Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Some Bassets I have seen *don't* need a lot of excercise, but then again this goes back to what everyone has been saying. Some traits are breed specific, but as far as energy 'levels' go - this all depends on age, the dogs history & specific personality.

Which toy breeds are you referring to? Most that I can think of are quite the opposite of low energy dogs.
My point exactly. Very hard to say what breed.

I have a min pin and she is a ball of fire! I swear - she is non stop. Again an example that you cannot tell by breed alone.

Bassets are one of our highest owner surrender and I have had a few myself in foster. They were probably the most docile of all dogs I have had but then again, there are others that run like the wind.

It really all depends. It's like saying Indians are good with computers. Well gotta tell you - I suck at it!. So I guess my mother's genes are pre-dominent as I am not a doctor, computer programmer, terrible in math, but rather artsy! Ok I'm a . but that's a whole other thread!
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

You crack me up.

I think the point has been made for our side of this debate, but the other side has yet to convince me that a bulldog (or like breed) is the right choice for the OP. I'm very curious as to what the OP thinks about all this...if a dog has yet been chosen?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM

Frenchies and Pekes are pretty low energy, and that is why I said I guess a few of the toys could qualify.

Energy levels can *sometimes be determined by the lines as well, like show bred labs are usually lower energy that field bred labs.

I agree that a rescue dog is probably a good way to go if knowing the energy level is a main concern. I have also met many low key pits and rotts, but the lowest keyed dog I have ever met is my English Mastiff/Rotty mix, but at 150+lbs he will hardly suit what you are looking for .
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Frenchies are pretty low energy,
no I'm not !

just kidding

to the OP , I would suggest looking at rescues websites. Since most of their dogs are in foster homes , they can tell you , regardeless of the breed , which dogs they have , that would suit your criterias.

IMO , breeds have all their particuliar traits , border collies have energy , GSD are very loyal and needs to work , Beagles will follow their noses ..... but all dogs are different.

I have read many times that , Great danes are low energy , don't need too much space .... well , tell that to my Nelly and none of the 3 goldens RETRIEVERS I owned , retrieved
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM
banned user

Quote:
Some Bassets I have seen *don't* need a lot of excercise, but then again this goes back to what everyone has been saying. Some traits are breed specific, but as far as energy 'levels' go - this all depends on age, the dogs history & specific personality.

Which toy breeds are you referring to? Most that I can think of are quite the opposite of low energy dogs.

what is with you?? You are basing this on one dog that is probably the exception of the breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all your infinite wisdom - why don't you re-write the "character" and "exercise requirements" paragraphs for the standards for all the dogs then? You really are going the wrong direction. Let's start basing our decisions on 100's of years of character breeding shall we?

Last edited by brecker; September 1st, 2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM
banned user

And to think my dog acts EXACTLY as its character has been described.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
banned user

I'll say it again. Stay away from Sporting, herding, and most terriers. But, I'm sure their will be the odd exception.. Wait for it.........
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker View Post
what is with you?? You are basing this on one dog that is probably the exception of the breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all your infinite wisdom - why don't you re-write the "character" and "exercise requirements" paragraphs for the standards for all the dogs then? You really are going the wrong direction. Let's start basing our decisions on 100's of years of character breeding shall we?
Why not agree to disagree? This is just a tad insulting and perhaps we can curb the following to HELP with suggestions.

Great advice was given to go to a rescue. Many people are saying this based on EXPERIENCE whether it is what they do, volunteer for, or for those that are trainers based on their knowledge and experience. I don't really understand why this has become a debate as people are doing their best here to help.

What is your recommendation Brecker? What type of dog would you suggest and also where should the OP start looking?
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
where should the OP start looking?
everywhere and ask a lot of questions

my
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
banned user

Quote:
Why not agree to disagree? This is just a tad insulting and perhaps we can curb the following to HELP with suggestions.

Great advice was given to go to a rescue. Many people are saying this based on EXPERIENCE whether it is what they do, volunteer for, or for those that are trainers based on their knowledge and experience. I don't really understand why this has become a debate as people are doing their best here to help.

What is your recommendation Brecker? What type of dog would you suggest and also where should the OP start looking?
I do like the shelter idea, some people get lucky this way. I'd still look for a certain breed when doing this.

OR

Selecting a Breed
The most exciting step in selecting a new puppy is choosing the breed best suited to your interest. The CKC registers over 175 uniquely different breeds in Canada, each with their own natural instincts, characteristics and appearance. Some large, some small, some high maintenance, while others are not. Some can be docile and others full of energy with long coats or short. The list of differences goes on and on.

Research Do your research and take time to consider all aspects of the breed you select. Narrow your choices down to two or three breeds suited to your lifestyle, then get as much information as you can before making a final choice. Review our on-line Breed Standards or visit your local library for more detailed information.

Experience the Breed
Research will lead you to your preferences but most of all, you need to experience your selected breeds first hand in order to reach your final decision. Visit one of the many CKC events held throughout Canada each year to experience the breeds and talk to the owner or breeder about the breed. People are generally willing to provide information and provide first hand experience..

Why Purebred?
One advantage of purebred dogs is that the qualities of each generation (size, coat, temperament etc.) are passed on to the next. All breeds are different however, so consider the following from the point of view of a mature dog when developing your short list:

Size - Determines space requirement
Coat - Type Determines grooming time needed
Energy Level - Determines space requirement and exercise needs
Original Purpose - Indicates instinctive activity (i.e. barking, protecting, retrieving, etc.)
Temperament - Determines obedience needs, level of independence or attachment, aggressive/passive nature, etc.

