Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Kennel wins lawsuit over web claims

Defendant must pay $14,000 on top of legal expenses and vet bills alone amounting to over $8,500 http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/2...dog-court.html
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I can't believe it. I have been following this for the last year.

The Canadian justice system has proven itself as being horribly incompetent over and over again, this shouldn't surprise me.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OMG, I can't believe it. I have been following this for the last year.
Yep , same here. The "accused" is someone I respects lots. Received the files by e-mail last week and had to ask her a few questions as I just couldn't understand !!!! I couldn't believe the outcome. It's just so freakin unfair !!!
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

UnF***ing believable!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

You said it 14+. How does someplace that is blatantly a puppy mill win against someone trying to do the right thing. Makes as much sense as our wonderful pit bull law.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That is just infreakin'credible! So how much more horrendous must the conditions be to actually qualify as a puppy mill?!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Owned by goldens

Kennel wins lawsuit...

I have been following this story also. It's hard to believe.
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I heard
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Owned by goldens

Kennel....

there was an article in today's Gazette.
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Did pets.ca have to remove all Lorie's posts? It said in the document that pets.ca was notified to remove her posts.

Our judicial system failed us again
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:51 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Online posts bite dog kennel

kennel bites back; Comments defamatory, judge rules

By CHERYL CORNACCHIA, The Gazette July 28, 2009

Beware of what you say online. It could come back to bite you.
An Ontario dog owner has been found guilty of slandering a commercial dog breeder based in Shawville with online comments about the poor health of a black Labrador retriever she bought from the family-run business three years earlier.

Lorie Gordon of Brockville, Ont., has been ordered to pay $10,000 in damages to James, Charlene and Nicole Labombard, the owners of the Paws R Us Kennel, as well as $4,000 in court costs.

The decision was rendered July 22 in Ottawa by Deputy Judge Michael Galligan of the Ontario Superior Court, Small Claims division.

Gordon said yesterday she will appeal the decision with the help of donations from animal rights advocates.

"Would I do it differently? No," she said. "I wrote they had sick dogs, which is true."

Galligan ruled the comments Gordon posted between July 2004 and April 2005 at www.pets.ca and another website popular with pet owners were defamatory.

The Ontario court decision is among only a handful to wade into the largely unregulated waters of the Internet.

In Quebec, a Superior Court judge ruled this month that Rawdon town officials acted appropriately when they shut down a website to stop anonymous users from posting derogatory comments about the mayor and police chief.

In the Ontario case, Galligan wrote that Gordon's comments were all the more damaging because "the Internet is instantaneous, seamless, interactive, blunt, borderless and far-reaching."

Luc Barrick, the Ottawa lawyer representing the Labombards, said the family was happy with the decision.

Testimony put forward by Gordon and several other witnesses, including representatives from Montreal's SPCA, attempted to portray Paws R Us as a puppy mill, he said.

"They are trying to say a commercial breeder is a puppy mill and they are not," Barrick said. "There are puppy mills out there, but my client is not one of them."

Marko Kulik, one of the owners of Montreal-based pets.ca, said he was shocked by the decision.

"I feel bad for her," Kulik said. "I don't know if she was right or wrong, but all she wanted to do was to prevent others from having the same experience."

Gordon's posts about the two dogs she got from Paws R Us - a black Labrador retriever that had to be put down because of severe hip dysplasia and a dog that was diagnosed with epilepsy - generated hundreds of comments on pets.ca before they were removed, he said.

ccornacchia@thegazette.canwest.com

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...199/story.html

I agree with one of the comments that was made in the Gazette ... if this breeding facility disagreed with the statements made they should have gone on the forum and given their arguments.

