Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 13th, 2005, 11:40 PM

Angry on going sick lab any comments please

Hello EVERYONE I have a 11 year old black lab her name is dutchy at age 6 and then 7 she had both legs operated on it was her knees giving out I have been giving her SynoviCre every day since those operations and has been do well on her legs, Now at the age 11 she has not been doing very well since last spring about april 2004 she had this bald wet spot on rump I took her to the vet and they said that it was a hot spot maybe caused from a bee sting They gave her a shot for it to dry up and antbiotics. It cleared up then three weeks went by and she had another spot on her rump again took her to the vet again they gave her a shot to stop the itching . they kept coming back
the vet said that it may be from fleas but I treated her with flea stuff He was not sure what the hot spots are coming from when winter came she still was itching I had put a small heater in her house to keep from getting cold as her coat was thin. I sprayed anti itch put on conditionar , went from straw to wood chips for bedding still itches as she puts her rump towards me and goes crazy wanting me to brush her but the bald spots have grown back she has awful dander and her fur falls out easy when I brush her. this itching has gone on for 10 months I took her back to the vet last week as she is losing waight and losing muscle The vet took a blood test and said that her kidneys were starting to go bad and possable thyroid I started her on the hills kd prescription diet and she hardly eats any of the dry but eats the canned and she vommits it up and dont seem to poop very much she ate the ol'roy canned mixed with dry beneful before but seemed to not eat a whole lot but pooped ok and did not vomit. Is her stomach not used to the food? Is it her kidneys causing the itching, Is there somthing else that I can feed her that is just as good as the hills kd that she would eat more of as she seems like she dont like this and she needs to gain weight When I walk her she digs through the snow and wants to eat the dead animal she finds but I take it away so she does HAVE an appitite why dont she eat that food I give her, She seems to eat a lot of snow to IS THIS A SIGNAL of somthing. The vet said he did not think that the itching was from a food allergy. The itching seems to be confined to her back rump and legs,I hope that the vet was not to late letting this itching and the losing weight go on and not taking a blood test until now She still wants to go for walks alot. but acts like she is not very well Sorry for this being so long but I did not want to skip details please any comments are wanted .
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:45 AM

I replied in the General Forum section to the same post...