Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old October 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Found homes for two of the kittens!

So a little update on the homes I am trying to find for the kittens and the Mama (she is a barn cat that keeps having her babies in my friend's yard).

I found homes for 2 of the kittens so far. A 9 week old female has been delivered last night and the 6 month old is being delivered on the weekend!

So 2 males left
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo , now if only you can deliver momma to a vet who would spay her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM

I am working on it!! The contact Frenchy gave me did not call back - maybe a language thing?? I dunno. But the girl that is taking the 6 month old was telling the vet she is going to use about the Mama and he gave her a # of someone that might be able to help us.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Great news Karen C - welcome to the world of 'rescue'.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I am getting help from Gerdy's Rescue for the Mama cat!!

Man you must all feel so great when you are able to help! I am on top of the world right now!
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

This is how it all gets started. Karen C - you are now hooked! Big huge hugs and a huge thank you to you and Gerdy's Rescue - they are amazing!

Last edited by BenMax; October 29th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Kitty pimp

good work
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Good job!

Rescue is very addictive !!!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Fantastic work!!!! I do believe the rescue bug has got you........ hook, line and sinker!
GREAT WORK!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM

I am taking Shakey the Mama cat into one of the vets that works with Gerdy's Rescue on Saturday morning. She will have a full exam and we will have the vet decide if it is safe enough at this point to abort (if she is pregnant..we think she is but Gerdy mentioned it could be milk?? I don't think so as she is pretty big again) If she is too far along and it is not safe for Shakey to abort then we have another problem... what do with her for the next few months until she has her kittens and weans them.

So here is what I am thinking..please tell me if I am going about this the wrong way.

The friend of mine where the Mama cat is right now..her husband REFUSES to let her bring the Mama in while she recovers from her spaying. His father was a farmer and in their home growing up all animals were either outside or in the barn. Well they don’t have a freaking barn. He is being a real jerk off at the moment. I am guessing that once Shakey sees the vet she will be too far along to be aborted (just my gut feeling) so I don’t want her to be having these babies in the cold outside. I am going to ask around to see if anyone I know would be willing to keep her until she has the babies but I am thinking that is going to be HARD.

I don’t think my home would be an ideal environment to have her babies either (IF I could even convince my husband to let her in..I would probably have to bribe him with a golf club or something..). We have two big very active young dogs, 3 cats and 2 young children. I would think that would be too much activity in a home for her to be comfortable delivering her babies in. However we do have an unfinished basement that is heated and very big. Would it be mean to have her down there where she would be comfortable and detached from all the hustle and bustle of my home? I could go down and spend time with her and make her a nice warm comfortable spot to have her babies.

I am new to all this – I just want to do the right thing and make her comfortable if she does have to have these babies.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

KarenC - was there a commitment made by anyone that the cat will be able to recover at someone's house? Gerdy should be made aware of any changes. If she is covering the financial costs or getting someone a 'preferred' rate - then she should really know what is happening. Also, will this cat be under Gerdy's Rescue?
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Gerdy told me that she could help out but she would not be able to take Shakey in or foster her. As it stood we committed to keeping her in for 10 days after spaying. She asked me once she was spayed and recovered what the plan was and I told her we were not sure but we were thinking (hoping) of her remaining disappeared (and try and find her a home if we could) she thought this was a good idea. If she is pregnant then she asked me would we keep her until she had her babies and had weaned them and I told her we would do our best to find someone to take her in (at that point I was really hoping my friend’s husband would at least allow her to be their home temporarily).So the worse case scenario it would be her in my unfinished (but warm and dry) basement. I asked Gerdy how much this would all cost and she said “Oh just give us a donation”. My friend that took in the first kitten had already offered to pay for half of Shakey’s spaying so I will ask her to help me with a donation instead and I will also come up with some money on my own as well to give her the best possible donation we can come up with.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Gerdy is a good lady and this rescue really is one of the best. Ok - let me know what happens. I hope that she is not pregnant or not so far along. I am certain that something can be worked out.
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Karen - you are doing everything right. Great job! Has anyone talked to Shakey's "owner"? It doesn't sound like they have the right to claim her anyway the way she is treated.
As for where she could potentially be having her babies (let's pray she isn't pregnant)....... consider the alternative. You are worried about her having them in your warm, dry basement. Before you and your friend stepped in... she would have been out in the elements trying to find the best possible place which probably at this time of the year still wouldn't have been warm enough. Her babies would have had zilch of a chance of survival. Maybe she wouldn't have much of a chance either. Don't feel guilty about your basement. To her it would be heaven.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Karen - you are doing everything right. Great job! Has anyone talked to Shakey's "owner"? It doesn't sound like they have the right to claim her anyway the way she is treated.
As for where she could potentially be having her babies (let's pray she isn't pregnant)....... consider the alternative. You are worried about her having them in your warm, dry basement. Before you and your friend stepped in... she would have been out in the elements trying to find the best possible place which probably at this time of the year still wouldn't have been warm enough. Her babies would have had zilch of a chance of survival. Maybe she wouldn't have much of a chance either. Don't feel guilty about your basement. To her it would be heaven.
Oh so true 14+kitties. At this point anywhere that has hope is good enough for her. Poor soul. And thank you Karen for stepping up...again.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM

