Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 25th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Urgent Question about adoption / selling fee

Urgent Question:
We were looking at adopting or rescuing an older puppy or dog and came across one we love. There is more detail to the situation, but bascially I want to know what one would expect to pay for a Great Dane, 11 months old, neutered, purebred and registered. She needs a new home as the parents are seperating and cannot keep her. They want $1000 for her, with crate and food bowl. Is this reasonable? We ourselves tend to think it is more important to find a good home than to "sell" the dog. This owner wants to sell her for as close to $1000 as he can!!! (Our budget was about $200 for a shelter adoption). I just want to know if he is being resonable.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I SAY HELL NO THAT IS NOT REASONABLE,NO WAY.......................The guy seems to be wanting to make a profit,when i was trying to re home my dog,all that mattered was a good home,not money................
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I think he would like to recoup some of the costs that has incurred. This will definately deter those that just want a dog. Wondered how much he paid to get him?
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

This is average but a rescue will charge between 200-500. Why would someone who is trying to find a home for their dog ask such a ridiculous price. You could almost buy a pup from a breeder. There are a lot of danes in rescue and shelters. If you are interested because this sounds like he is more concerned about the money than the dog. Which is unfortunate but it really doesnt surprise me. Because if they are giving up the dog because they are splitting up that is a feeble excuse. I hope they dont have kids it will be really hard to rehome them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

That's an owner selling a dog - not an adoption.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

That is horrible,iwould go to a shelter,I am still in shock of what i saw this weekend there....Go save one.........
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:55 PM

selling her

Thanks for your input. When I met with him, he did eventually say that he was looking to sell the dog, but made a mistake by putting her on petfinder. We actually have her right now, we took her for the weekend (as he was going away and needed to find a home asap), and he knew that the fee was too high for us, that we were thinking of about $200 for a shelter dog. But, he let us take her anyway to see if she was a good fit (we have cats and 2 kids), and we would talk mopney after. Well, we love her, have had her for 4 days, the kids love her, but he is stuck on his price of $1000, he may take $800!!!! So, based on budget and the principal of not selling a pet / member of the family, we cannot keep her. Never mind the fact that our kids are close in age to his and we love her...
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well maybe he will find it in his heart to be more concerned with his dog finding a good home where he will be loved as opposed to getting back money he has already spent. Good luck
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:03 PM
<-----nut ball

He probably spent a lot of money on a purebred and doesn't want to lose his investment. Maybe ask him about the breeder, and contact them. They may not approve of him selling off the Dane if he's purebred. They may want him back.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Thats a great idea Raingirl. I know a lot of respectable breeders put a "first right of refusal" into their contracts. With Sheriff for example, if we were ever going to "get rid of him" (yeah like that would EVER happen, only over Hubby and my dead bodies) we have in our contract that we must call the breeder first. They have the right to buy back the dog, or find someone of their choosing to buy back the dog. They also have the right to "confiscate" Sheriff if we do not meet all contractual obligations. Which would mean if they found out we were trying to sell Sheriff, or if they found out Sheriff went to a pound etc... they would have the right to seize Sheriff, and ownership would resort to them.... (also if they found him tied up outside, abused, neglected etc... same would apply)
SO I would stronly suggest you find/call the breeder.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM

$400

He just emailed to say we could have her for $400!!!!!!! He has a heart....I only have $200 but I will find the other $200!!
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Peach,
although Great danes usually cost about $1000 from a breeder, where I come from, They owneres shoudn't be asking that price, if they really want a good home for her. My mom managed to adopt a 4 or 5 year old male for only $50.

I would go to a shelter, and get a dog there. If yoou are really set on having a dane, and you can't find one at a shelter, see if you can be put on a waitng list for one, and then they can call you when one comes in. The larger the breed, the easier it MAY be to find one, from what I noticed. Most people coming to a shelter, want smaller dogs, not one that weighs nearly 200 pounds, and eats $60 worth of food each month.

And I do recommend looking for a dane at a shleter, they are the sweetest things on earth. They aren't as scary as they seem, with their size. They are very gentle creatures.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Any reputable breeder insists on getting any dogs back if the new owners cannot keep them.

Peach, I'm glad you're taking this baby to give her a good home. And I hope this person has learned a lesson - pets are not "investments" or something you get on a whim to complete some image of the perfect home then dump when it's not convenient. No one is going to pay 1000$ for a neutered pet quality dog! This guy wants people to pay for stuff he bought for his dog - don't think so!

Please post pics asap.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Peach,
$400 is still a bit spendy, for an adoption fee, but it is ALOT better than $1000, and could be well worth it if you are getting a dog that is really sweet, and a crate and things like that. The crate alone must cost $100, ours did and it is for a lab.

Good luck getting your new family member.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well if he was a rescue that is about what you would pay so maybe he will let you pay the other 200 in a couple of weeks. I hope it all works out. We will be expecting pictures asap.
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish breeders would insist on taking the dogs back, and actually do it. Very few do, regardless of what is in their contract.

They actually wouldn't have the right to seize a dog from a shelter BTW, depending on what their contract says they could go after the owner that dumped the dog but the shelter would not be bound by a contract the seller had with the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffmom
Thats a great idea Raingirl. I know a lot of respectable breeders put a "first right of refusal" into their contracts. They have the right to buy back the dog, or find someone of their choosing to buy back the dog. They also have the right to "confiscate" Sheriff if we do not meet all contractual obligations. Which would mean if they found out we were trying to sell Sheriff, or if they found out Sheriff went to a pound etc... they would have the right to seize Sheriff, and ownership would resort to them.
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Sorry LL1 I didn't mean they could seize a dog from the pound. I meant if they found out the dog had been picked up by the pound and then returned to us (as in he "escaped", got lost etc...) not saying they would. But if we didnt have a good reason for why he ended up in a shelter, they could according to contract seize him from us.
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Kitty Mum

Peach -

I am so happy for you! I love Great Danes! They are beautiful creatures. I plan on getting one within a few years when I have more financial stability and a home with a yard. Although, that yard would be for relaxing and basking in warmer weather. Danes are known for being couch potatoes - so they are most definitely house dogs

You absolutely MUST post pictures if you can!

Good luck and much love to you and the new fur member of your family :love:
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I am very happy for you and your new dog.... .especially given that the dog stayed with your family for 4 days already.

Great news and welcome to the board.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter