Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Pomeranian pup help

Hi My name is Leslie I live in Texas.
I am new. I have a pom that is 8weeks old I am trying to train him with not a lot of luck. I have been on the Internet for the past two month doing research even before we got the pom. There is to much info that you can get for $37.00 only today. We are going to put Coco in dog shows, the breeder we got him from does not do show so she had no suggestion for me. He is register with the ACA. I Would like to do a dual register with the AKC. He is also a solid chocolate pom. The vet said he had not see one that color. Is this color rare?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

A couple of quick questions.

How long have you had him? How much does he weigh? What are you feeding him?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I really would like to help you out - I have raised, bred and shown poms - but it would really help if you could answer some questions so that I can give you honest, accurate answers.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post

I got him on 2/8/08
he was born on 12/29/07
he is 2lb
I am feeding him Purina Pro Plan chicken & rice for puppys
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Poms are fabulous dogs and they are extremely smart and loyal. With time and patience, you can do just about anything you want with this pup. And that is the good news.

First off, you are going to need to socialize your puppy a lot. Both with people and with other dogs. My best (and probably the single most important thing you could possibly take from this post - even if you end up hating everything I say to you) is that you get him into a puppy kindergarten class as soon as he has completed his series of puppy shots. According to my calender - he left his family at 6 weeks of age and in doing so missed a whole lot of lessons that he would have learned from his mom and littermates.

You can probably show your pup in ACA events, but in order to register him to show him with AKC (in conformation events) both of his parents have to be registered with AKC. You can, however, get an ILP number from AKC and show him in obedience. Since he weighs 2 pounds at this age, chances are he is going to be a bit large to do well in conformation anyway.

Please do some reading here in the nutrition section. Purina's foods are not the best. I'll show you what I mean. Here are the ingredients for Purina's Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Puppy food.

Quote:
Chicken, brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), whole grain corn, corn bran, dried egg product, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
Q-4458
Let me start by saying that any food with any type of meat by-product, corn or soy won't make it into my shopping cart. Meat by-products are all of those parts that can't be used for anything but dog food. In the case of chicken, we are talking about feathers, beaks, and anything else they can't get rid of. Dogs can't digest corn and this has it listed 3 times.

Now, this doesn't mean that your dog won't do just fine on this stuff. But it does mean that he isn't getting the best nutrients for your buck. There are many other foods out there that are much better and, while slightly more expensive, your dog will be able to use all of the nutrients - thus pooping less.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavanderos View Post

I do appreciate your help. Can you tell me what dog food would be best. We only have one dog at a time so I can do the very best for him. This is my first small dog. Even though Ive been doing research I can never know enough. We have always had a Lab and loved them. This is my daughters pom she is 10 very laid back. She treat him like a baby. And always said come to mommy. She rocks him to sleep in her arm. So when he get tired he goes to her to be rocked to sleep. We put him up at night but during the day I am home so he stays out. I take him outside to potty but he steel has some accident in the house. He has one more set of shots, the vet said he could be around other dog two weeks after. Then we will join the school. He is already part of the family and I will do what is best for him. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong and I will fix it right away. Thank you for your Help.

Last edited by jeske; March 3rd, 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: took out email
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll answer - I promise but edit your e-mail address out of your post! With 300 people reading this forum that aren't logged in, you never know what nuts are going to e-mail you!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally, if I only had one Pom to feed, I would go with Merrick's or Canidae. I'll see if I can find a link for them.

While I am very glad that your daughter loves her pup, she needs to not baby it. Remember, habits learned now may be cute, but when the dog is an adult, not so cute. You really don't want to have one of those yappy, snippy dogs that every body complains about, do you? (I have one, a rescue, and he will always have issues from puppy habits.)

He is 8 weeks old. He is going to have accidents in the house. The best way to avoid them is to keep a close eye on him and watch for signs that he has to go. When you see them (you will learn what they are, trust me) take him outside immediately and praise him like crazy when he goes. Remember, unless you see him have an accident, you can't get after him. Dogs think in the moment.

Since you have a couple of weeks, start looking for a training class now. You want to find a trainer that doesn't use choke collars and is willing to use different methods of training on different dogs. For example, some dogs are very food motivated, some not so much. Training should be flexible enough to find what works with different dogs.

I have some friends in Texas. What city do you live in - I might be able to get a trainer recommendation for you.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM

I live on the west side of Fort Worth in a small town close to Weatherford. Thank you took off my email. How often should he stay in his kennel. I've read when you are potty training they should not have run of the house.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

If you leave the house or when you go to bed at night, kennel him. If you are doing housework and can not give him your undivided attention, kennel him. If you take him outside and he doesn't go potty, kennel him for a few minutes and then try again. Stay outside with him for a while - I hear the weather in Texas is lovely right now - and give him a chance to go, of course. No, he shouldn't have run of the house yet. While you can't get after him for accidents you don't catch him having, you don't want him to learn to sneak away and do it when you aren't looking.

Here is the link for Merrick's. The prices here are about double what I was paying at the local pet supply store. http://http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

If you look at the ingredient lists of any of the dry foods and compare it to the Pro Plan one, you will be able to see the difference.

(A few more posts and you will be able to post a picture of your little terrorist! )
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM

Thank you for you patience. Do you know of a trainer in my area. I would think that the local pet store would not have the best. [could be wrong].

Last edited by jeske; March 3rd, 2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: mess spell
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I live in Michigan, so I don't know a trainer right off the top of my head. LOL!

I did post on my breed specific board that has several Texas members and I will let you know as soon as I hear from someone.

Puppy kindergarten is mostly about social skills. Go and watch the class at the pet store and see what you think. While the class should teach some rather simple basic stuff - sit, come, walking on a loose leash - that sort of thing, puppies shouldn't be trotting around on leashes learning how to do a proper heel. Make sure that the trainer is gentle with the pups and patient, willing to try different things with different dogs.