Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Baby Horton's Outcome

I felt like I should post a new thread.

When I went to the Vet this morning, we got no good news, not even a glimmer of hope. They had moved Horton's meds up to three times a day yesterday and since then he has had 7 seizures (in about 12hrs). The Drs want to keep him over the weekend because the seizures have become more violent and he seems to have lost his vision again. They told us today that they think it's time that we let him pass over. With the increase in meds and the seizures getting worse, they don't have any hope for him getting better.

He seized twice while I was there at the Vets. We are just beside ourselves...he's so little and defenseless. WE love him so much...but I know the Drs do too and they wouldn't give up hope of recovery unless they felt sure of it. They are supposed to call with an update later today and unless he gets worse over the weekend we don't have to make the call until Monday.

Please just pray that little Horton is comfortable and not in a lot of pain.
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
-

I am so sorry :sad: all these efforts and no better news . :sad:
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, Adriann, I'm so sorry things seem to be sliding downhill for little Horton. No matter what the outcome is, you gave the little fella the very best present he could ever have--your love.

I'm still praying for a Christmas miracle for Horton!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Adriann, I am so sorry to hear that baby Horton has taken a turn for the worse. I hope your Vet can make a miracle happen this weekend, Horton is such a little fighter. During his short time with you, he has seen and felt the love you have for him.

I pray that he is not in any pain and that on Monday you will be strong

for a quiet weekend for Horton

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Remembering Lukka

Well this is certainly not the outcome I was looking for when I logged in.
How heartbreaking.
Pray little Horton is not in any pain
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Adriann, I'm so sorry for the heartbreaking outcome :sad:

Lots of prayers and for you, Judd, and little Horton
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
-

I'm so sorry to hear about the little guy and will keep him in my thoughts.
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Adriann I am so sorry !! I've been following Horton's story and this is breaking my heart. I'm sure you must be beside yourself with worry and grief. You've been a great mommy to Horton and you both deserve him to get well.

I'm still praying for that Christmas miracle and that Horton has such a growth spurt this weekend that he grows right out of the seizures.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers !!
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear little Horton is not getting better :sad: I will keep him in our prayers

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,Adriann,I don't know what to say,it's just so sad for that poor little baby and you and Judd of course.
I'm hoping beyond hope that he will improve
But I agree,keeping him having one seizure after the other,is just not the right thing for little Horton:sad:
I know how you must feel,but if it comes down to giving him relief,you know you could not have loved him more the short time he was with you.
I still hope for a better outcome
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm sorry you're all going through such a difficult time . Keep strong.
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
-

OH NO

I am never any good with putting my thoughts into words but I sure agree with what chico2 said.

And, hoping for a miracle as well.
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Baby Horton's Outcome

So sorry it wasn't better news.
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this news, Adriann. I've been following your story, too and have been keeping you, Judd and little Horton in my thoughts. I know how hard it is to have to make the decision to let a furbaby go and if it comes to that, remember that you did more for him than most anyone else would have and take comfort in the fact that you fought so hard for him.
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You have done all you can do. Lots more than most people would. Please know that and don't feel guilty about having to make any decisions. My thoughts are with you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You have my prayers for Horton's healthy recovery, if we need a miracle then that is what I will pray for.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:34 AM

I am so sorry that Horton is so ill and has a grim prognosis. Even though he hasn't been with your family for a long time, I'm sure he has worked his way into your heart. I recently lost a little dog that I loved with all my heart. Like you, we did everything. But, when her doctors told us we could do no more, we gave her our final gift and helped her go. I hope you will have a miracle with sweet Horton, but if that is not to be, know that he has felt your love. We never have enough time with them.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Live well, laugh often

I'm so sorry to hear the prognosis for Horton :sad:. I also hold out hope for a little miracle for you and your family but want to also send out my admiration for how much love you have shown this little guy in his short life. I believe you were both very lucky to have found each other .

