Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Raise her food dishes up a bit - head above the stomach while eating.

Have you tried purebites treats? They're easy to crumble ontop of other food. What about cooked meat? The bbq chicken from the deli counter in the grocery store seems a near irresistible food for cats. Tried raw w/her?

Was she tested for Helicobacter?

Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Feline Cholangiohepatitis 2003

Feline Cholangiohepatitis - Mar Vista Vet
At this point she has not been tested for anything growler. The vet made her diagnosis from the jaundice she saw and Benni's reaction when she explored her belly area. She wants to see if these meds will do their job and we will go from there. This is what they would normally prescribe.
Benni hates raw. She has been turning her nose up at cooked but haven't tried the chicken yet. My store doesn't sell it and I hate going to the other store in town. They are expensive. Will look for the treats when I buy the cat food this week.
I am still force feeding her. At least this way she is getting something down her.
Thanks for the sites. I will read them shortly.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 15th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Compromised account

I hope benni pulls through..
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Best of luck 14+. I've been going through a lot with my cats lately but no liver disease yet (though Oscar recently got over a liver infection). Anyway, I really do know how hard it is - especially on the heels of a loss (I lost my baby Gus just a few months back). Hang in there! And Benni too!!!
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, poor Benni

I think the worm meds are pretty harmless, the only ingredient would be the grape seed extract, but I thought that was harmless to cats.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks Jennie and rjesak. Your support and prayers mean a lot.
L4 - I didn't mean the ingredients in the worm meds. I meant the meds themselves and how effective they were. I have found out lately that Strongid does not get rid of all types of worms. So it is possible Benni has one that it doesn't cover. I gave her a Melbamax this morning. It covers most worms. We'll see.
She, like Puddles, isn't eating yet. I am force feeding her a few times a day. She's not liking it much.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
banned user

Unfortunately I have no advise for kitties...only prayers and good vibes coming your way...you sure have your hands full my friend!
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
Unfortunately I have no advise for kitties...only prayers and good vibes coming your way...you sure have your hands full my friend!
Thanks Shirley. I thrive on stress!

Old September 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,when you force-feed her she's not vomiting is she and that's a good sign(I think)I tried feeding Rocky with a syringe,but it came back up,the little bit I got him to swallow.
My diabetic Peppi,was jaundice when he was first diagnosed..

I cannot believe what is happening with our kitties
Benni will get better
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
-

I'm really sorry to hear that Benni isn't improving.

Sending lots more prayers and good wishes your way.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
150% PRO S/N

Benni still isn't eating on her own. I have been force feeding her for over a week now. All I see is her wasting away. I keep praying I will get up in the morning and she will have eaten something on her own. I will be phoning the vet again tomorrow.
I have had Benni and her son Snoopy in my life now for somewhere around 14 months or so. She is the cat the customer foisted on me last year by telling me she was going to take her to be put down if I didn't take her. Only after I agreed did she tell me about Snoopy, her kitten. She also never told me Benni was pregnant again. After 14 months today was the first time I heard her purr. I am praying I will hear many many more of them.

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:56 PM
-

I'm praying with you.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM

still saying prayers for your kitty that she eats.. just wondering do you think the metronidazole could be causing the appetite to go down even more? I have heard it is a really really nasty tasting drug, need to really hide it or it will make a cat nauseaus... used lots for gum, teeth, skin and bowel infections,worms or giardia. I am sure its used for a couple other things but those i am most familiar with. Just wondered if the taste, or perhaps the extra antibiotic isnt agreeing with her?
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Willing cat servant

I just thought of something...
Maybe parallel to Benni's meds and traditional treatment you could research and try some alternative healing techniques as long as it doesn't oppose to her regular treatment. It wouldn't hurt and it might even help, and you have nothing to lose with that.
There's aroma therapy, digitopuncture, even reiki, and a number of other alternate treatments. I haven't tried this but I would if I need to.
It's just a thought.

Let's all pray for Benni, the more people sending good thoughts and/or prayers the better it is.
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

14+, many prayers and good vibes coming your way from me and my gang. I hope she shows some improvement soon.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,I remember when you got Benni and her son...I was hoping for some good news this morning
Hopefully she will help you fight what's ailing her and eat,I tried everything with my boy,anything from Ham(which he used to love)to canned Tuna but to no avail...

Please little Benni,turn around and fight for your life,a life in kitty paradise with the best kitty-mom
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Come on Benni...

Hang in there 14+K. Love you Girl. Keep up the strength.
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, Benni, please eat something .

