Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old January 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Sound Recorder records ALL sounds, including the external ones..like a phone ringing, a dog barking, your sniffling...LOL! But it's a fast option for quick things. I use it once in a while, mostly if I need to record my voice for something though and then I shut the door and turn off the phone to try to avoid outside noise.

Hazel, I actually have a Windows Media Player tutorial I made a few years ago. But it's about 100MB, LOL! I recorded myself doing various functions and explaining them as I went. I make music videos and slide shows quite a bit and even belong to a WMM forum, LOL, so am pretty fluent with it. I'm at work at the moment, but I can type up a little tutorial for you tomorrow for the basics. It's super easy!
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you mean Windows MOVIE Maker?
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
Sound Recorder records ALL sounds, including the external ones..like a phone ringing, a dog barking, your sniffling...LOL! But it's a fast option for quick things. I use it once in a while, mostly if I need to record my voice for something though and then I shut the door and turn off the phone to try to avoid outside noise.

Not a prob here...I never hooked up the mike on my monitor

Hazel, I actually have a Windows Media Player tutorial I made a few years ago. But it's about 100MB, LOL! I recorded myself doing various functions and explaining them as I went. I make music videos and slide shows quite a bit and even belong to a WMM forum, LOL, so am pretty fluent with it. I'm at work at the moment, but I can type up a little tutorial for you tomorrow for the basics. It's super easy!
That'd be great!! Thanks, Smiley!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
Do you mean Windows MOVIE Maker?
Sorry, yes, typing too fast since I'm at work! Hazel, I'll throw something together for you tomorrow night. I'll be sleeping in since I'm working late tonight and then have a car appt and then back to back training classes for Belle and Jelly, and then a hair appt. I should get home around 7ish, so I'll work on it then!
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

LOl smiley No problems
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Sorry, yes, typing too fast since I'm at work! Hazel, I'll throw something together for you tomorrow night. I'll be sleeping in since I'm working late tonight and then have a car appt and then back to back training classes for Belle and Jelly, and then a hair appt. I should get home around 7ish, so I'll work on it then!
Okay, I've got Movie Maker, too...wondered about that when you said 'timeline'.

No hurry...I've already 'rebuilt' the CD for rainbow and will mail it out, but hubby really wants to post this to the web so if I can get the music file under 50 M, all would be right with his world (give or take the deep freeze outside )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Now I'm all excited

But truly, Smiley...I'm in no hurry, so no pressure to get it done quick

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
-

Okay, the computer dummy is sooooo lost.

Hazel, if you can figure something out from everyone's suggestions then don't go to all the trouble of re-sending another cd.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Actually...the easiest option is for me just to send the new CD, rainbow. Cuz until and unless I can cut that blasted music down to size, it'll be our only option! LOL

Easiest for you, too

I won't be able to get into town to mail it till next week sometime...and if by some miracle I figure out how to make the music file smaller and post it on a share site somewhere by then, well, I just won't mail it...

Old January 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok, here are the steps to import a song into WMM and then re-save to your computer at a smaller size:

Open up Movie Maker
On left, you'll see the "Task" options:
1. Capture Video
2. Edit Movie
3. Finish Movie

Click on the arrow after Capture Video to expand your option under that section. You'll see:
Capture From Video Device
Import Video
Import Pictures
Import Audio or Music

In this case, double-click on Import Audio or Music.
Another Window will open. In this window, find where your song is saved on your computer. Select the song and click on Import.

The song will appear as a thumbnail on the middle section of Movie Maker, known as "Collections."

Along the bottom of Movie Maker, you can see three horizontal bars. This is your timeline. You can see the top bar of the timeline is for videos, the middle bar is for Audio/Music, and the third is for Titles. You want to drag your song down to the Audio/Music section of your timeline. Put your mouse on the thumbnail of your song and drag it by right clicking on your mouse and moving or dragging the song down to the Audio section of the timeline.

