Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Crafts

Old April 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

My first little project.

I went looking for a scrapbook. I have never done scrapbooking and I wanted to start making something cute for the gang. There's an arts & crafts place near me and I wanted to see if they had some nice inexpensive scrapbooks.

I saw a really nice one, lime green and it was $11.99. I walked around for a while and then I came upon another area that had some Disney and Barbie stuff. I found a Barbie scrapbook for $6.99. Ack! I loved it! But, I had to adapt it for not just the girls but the boys.

So, here is what it looked like before I started.

And this is whats it looks like now.

I took a black and white sheet from the foam 14+ sent me and I covered the barbie sillouettes. Then I added these pre-made little foam kitties! I had to put the big pink one together, but I think the glue I used isn't right for this. I have to wait to see if the foam is still slipping and sliding. when I bought it it said it's good for any surface, but I may have to start all over.

I still have to do a strip to cover the back, but I think so far I'm very pleased.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Funny! I see the box I sent the stuff down to you holding your new scrapbook!! Even part of my addy.
I love what you've done to make the scrapbook personal for the kitties! Great start!! The fun foam is actually very easy to work with and make neat things. Great!! Keep on going now!!!
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no As you can see, the box is serving as my craft table.

The foam is great. I found my X-acto knife and it was really helpful with scoring the foam so I can get a good cut. I found some pictures I can use as a start, so hopefully the cover will be properly dried and I can put the plastic cover on and start working on some pages.

I'm going to have to look at some better glue. Something with more precision and that dries faster.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
You can call me DOG!

I LOVE what you did the book ancientgirl Kitties & fish, way too cute

It's amazing what a little bit of thought and creativity can do

Are you a south too?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
I LOVE what you did the book ancientgirl Kitties & fish, way too cute

It's amazing what a little bit of thought and creativity can do

Are you a south too?
Thanks! It was so inexpensive, I had to make it work. I knew I'd be able to use some of the foam to alter it a bit. Those little kitty cut outs did the job nicely too. I have to do the back tomorrow, and start on a page or two.

I'm a righty. The cat seemed to work better at that angle.

Old April 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You can call me DOG!

I did one scrap book so far myself. It was addicting

It turned out very nice but it was alot of work. Overall, the album is pleasing to look at.

Good luck righty

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I can see how it can be addicting. There were so many neat things to do the pages with.

Old April 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

!

AG you should check out a dollar store if you have one close by! they have tons of stuff for scrapbooking. As for the glue...have you ever seen those white out correctors? well they have the same thing and its 2 sided tape! I hardly ever use glue now! they hace those scissors that cut out edges, and even punches for holes, oh and stamps...like ink stamps! cool stuff!

I even save my old greeting cards and cut stuff out of them for scrapbooking!!

I love the cover! it looks great! you could make a scrapbook for each kitty and go from the time you got them till now!

Cant wait to see the final project!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

Winstons right--the 2 sided tape thing works great

What I did is I bought a pack of greeting card stock paper (really cheap) and made up little sayings on a word document in different color fonts. I printed out the page then cut out each title, announcement, etc. individually and 2 sided taped it below or around the picture.

The bonus with the card stock paper is that you can get a pack of like 100 sheets really cheap any only have to use a couple. This will make for more scrap booking projects not to mention a nice card

Old April 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

AG, that's soooo cute!!! Good job! That kitty is just the cat's meow...

The gang is going to love having their own scrapbook!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

OMG!

Thx for getting me thinking of pulling my supplies out again

I used to be sooooooo into scrapbooking that I HAD to stop it or quit my job...money won! There are soooo many wonderful projects (yours is great btw ) that you can do with a little imagination and you will soon find yourself looking at EVERYTHING as potential scrapbook material...good luck!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying this!

Winston, the dollar store I had near me closed a few months ago, so I'll have to do a search to see if there are any close to me I haven't seen. I'll have to do some investigating!

I did manage to get some double-sided tape. I realized this morning I'd need some and thankfully the CVS across the street is open today.

I love the idea of a book for each cat. I saw some smaller scrapbooks at the store so I could do a small one for them once I'm done with the bigger one. I have to order a lot of pictures though.

I started the two pages I did today from some I had left over from an order I made on Shutterfly. But I really need more. I have so many photos of them, it'll take forever to weed through them all.

Anyhoo, here are a few more photos of what I did today.

Here's the back. I realized after I took the photo, the Barbie logo was still there, so I just took a purple jumping kitty and put it there.

Bah! can you tell I'm not very observant today? LOL. I was so excited about getting a picture I didn't realize I left a piece of the back of the foam kitty. Ignore please!

Last edited by ancientgirl; April 12th, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Two more close up.

I liked using those little foamies and jewel pieces.

And as you can see, I had a helper.

This is all fun and very exciting. I can't wait to get more pictures so I can keep doing pages. But right now I'm going to be slightly stalled. I can order some photo's this week so hopefully I'll get them by next weekend. I may have a few more photo's I can use.

I do like the idea of card stock, and buying greeting cards.

One question. The pages in the scrapbook are white and a heavy stock paper. I took that page out and added the pages I did. Are you supposed to leave that page in, as sort of support? Should I put it back in, between the two pages?

Old April 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

You all would just die if you could look out my living room window. I live right across the street from a scrapbook shop!

