liquid form. Very costly, but very effective. (No wonder I am going broke)
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Hi 14+!

When I brought her from the factory to the temporary area for the day, she was stressed in the beginning. After a while, she calmed down. When I brought her to cpietra the same night, nothing at all. She was fine. When she was at cpietra, sometimes she would leave the kittens upstairs and roam the house. I guess to get a break. Do you have any Bach flower remedies at home? Rescue and Walnut would be good to give her and the kitties. You can put 2 drops on the ear and also put some in the food. Rescue if for stressfull situations and walnut is for new enveronments, changes etc. I use is with my animals. I guess you can't let Naddy out of the room to go elsewhere correct?
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Adding a bit of raw egg yolk will increase her B vitamins. It is a cheap way to help her with her immune system.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:45 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
For the cats I use the liquid form. Very costly, but very effective. (No wonder I am going broke)
L4H's vet diagnosed Tipster with Calicivirus when she took him in the night she had him. My vet said cold. I'm a little boggled but dealing with it. They are a lot better than what they were last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmonster View Post
Hi 14+!

When I brought her from the factory to the temporary area for the day, she was stressed in the beginning. After a while, she calmed down. When I brought her to cpietra the same night, nothing at all. She was fine. When she was at cpietra, sometimes she would leave the kittens upstairs and roam the house. I guess to get a break. Do you have any Bach flower remedies at home? Rescue and Walnut would be good to give her and the kitties. You can put 2 drops on the ear and also put some in the food. Rescue if for stressfull situations and walnut is for new enveronments, changes etc. I use is with my animals. I guess you can't let Naddy out of the room to go elsewhere correct?
I think the best thing to do for her right now is to not do anything stupid to stress her. I did that by bringing in the crate. Now that it's gone she's back to being the loving sweetheart she is. There is no way I can let her out to wander the house. I have six others that would not take kindly to that. One is a territorial sprayer. I don't imagine she is contagious but I don't want to take the chance of passing it on to the other house kitties. I had to medicate 30 catty cats last summer when they all got sick. Don't want to go through that again.

Quote:
Adding a bit of raw egg yolk will increase her B vitamins. It is a cheap way to help her with her immune system.
She gets raw eggs in her diet L4. Are you saying to give her even more? That's easily done.

Take a look at her eyes. First pic was when I had the crate in the room. You can clearly see her third eyelid.
Name:  IMG_1634.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  60.6 KB
This one is about 10 minutes after taking the crate back out. No third eyelid. I think the girl is foxin' me!!! It's just really strange how she seems to make it come and go like that. I will be taking them back in for a recheck soon and will ask the vet about that.
Name:  IMG_1648.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  48.4 KB

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just the yolks, no whites. The whites should be slightly cooked as they contain an enzyme (Avidin sp??) that inhibit the B vitamin biotin absorption. If you are currently giving them some raw egg, I wouldn't worry about increasing it then.

As for her third eyelid, does it come out when she is tired? Just woken up? Maybe gets a bit stressed thinking she is being moved again?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Just the yolks, no whites. The whites should be slightly cooked as they contain an enzyme (Avidin sp??) that inhibit the B vitamin biotin absorption. If you are currently giving them some raw egg, I wouldn't worry about increasing it then.

As for her third eyelid, does it come out when she is tired? Just woken up? Maybe gets a bit stressed thinking she is being moved again?

Ok then. Just yolks it is. Thanks L4
It's funny with the eyes. A few days back with the worse of the sneezing, etc. the lid was showing all the time. Now she seems to show it just when she's stressed. Or hungry. Maybe she's worried about losing the gravy train she's found. I will keep a close eye - no pun intended - on her to see what ensues. It's quite possible when I brought the crate in she figured she was being moved again.

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor little Naddy. So much stress for a mommy to deal with. Hopefully in time she'll learn she's home to stay and can relax.
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,she has a panicky look in the first pic.
I suppose the week of her move was very stressful,that on top of caring for her babies.
I wish she understood that she's now in her forever home,not going away again
She is a sweet little girl,does the vet think this was her first litter.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Hi Chico!

This is her first litter. From the first day she showed up at our factory till this April, which was over 1 1/2 years, this was the first time with kittens. I guess she was not old enough to have kittens last spring/summer/fall.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
14+,she has a panicky look in the first pic.
I suppose the week of her move was very stressful,that on top of caring for her babies.
I wish she understood that she's now in her forever home,not going away again
She is a sweet little girl,does the vet think this was her first litter.
I don't know if that is a panicky look chico. She is used to me bringing food and treats in when I go in to see them. I didn't that time. She was probably disappointed. She loves her food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmonster View Post
Hi Chico!

This is her first litter. From the first day she showed up at our factory till this April, which was over 1 1/2 years, this was the first time with kittens. I guess she was not old enough to have kittens last spring/summer/fall.
Thanks for that info MM.

Old July 14th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi 14+... Naddy may just be overwhelmed with all this move, new babies, etc...; afterall if this is indeed her first litter ,(6 wee ones) she should be overwhelmed.
Like in your home, she really came to life when she saw snacks in my hand...that look of disappointment looks familiar...
I hope whatever "bug" is in her system finds its way out.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:49 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

glad the pretty lady is feeling abit better,,i'm sure the ride in my car smelling of dogs added to her stress somewhat.