To save, we want to "Finsih Movie." Go back to the options or tasks on the left hand side. Click on the arrow after Finish Movie to expand your options under that section. You'll see an option to Save to my Computer.
Double click on Save to my computer. Another window will open up. Name the song and choose where you want to save to your computer and hit next. It will then say:
Best quality for playback or
see other choices.
Double click on See Other Choices. You'll see:
Best Quality for playback
Best Fit to File Size
Other Settings

Select Best Fit to File Size and choose whatever size you want to save the song as and click next. It will then save to your computer. You can close down Movie Maker and find the song wherever you saved it on your computer. It will be saved as a WMV file. This can be uploaded to a share site or emailed.

My laptop has Vista on it and a different version of WMM. This is the steps for XP. If you do have Vista, let me know as it's slightly different. I have my old latop that has XP on it still as well, but the sound doesn't work on it so I also recorded the steps for you, but it has no sound unfortunately. But it might still help you? I uploaded it here for you. It's only 600kb, so should be fine for you to download on dial-up. To download from this site, you will see a little box at the top where it wants you to enter a three letter code. Enter the three letters and click on download. It will show you two download options in two columns. Ignore the first column, it's for premium users. The second column will have a count down on it for 45 seconds. After it counts down, a download button will appear. Click on the "free download" button and choose to save to your computer. If you're able to re-size the song, you can then upload it to this same site to share it with Rainbow.

These are probably too big for you to download, but here is the portion of an old tutorial I made a few years ago for a friend. I edited it down to just the section where I talk about importing, but it's still 12MB, so not sure if you can download that or not. And if you're really feeling crazy, LOL, here is my full 37 minute tutorial. It's 100MB though, so pretty big! I made it a few years ago for a friend, so I'm talking to her and she already knew some of the basics, so I'm moving pretty fast. Not sure if it would make such sense to someone unless they knew the bare bones basics of WMM. And in this case, we were working with TV episodes instead of home movies. But it's all the same idea. I wish I could remake one, but my old laptop has no sound and my current one has Vista, so a different version than XP's. But hopefully this will help!

Last edited by Smiley14; January 17th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, , Smiley! It is perfectly understandable! I'll give it a try later when I can devote all my attention to it.

Old January 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, , Smiley! It is perfectly understandable! I'll give it a try later when I can devote all my attention to it.
I'm sure glad that it is perfectly understandable to you, Hazel, cuz it's gobbley-dook to me.

Sending lots of for it to work.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Understanding and being able to do it are two different things, though But I'm still that this works...

Do you know if .wav and .wmv are compatible, Smiley? I think PowerPoint wants a wav file...

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Understanding and being able to do it are two different things, though But I'm still that this works...

Do you know if .wav and .wmv are compatible, Smiley? I think PowerPoint wants a wav file...
Oh sorry, another typo! It will actually save a music file as WMA. WMV is how it saves a video file. Sorry about that!!!! I am in serious need of some sleep, LOL! But WMA and WAV are basically interchangeable. If it doesn't like the WMA for some odd reason, you can actually just change the file extension from WMA to WAV and the song still plays just fine.
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
But WMA and WAV are basically interchangeable. If it doesn't like the WMA for some odd reason, you can actually just change the file extension from WMA to WAV and the song still plays just fine.
Excellent!!! I was hoping that would be true!

Old January 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel... Just a FYI you can import your pics do captions funny stuff in Movie maker and for file upload, (Might be easier next time?)
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
Hazel... Just a FYI you can import your pics do captions funny stuff in Movie maker and for file upload, (Might be easier next time?)
I'm more familiar with PowerPoint so it'd still be easier for me than learning MM. With powerpoint I faded elements in and out of slides...not sure if you can do that in MM?

Old January 18th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

yup you can hazel I actually made the rainbow bridge also in MM as an experiment.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Worked like a charm, Smiley! Cut the music from 51.8 M to just under 7 M! Now if I can just get a decent connection...

Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Awesome!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yeah, it was slick! Thank you so much!!

I still can't upload it, though. My connection usually lasts for just long enough to upload the music...which is only half as long as I need to upload the slides! I'm thinking I'll put it on a flash drive and have hubby upload it from work.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:19 AM
-

I hope it works so you won't have to go through the hassle of mailing to me.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a moot point. Mailed it yesterday! You see how much faith I have in my connection!

Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
-

Let's hope it doesn't take as long to get here this time.