I believe because they are registered they used an "ace" card claiming loss of business. Had this judge rendered in favour of the accused ... heck would hit the fan with all other *ok let's call them* breeding facilities incl meat fur dairy factories which are all very cruel to the animals but for them their not pets it's "business"

This was political on every level.
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:47 PM

There are many, many people who cannot understand the judge's decision in this case, but more than words, Lorie needs our financial suport in order to appeal. Please consider helping in any way you can by contacting her lawyer, Terry Green at Green and Vespry Lawyers in Ottawa. She needs our support - it has been a long, drawn-out, process and we cannot just accept this ruling without taking it to the end. Please help Lorie in her ongoing fight to bring justice to puppy mill dogs.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:15 AM

Talking

I hope that woman from Brockville knows that they got what was coming to them. http://www.globalnational.com/second...193/story.html It's so sad that for years this kennel was able to exist and the authorities not only turned a blind eye but supported them by allowing this judgement against a concerned party. I hope this makes her feel a little better. They have been shut down and will have to face charges.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM

This thread scared me, I thought it was saying that the kennel won a lawsuit to get the dogs back.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

she knows
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Kitty pimp

wow they ruled for the puppy mill and then shut themm down?

lol well thats a good grounds for an appeal
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

What ever came of her appeal?

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

as far as I know its still in the courts, according to an article I read
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Ah, ok. Hopefully this latest news will help to sway the appeal in her favor

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM

I hope the bust is taken into consideration during the appeal. You don't get better then that to substantiate claims of them being a puppy mill when multiple credible organizations refer to them as just that.

Does any one know if there is a way to send Lorie financial support for the case?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Great question, Choochi. That's most definitely a cause I would support

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM

Appeal

Yes the appeal is coming very soon, stay tuned for more news.

Last edited by Told You So; February 7th, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe now justice will be served and they will be paying the accused what she deserves. She will never get back what she has gone through in heartache and suffering. They harassed her when they knew damn well what they were a puppy mill. And to say she was slandering them she was speaking the truth. Pets.ca took all her posts down maybe they can restore them now and let everyone know how despicable this mill was. I hope they rot in he$$. Karma has come back to bite them in the a$$ and well deserved.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Maybe now justice will be served and they will be paying the accused what she deserves. She will never get back what she has gone through in heartache and suffering. They harassed her when they knew damn well what they were a puppy mill. And to say she was slandering them she was speaking the truth. Pets.ca took all her posts down maybe they can restore them now and let everyone know how despicable this mill was. I hope they rot in he$$. Karma has come back to bite them in the a$$ and well deserved.
Karma sure did come back to bite them, are you aware James Labombard (Charlene's husband) died Dec 10th? Yes posts were all removed seems everyone was afraid of being sued, goodthing some people have balls to stand up and not hide!
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Told You So View Post
Karma sure did come back to bite them, are you aware James Labombard (Charlene's husband) died Dec 10th? Yes posts were all removed seems everyone was afraid of being sued, goodthing some people have balls to stand up and not hide!
Yes, it is a good thing, otherwise things would never change. Putting your head in the sand or turning your back to a worthy cause just so you won't cause and ripples in the pond is just cowardly. In my books anyways.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

That is exactly why they were removed. Gee too bad about her husband I'm sure the gates of hell are wide open and awaiting her arrival
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post

That is exactly why they were removed. Gee too bad about her husband I'm sure the gates of hell are wide open and awaiting her arrival
I agree that is the reason they were removed and Lorie was banned, I'm glad some people use their voice, clearly it was needed in this case. RIP to all the dogs that were born in that barn and died at a young age.
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Lorie is a determined,strong,brave,very compassionate woman and I admire here immensly and I believe this case will hopefully help eradicate the scum who tortures dogs in Puppy-Mills!
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Lorie is a determined,strong,brave,very compassionate woman and I admire here immensly and I believe this case will hopefully help eradicate the scum who tortures dogs in Puppy-Mills!

I remember when Lorie was here and all that she was going through and never doubted a word of her story. I agree I hope this will help to put these scum out of business. It is kind of hard to ignore it and I don't think people will let it be forgotten. I pray not, too many die at the millers hand.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Lorie is one of the gustiest people I know. She has heart, drive and keeps on ticking (bless her heart).
She spoke the truth, took the hits and will never back down regardless. The woman is a great example of courage.