The owner basically told them the last year to mind their own business (in other words of course). So they have not bothered to go back. My french is not good enough to give him a piece of my mind.

I was just worried taking out of her "normal" (sad but normal) environment..that maybe I would cause more stress for her. I would not want to do that to her after everything she has already been through. I am still going to try and find her somewhere better but as I mentioned that will be the worse case scenario.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. I am praying she is not pregnant or not too far along but if that is not the case I am happy to know I have somewhere to come to ask questions!
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

I wouldn't be worried about stressing her. I would think she would be more stressed having to find a "safe" place outside to have the babies (if she's pregnant). That's pretty stressful. And then three days after she has them she will try moving them again so that's another stress period for her. Being in your basement would be the best thing for her. She will still move them from one spot to another on day three but it's all good. That's just what cats do.

Old November 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM

A little update.

Two of the kittens have officially gone to new homes. One last Tuesday and one on Saturday.

Shakey went to vet on Saturday and she is in excellent health. She is NOT pregnant according to the vet (she said unless she is JUST pregnant) but her mammary glands are very large. Shakey was awesome. She let me pick her up put her in the carrier did not freak out at all at the vet. She vaccinated her checked for fleas and mites (there was nothing at all!). I have someone that is interested in her but they just put down a cat so they say they are not ready I am hoping the change her mind at some point.

Vet said to wait about a month before we can spay her (let her milk dry up).
Sadly when we went to pick her and her 6 month old kitten up on Saturday I noticed one of the two month old kittens had an eye infection. I told the vet and they gave me some ointment for it as well as de-wormings for both Shakey and the kittens. I managed to catch both the kittens (they are a little more skittish than their Mama) and give the one the ointment and both of them their de-wormers.

My friend is having a hard time catching them to give the one the ointment somy plan was to bring them to our house for a few days so I could get the ointment on regularly. When I went yesterday to put the ointment on I noticed he was getting much worse. I called Gerdy and she made me an appt for today. She thinks it is Rhino. We agreed that I would bring them home but keep them away from all my pets so they would stay in the basement in a dog crate for the night. So I went back last night to get them and we could not find them I was out there until midnight. Shakey came out when I called but I am guessing the kittens had gone to find somewhere warm to sleep and could not hear me (or more likely did not care. LOL)

I am leaving work at 3:00 to go hunt them down and bring them both to the vet for 5:40. Keep your fingers crossed that they are not hiding! I am so worried about the sick one We nicknamed him Possum. \

I also might possibly have a home for the two of them together!! So if that works out it will be great! I just sent my friend all the details so I am hoping he gets back to me soon! He has to go out of town for a few days so I probably will not hear from him until the weekend. Wouldn't that be great all the kittens will have a home Now I just need to work on Mama.