Old December 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad: i am so sorry Horton is so sick...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I am so sorry, my thoughts and prayers are with you Judd and little Horton as they have been since the begining of your thread.
I too will keep hoping for a miracle.
Bless you both for everything you have done for Horton, you, Judd and the vets who have been working so much for him are all angels.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Update

He hasn't had a seizure since late Saturday. But, the Vet said he's "drugged" so much all he does is sleep. Judd and I are having a hard time making the call and the Vet said we should take it day by day and if we have another day like Saturday, just make the call then. We are gonna spend the night with him and go from there.

We are so afraid to rob Horton of the chance of recovery.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh Adriann, no one could do more for Horton than you and Judd have. You have definitely been his angels.

Do take it day by day and know that whatever happens from here you Judd and Baby Horton have touched so many lives and you don't have to judge yourselves too harshly. You have, are, and will give him every chance at recovery and and great life. If there is no quality of life for him or for you...
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am so sorry you are going through this with Horton. It will be a hard decision to make if it needs making. My heart goes out to you.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the quality of life scale to you or not. It may be helpful in making your decision. Sometimes we have to decide through the eyes of our pet, not through the eyes of love. It sucks but it is the only fair thing to do. You will stay in my prayers (such as they are).

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...ife-scale.aspx

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I havent commented before, but I have followed this thread and the previous one. I just wanted to send my and .

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Adriann,I very slowly started to read this post,worried what I was going to read.
I believe was Horton a mature dog,the seizures could be managed,the main problem is his age,size and probably his start in life.
It could be,keeping him resting is a good thing,but who knows:sad:
I can sooo understand your heartbreak and your indecision,he is such a beautiful little pup.
There are so many what if's:sad:
I wonder if your vets ever dealt with seizures in such a young pup?
Don't get me wrong,I think you have what seems really wonderful supportive vets.
You know that whatever happens all of us here are 100% behind you and Judd,but still hoping for a miracle for little baby Horton
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I've been following little Horton's story here from the start and I just wanted to say I believe you've loved that little one with all your hearts and whatever decision you make I know it will be with his best interests in mind

One more day is special. Thinking and praying for a good day today
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Update

We brought Horton home...we are just heart-broken. He's lost weight, he won't go poddy, he won't eat. He won't get up. When I look in his eyes, I can tell he has given up.

We have decided to let him cross over. This is misery for him, he wants to get up and play, but he can't...he's to "high".

We don't want to believe it, but we think the fight is over. I don't think his little body has any fight left in it.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Remembering Lukka

I'm so sorry that Horton hasn't had any relief from the seizures. What a heartbreak.
Adriann, letting go is a hard thing to do for sure, I would love to hear that things were different for him, but you have realized that his quality of life is very compromised by his condition and as much as you and Judd love him.......well......you just know when the time comes to say goodbye.
My Lukka passed in August and if there is one thing on this earth that she loved it was a puppy. She will be there waiting for little Horton if that is the path you take, she will love him and comfort him until you reunite.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Adriann, I was so afraid to open this thread today.....I am so sorry that baby Horton hasn't improved....

If you do decide to help him cross over to the Bridge, know that you have done everything possible to help him and your final act of love and kindness is to let him go and be a puppy again with all those at the Bridge, who will look after him. Look at his quality of life, listen to your Vet, go with your heart.

I am still praying for a miracle, only you will know when it is the time...or if it is the time...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
I'm so sorry that Horton hasn't had any relief from the seizures. What a heartbreak.
Adriann, letting go is a hard thing to do for sure, I would love to hear that things were different for him, but you have realized that his quality of life is very compromised by his condition and as much as you and Judd love him.......well......you just know when the time comes to say goodbye.
My Lukka passed in August and if there is one thing on this earth that she loved it was a puppy. She will be there waiting for little Horton if that is the path you take, she will love him and comfort him until you reunite.
Thank you Lukka'sma! Thank you everyone! What you said does help! At least if we let him go, I like to think he'll be able to run and play and be a normal puppy.