I haven't been in it yet - I am sure I would go broke in a minute.
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Its up to you AG what you want to do! I leave the harder paper and stick mine on it..like you said it makes it sturdyer! )sp???_

If you dont want to order photos what I did was I new where I could use a color printer and I printed mine out on the card stock! Great way to make your own greeting cards! Tons of free downloads off the net for cards too! It can get expensive printing them on a printer too because of the color cartridges!

I love what you have done so far! I made memory book of my Dad after he passed and its a great way to go back and cheeer myself up! Its an awesome way to show someone you care and they make great Christmas presents too!

Keep it coming I love it so far! Nices pics of the gang and little miss kiska!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That looks wonderful!!! Looks like you are having a marvelous time playing.
I was going to mention what Winston did. If you have a printer it may be cheaper for you to print out just the pics you want to use. I know you can get Kodak photo paper fairly cheaply. Of course colour ink isn't cheap. I print the pics I use for woodburning. Other than that they are all stored on my comp.
Love the little foam animals and jewels too! Great job! Glad you are enjoying yourself!
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a color printer, but it's been ages since I have added ink to it, because it's just so expensive. I'll have to see which is less expensive, to buy ink and print my own pictures, or just order them online.

I'm really enjoying this. I managed to also find a really good large board to use as a good flat surface. I hadn't realized I could use the pullout cutting board that was inside the litter cabinet my friends hubby gave me. It's perfect. I can even use it to put my laptop on. I don't know why I never thought of this before.

But I can't wait to keep going. The little foam things are wonderful. I can probably even use some cookie cutters to make more cut outs too, and I can probably buy some good markers to make my own little designs on them. The possibilities are endless!

Old April 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow, great job, AG . I think you improved the cover by putting on the kitties and fishes

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL thanks! I really liked the pink and black dots, and the abstract frame. Of course, I couldn't pass up the price. I'm glad I was able to make it work. Next time I'll look for clearance stuff, and maybe I can also alter them.

Old April 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
You all would just die if you could look out my living room window. I live right across the street from a scrapbook shop!

I haven't been in it yet - I am sure I would go broke in a minute.
I believe it. I never really used to stop off at the scrapbook section at the craft store, because I never really understood what all went into it. But holy cow! There are so many neat things!

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I have a color printer, but it's been ages since I have added ink to it, because it's just so expensive. I'll have to see which is less expensive, to buy ink and print my own pictures, or just order them online.
I tried ordering out, printing my own, and ordering from Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart won paws down--if I print more than 100, I can get them for 15 cents apiece within the hour. It costs me about 20 cents if I do them here, more if I ordered on line if you factor in postage plus it takes longer.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I looked at Shutterfly. If I get 4x6, I can get them for 15cents a piece. 5x7 are 99cents. I downloaded some photo's on to my shutterfly account. I can always order two different sizes which I think might make things more interesting.

I also could other pictures on a CD and print them at CVS or Target.

I'm not even sure my color printer will still even work. I haven't used it in over 4 years.

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
-

AG, I love the job you are doing.

This is something that I've never done. I should have started this years ago as I know I would have really enjoyed it but now I have absolutely no patience.
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Probably your inkjets are all clogged up, AG. Seems like you have to use them every day or they need cleaning. After 4 years, they probably need professional cleaning.

Does shutterfly charge shipping and handling, too?

I really like what you've done so far! Really cute!! Can't wait to see the finished books!

And the picture of Kiska in the basket is just too cute...

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow, I don't have much patience either, but I find it fun just playing with the photo's and all the other stuff. It's hard though not to over embellish. I found myself holding back on putting too much stuff on it.

Hazel, at this point, it may just be better for me to just get a new printer. I have two printers and both are 4 in ones. Except one is B&W and the one in question is the color. This one cost me $100 about 6 years ago, and it might cost me that much to fix it, knowing how much these computer places charge for simple things.

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I have an HP Deskjet 3940 that I got from Wal-Mart for $49...it prints in colour and does a wonderful job printing pics on photo paper (pretty fast too)...I use Epson photo paper that I sometimes actually find at the dollar store (Dollar Giant). I know mine is about a year old and they have a newer model now, but sometimes the cheap printers are the best. Wal-Mart also sells a two pack of ink for this one at $35 (1 of each colour and b&w in the pack)

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep seeing these commercials for this Kodak printer. I might have to look into that. It looks like cost wise, it might be a good idea. But yeah, you can get a pretty decent printer now for less than $100. It's the ink that kills you.

Old April 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Senior Contributor

AG, the scrapbook looks great!
I keep seeing awesome scrapbook stuff at Costco and keep thinking I should try doing one, but right now my canvas is my house, so perhaps one day when I'm not painting and installing floors and fixing plumbing and doing baseboards and crown I'll give one a shot. Your's is inspiring!
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks!

I'm realizing there are many things I can use for these projects. A friend of mine said to just look around in all the boxes I still have unpacked. She's right. I have things I can probably use, and I save a lot of my cards, so I can use some of those too.

It sounds like you do have a lot on your plate, but I found doing this really relaxing! Maybe you can start with a small one, and do it as a sort of a way to wind down after a busy day of home improvement!

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

AG, how talented you are! I love how you have changed the covers, I am artistically challenged and Love to see what others can do. pbp