Don't give up hope, I know somebody whose cat wouldn't eat on her own for 6 months. 10 years later that kitty is an active, happy kitty.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
150% PRO S/N

She ate a whole three treats today. It's a start. It's the first food she's eaten on her own in a long time. I'm heading downtown soon to get the cat food and will look around for some tidbits for her. Meanwhile it's more forced feeding. She did greet me this morning with a lot more interest than she has since I brought her in the house. I'm hoping that's a good sign.
I have her on a whole whack of homeopathic meds and Denamarin besides what the vet prescribed. I'm sure with all of that she is sick of seeing meds period. The metronidazole is applied directly to her gums from a syringe. No hiding it in food.
Koteburo - Unfortunately with my budget a lot of those alternative measures can not be used. I have a whole slew of other kitties to feed/vet. I do the best I can but at some point I have to say stop. But thanks for the suggestions. I will look into a couple of them.
Trying to get hold of the vet. So far she hasn't called back.

Old September 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
-

Saying 's for Benni 14k....maybe she will go for the FF fishy flavors mixed with some water ....I'm happy to hear though that she seemed a bit more chippy this morning .
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Saying 's for Benni 14k....maybe she will go for the FF fishy flavors mixed with some water ....I'm happy to hear though that she seemed a bit more chippy this morning .
Nope. No FF. I've been using that all week long. I leave some available in her crate all the time so if she is hungry she will eat. She doesn't. I'm about to go do her feeding now. See how much she fights.
Thanks for your prayers Chris and everyone. I am sure they are helping.

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM
-

Hmmm, no FF, that is the one flavour I can tempt Herbie with......so far also there is a fishy Wellness one that he goes gaga over.
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
She ate a whole three treats today. It's a start. It's the first food she's eaten on her own in a long time.
That is a very good sign. Cat's when they get sick can become anorexic and dehydrated so quickly. If they associate food with feeling nauseous it may take some time to turn that around.

Another fact about cats is they require a high amount of B vitamins that assist with nerve functions. Cat's central nervous system phernoma plays a huge part in getting a cat to eat. An increase in B vitamins can be of some help. Raw egg yolks are an excellent source of Vitamin B and perhaps adding some to Benni's food will help

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
That is a very good sign. Cat's when they get sick can become anorexic and dehydrated so quickly. If they associate food with feeling nauseous it may take some time to turn that around.

Another fact about cats is they require a high amount of B vitamins that assist with nerve functions. Cat's central nervous system phernoma plays a huge part in getting a cat to eat. An increase in B vitamins can be of some help. Raw egg yolks are an excellent source of Vitamin B and perhaps adding some to Benni's food will help

I came home with beef/liver treats and freeze dried fish treats. Benni turned her nose up at both. The other kitties loved them though! Dart was growling at TT and Moewzer because he thought they were too close to his treat. I also got, beside the normal stuff, Weruva (PV just started stocking it ), Taste of the Wild canned, and Chicken soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. All of them are smelly so I hope she will dive into at least one kind.
I have VB here. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I gave her some after I read your suggestion L4. Still waiting for vet to phone back. Hope she does before I leave for work.
She has to eat soon. She's fighting the force feedings. I guess that's good in a way. Means she's getting stronger.

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM
-

Glad to hear that she at least ate some treats.

Hopefully that is a sign of more improvement to come.
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

14+...I just read your thread...I am so sorry to hear that Bennie is having such a hard time. to Bennie
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you cpietra.
No food yet. I finished off one med this morning. Hopefully now she doesn't have that taste she may eat. I am going to give her another feeding before I go to work today. it's the last one I have to do. I did notice her jaundice isn't as pronounced so that is great! She will be going back for a recheck this week. Vet never phoned yesterday and they don't work on the weekend so I wait till Monday.
On top of this there has been a bacterial infection working its' way through the whole gang for the last month. Lots of diarrhea. It started with Kearn and the gang and moved out to the rest of the catuary. I thought I was being so careful not to bring it into the house to everyone by taking my shoes off in the porch and washing really well but I should have changed my clothes too. Most of them have had it or have it now. Poor Dart is not feeling well today. He just wants to sleep. I think I need a bit of a break. Not from looking after kitties. From cleaning!!!

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
-

omg I'm so sorry about the diarhea 14+ you didn't need this on top of everything else !

that the diarhea goes away pronto !
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
You can call me DOG!

Sure hope the infections can be contained soon 14+.

Be strong and next thing you know, this will all go away.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks ladies. Things will get better.
I just fed Benni 24 ml of watered down Fancy Feast. Well, more like 22 ml. The rest of it either her or I wore. That will hold her till I get home from work. She did manage to have a normal poop though. That's a first in a while.

Old September 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry to hear about the diarrhea, 14+, not something you need on your plate right now.

Yay for the jaundice going away .

Kitties are so particular about eating that even being off just a bit turns them off, then of course meds can really stop them from eating. Hopefully she is just associating the bad taste of the meds with putting all food into her mouth and will soon realize food doesn't taste bad

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)