Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Question Dog won't eat

I have a 7 month old female Jack Russell Terrier. Her appetite has decreased in the last couple of days (she even hesitates to eat her soft treats). I took her to the vet and she was just fine. (blood test was not done) Vet did advise that she has two baby teeth that have not fallen out, and that dogs go into heat anywhere from 7 to 9 months of age. I plan to get her two teeth pulled asap (just incase that's why she won't eat), but for now I tried mixing soft food with her dry food. She ate that a little....what else can I try. I'm extremely worried.
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

From another site:

"Your pup will also start to teethe (at around 3 to 4 months), so his mouth and gums will be very sore. Provide lots of chew things to soothe his mouth, like ice cubes, or an old face cloth, knotted, and made quite wet, with water. Put into the freezer until frozen, and give to your pup to chew on. The cold will soothe his gums. I had 2 or 3 of these going all the time during teething. Cold carrots are another option. Regular chew toys like Kongs are also good for loosening those baby teeth. Good luck with this, it can take a while in Labs, they are very oral, and like to get their mouths around things to explore them."

The vet give you any cause for concern or worry?

Give her childrens baby food from the jar. The gums may be sore and tender...use some of the above tips to help you out.

Cottage Cheese is good but don't over do it.

How is the water intake?
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

She certainly could be coming into heat. That could cause a decrease in appetite.

If the vet finds nothing wrong with her - no blockages, etc - then I would get her spayed ASAP.