Oh and I have started a virtual bake sale to raise money for the donation to Gerdy's I am selling scones to a bunch of friends (I have refused to give them my recipe for 5 years and I knew there was a reason!!LOL). I already have $40 in just one e-mail to a few friends! I have lots more e-mails to send out!
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Did anyone tell you that you are an . Thank you for stepping up KarenC. I will be at the clinic tonight - maybe I will see you there...
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I am going to the one in Vaudreuil-Dorion. I am guessing you will be at the one in St-Lambert? I was almost headed there if she could not get me an appt. at the Vaudreuil one.
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM

And thanks I feel so good about helping these poor babies..
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
150% PRO S/N

Way to go Karen! And Momma!!! Good to know she isn't pregnant.
The mammary glands will go down once she gets away from kittens. Good plan for using the dog crate. They work so well.
Good luck on getting homes for the kittens. You are doing great!!!!!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 4th, 2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
I am going to the one in Vaudreuil-Dorion. I am guessing you will be at the one in St-Lambert? I was almost headed there if she could not get me an appt. at the Vaudreuil one.
I guess I won't be seeing you then. I am going to St-Lambert! Anyways KarenC - you are great!
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM

So I managed to catch both the kitties without much difficulty today. The sick one (we are nicknaming Possum and his brother is Not-Possum LOL) looked a tad bit better but still pretty crusty eyes and nose.

I saw Dr. Scott Murphy (I think) in Dorion and he was great! He examined both and confirmed it was viral. Possum has like coldsores all over his tongue poor baby. Not-Possum had a few small ones. He gave me a broad spectrum antibiotic for both of them as well as something called Virasil I think? Powder to go on their food. As well as a few cans of some "recovery" soft food and a few cans of Science Diet A/D. I also still have the eye ointment for both of them. Neither of them were dehydrated and are doing well in the dog crate. I put a litter box in there as well and they are using it.

They were not happy to have the meds but once they got that food!! OMG they did not stop eating for at least 10 minutes. Possum was having a bit of a difficult time with the hard food (after he scarfed his soft food) but he still wanted to eat so I just put a bit of water on it to soften it a bit.

I made sure it was nice and toasty warm down there. They are not used to being handled so much but Possum was really purring last night. I am taking warm compresses to his eyes and nose to hopefully get rid of the crusty stuff.

My husband is home today and although he is not too pleased they are down there. LOL. I know he will go check on them a few times today too.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great KarenC. I can't say enough what a wonderful human being you are!
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Thank you Benmax- right back at ya!

Oooh and that was supposed to say yesterday in my first line. LOL
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Another wee update

The kittens are doing great! ( I have nicknamed them Crockett & Tubbs now! LOL).

Crockett (the sick one) is doing great! The ulcers are almost gone from his tongue and his eyes are not crusty anymore. He still sneezes from time to time but is doing sooo much better! He comes out as soon as I come in the room (I moved them to my daughters room on Friday). Tubbs is still nervous but once I pick him up he starts purring a way. The meds finish tomorrow night.

The best news of all is that I have a friend who is going to take both the boys together!! He is very excited! We agreed that I would keep them until the meds finish as they are used to me know.

I also gave them both baths on Friday night. (note to self for next rescue operation..dog crate, litter box and waterbowl = messy kitties. LOL). They were awesome!

Now on to finding a home for the Mama.

All 4 kittens are safe and sound for the winter. I am so very very very happy.

I am having a bake sale and selling Scones (english tea biscuit..sweet) to all my friends for $10 a dozen and all the proceeds will go to Gerdy's. So far I have about $100!! I am going to be a baking crazy lady!
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Congrats on the adoptions!! That is great you got them all adopted so fast!
Just a note for the future (cause I know you will foster again. ) Not a great idea to give kitties that are sick or recouping a bath. There are wipes out there now for cats and dogs that work almost as well. Kitties also very seldom need a bath. They do a great job of cleaning themselves.

And yep, I agree a waterbowl in with the kitty litter is very messy! Been there, done that. Now the water stays outside and they get their fill when they are out playing. You also know clumping litter and kitties are not a good combo. They tend to eat it and it swells in their belly causing blockages.