Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 5th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Not-so-senior member

I am such a loser...

I took MooShu to the vet today, just to be safe...Our usual guy is only open for emergencies & in-patients on the weekends, and this certainly wasn't an emergency, but I wanted a professional opinion. So I brought her to this other guy that we saw once for vaccinations when we first moved here because he holds some open office hours on the weekend.

Moo's been a little pukey the last few days, but otherwise acting normally, looks fine etc...I started putting a 1gm fish oil cap in her food once a day beginning about 10 days ago, and I suspect it was irritating her stomach, so I stopped. Rommel's doing just fine with it, but I've read here and there that it just doesn't agree with some dogs (and people). Like I wrote, I just wanted a vet to take "a once over" and make sure she really isn't sick.

This vet comes walking into the exam room, reading the registration form that we filled out with age, breed, our personal info, and current complaint which we indicated was "vomited intermittently 3-4 times over the last few days," and without even glancing at her says, "Food allergy. Switch her to lamb & rice." I was flabbergasted and said, "Let me guess--Hill's?" I am not kidding, the dog was sitting on the floor on the other side of the exam table--he hadn't even made eye contact with her.

We had a very short discussion and only after prodding him and getting a little angry did he open up her mouth to look inside; assess her abdomen in any way, or check her temp. I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy. I left fully perturbed (sp?) and I can't even believe I paid for this 'service.' I feel like such a loser.

/rant

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:43 AM

Noooo! Don't feel like a loser. A loser would have bought the Hill's. You're wonderful for bringing your furry in just to be safe. It's not your fault that vet licences are easily 'earned'.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
-

Looser you NOT!Taking your pet asap at the vet is a good thing.The vet is the looser!How can he make a diagnostique without looking at the dog or ask any question?And since they probably overcharge you being on the week end...I would expect a better service for my money.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

You mean you actually PAID for this ?

Honestly, if it had happened to me, since I know my vets so well, I would have called the head vet the next day and complained. Did it before. But otherwise, I would definitely write a letter to the clinic manager ! You are paying for a service and you are entitled to much more than this !
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM
-

Inverness,I don't know if she paid for this but did you ever know a vet that didn't charge for consultation?If so where????Last year I had to go to a vet on a sunday for Daisy,they are all close expect for one in Brossard (I live on south shore) The visit ; $69.00 that's their "week end" price!Daisy only needed one stitches that she had taking out,took 5 minutes,no diagnostique was needed,just do the stitche and that's it;total of visit ; $150.00.They overcharge because they know we don't have a choice but to go there.Can't turn around and go elsewhere!And I find they were;wang bang thank you mam!
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I wouold probably have paid- just because well, he did use his time- what good it was (none would be my guess) - and alas, some university did grant him a DVM (but chances are he was at the bottom of the class with an "bedside manner" like the one he displayed. But I would complain and ask to be seen by someone else - at no cost for the frustration you experienced. That was no counsulation - it was not an insult!

And you are not a loser, a loser would not have cared enough to bring her dog to the vet to start with!! Call them tomorrow and ask to speak to the Clinic Director - and if he is it, still complain - and report him to the local or state vet. assn!
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Talking about vets, is anyone buying their dogs gulcosimine at the vet clinic?
I just a new bottle of gulcosimine for my IrishWolf Hound yesterday, it cost 100$!!! They changed suppliers and the price went up! When I saw the price, I almost told them to keep the bottle I will go elsewhere. I didn't know where else to go, since it was Saturday and Clyde needed his pills. Starting Monday, I am going to start shopping around for a better price.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Not-so-senior member

Well, this wasn't "our" vet, I would certainly question our committment to care for our animals properly if this were our regular choice of veterinary care. I live in the country and we are an hour or so from anything that would qualify as a clinic with more than one vet etc. What we have are single vets in practice for themselves, and that's all this guy is--a one man band. And a crappy one, at that. I think he is primarily large animal, doing "farm rounds" most of the time because he keeps open office hours for small animals 3 hours a day, where you just walk in for routine appts. Which is why I thought it would be a good bet on the weekend, just to make sure everything's on the up and up with her.

So whatever stink I raised while I was there will be the end of it, for me. There's no one to write letters to. And I was billed for a "1/2 visit"---$25 (US), which is really cheap--as was the service provided--but it's not about the money. Just the fact that my dog COULD have been sick, but based on walking past us in the waiting room once, he had decided she wasn't. There was absolutely no assessment performed before he concluded she had an allergy and I had to argue with him to get him to assess her at all. Didn't ask if she's passing stool, when she vomits, what she vomits, what her diet is, has she been exposed to anything she shouldn't eat.... I'm still just totally exasperated by the experience. What if she really were sick, and I brought her home thinking everything's okay?

Anyhow, our usual guy is just a one man band too, but he's reliable and I trust him. Moo is doing just fine now--three meals with no fish oil and no vomiting, but if I felt she needed to see someone, I wouldn't hesitate to call Dr Koch, high cost of the weekend or nor. At any rate, the next time we DO have to see him, I think I'll give him a big hug.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807

Last edited by shannonRN; February 5th, 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:41 AM

tell me please what is wrong with hills?? should they not sell it?
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hill's is very poor quality food, you'll want to check out the dog and cat food forum for advise on good quality foods as well as a full breakout of what makes Hill's so icky

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM

i dont know then, why the vets sell it to us?
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:22 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
Talking about vets, is anyone buying their dogs gulcosimine at the vet clinic?
I just a new bottle of gulcosimine for my IrishWolf Hound yesterday, it cost 100$!!! They changed suppliers and the price went up! When I saw the price, I almost told them to keep the bottle I will go elsewhere. I didn't know where else to go, since it was Saturday and Clyde needed his pills. Starting Monday, I am going to start shopping around for a better price.
A half "Thread-Jack" ( following by a full gainor I promise - You can buy Glucosamine + Chondroitin + MSM in your drug store or health food store for FAR FAR less than that Poodletalk.

And now for the promised full-gainor: the vet is paid one way or another either via a straight commission or a receipt of the mark-up difference or via free samples for all sales. Much like MD's receive gifts and free samples from drug companies when they are courted by the big pharmaceutical companies who are pimping - oops I mean "promoting" their drugs.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM

shannonRN: Sorry you got such poor service form your vet. Thankfully, as you said, nothing was seriously as this is total negligence on his part IMO.

I have a similar experience with a former vet we used to see. Bailey's breath was very bad (smelled like rotten fish ) and I was concerned as I had read this could be a symptom of a larger problem.

So I take him in to the exam room and explain to the vet what the problem is and she says she can't smell anything because her last patient was a cat and she's allergic

Then she says it's probably just tarter build-up and tries to sell my H*ll's brand food for tarter control

I was really mad also and that was the last time we were patients at that vet clinic so I totally feel for you.