(hacked from the CKC site)
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
banned user

Affenpinscher
Chinese Crested (hairless)
Dachshund
Miniature English Bulldog
Miniature Pinscher
Pomeranian
Pug
Chinese Shar-pei
Keeshond

A mix between independent and low energy ? (and under 50lbs)
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

brecker, why are you speaking to people like this? You are creating the perception of being rude whether that is your intention or not.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
brecker, why are you speaking to people like this? You are creating the perception of being rude whether that is your intention or not.

Not being rude - sorry. Just don't see any logic in not looking at a breed specific dog when someone has specific character trait requirements.

Yes, go the the neighborhood rescue, but please use a breeds character (not the just the cute, happy face) as your reference. I've seen so many people get a dog (usually a mix) that doesn't "act" properly - and back it goes.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
banned user

Do not get:

the large sighthounds,
pointers,
setters,
retrievers,
Dalmatians,
Border Collie,
Bearded Collie,
Siberian Husky,
foxhounds,
coonhounds,
Weimaraner.

They will end up destroying your house or going nuts without LOTS of exercise!
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM
banned user

Besides the odd exception, know one can say I'm wrong.

Can I ask why the 50lb limit? Is it a space limitation?
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

What is being over looked is age. The younger the dog, the more energy it has regardless of breed. Just a fact.

Questioning why someone is looking for under 50lbs is an obvious requirement, so let's just focus on what those requirements are.

Again - Min Pin considered lower energy - I think not. Brenda and the Pins I am certain can attest to that as she has a few - not just one or two.

The list provided again is not a rule.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
banned user

Quote:
What is being over looked is age. The younger the dog, the more energy it has regardless of breed. Just a fact.

We all know this

Questioning why someone is looking for under 50lbs is an obvious requirement, so let's just focus on what those requirements are.

Yes Mame !!!!

Again - Min Pin considered lower energy - I think not. Brenda and the Pins I am certain can attest to that as she has a few - not just one or two.

Lower than the last list I posted - I can't wait to hear from Brenda and the Pins !

The list provided again is not a rule

But a good start!.
Thanks for the clarification
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok Brecker - I throw in the towel.

I believe that all that is said is considered done then.

Best of luck to the OP. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM or of course open a thread so that some of us can offer you some assistance based on your requirement for a forever companion.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
They will end up destroying your house or going nuts without LOTS of exercise!
Any dog will become destructive, regardless of breed, if not excercised properly. This has nothing to do with breed specific qualities.

Quote:

No need to be rude or insulting, Brecker. As has been stated many times already, for what the OP told us she was looking for; it would probably be in her best interest NOT to be breed specific because all dogs are different, regardless of breed. You talk about 'standards' but the 'standards' of dog traits are also different with each club - so who's to say that UKC is correct when it comes to talking about a certain breeds form/energy/function and AKC is not? My point is that yes, we can all say that there are very obvious traits to each specific breed. But if we attempt to guess or assume what a dog will be like as an adult, we are being completley naive to the fact that every dog is different due to it's environment, social structure, training, and personality.

If we're talking breed specific here, I'm confused as to why you would reccomend Poms, SharPei's or Keeshonds at all for the OP's situation?? Did you choose these ones for their size? I do agree that daschunds and pugs may be a great choice.

Again I believe the best bet is for the OP to meet different rescue dogs, especially ones in foster homes. Hopefully we'll get an update soon!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
banned user

Quote:
Any dog will become destructive, regardless of breed, if not excercised properly. This has nothing to do with breed specific qualities.

Yes, and properly is what we are "discussing" isn't it? Some dogs DON'T need a lot of exercise - period. This is my point - and has LOTS to to with breed specific traits!!

No need to be rude or insulting, Brecker. As has been stated many times already, for what the OP told us she was looking for; it would probably be in her best interest NOT to be breed specific because all dogs are different, regardless of breed. You talk about 'standards' but the 'standards' of dog traits are also different with each club - so who's to say that UKC is correct when it comes to talking about a certain breeds form/energy/function and AKC is not? My point is that yes, we can all say that there are very obvious traits to each specific breed. But if we attempt to guess or assume what a dog will be like as an adult, we are being completley naive to the fact that every dog is different due to it's environment, social structure, training, and personality.

Why is everyone overlooking the whole character part of breeding dogs over the last 1000 years?????????? Your statement above is ignorant and naive to say the least. At least there is a fighting chance that the dog SHOULD become like that.

If we're talking breed specific here, I'm confused as to why you would reccomend Poms, SharPei's or Keeshonds at all for the OP's situation?? Did you choose these ones for their size? I do agree that daschunds and pugs may be a great choice.
I've owned a keeshond and a Sharpei, they DO NOT require lots of exercise AND are independent breeds! Shall I quote references?
Again I believe the best bet is for the OP to meet different rescue dogs, especially ones in foster homes. Hopefully we'll get an update soon!

We are in agreement - but not in agreement in the fact that the OP should not reference breed character traits - no problem - but this is wrong. I don't understand the logic not doing this
A retriever will retrieve, a spaniel will run through the bushes, a border colie will herd your kids, and a GSD will probably bite someone while herding them. Should I go on?

Last edited by brecker; September 1st, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
banned user

I give up.

Go get the first thing that wags it's tail at you. I'm sure it won't require to much exercise and will have independent traits like a bulldog.

It must be an exception that my dog is EXACTLY like it should be in it's character and disposition? Weird. And that most other purebred dogs I encounter actually act like you would assume they would? I find that fascinating to say the least.

Last edited by brecker; September 1st, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
A retriever will retrieve, a spaniel will run through the bushes, a border colie will herd your kids, and a GSD will probably bite someone while herding them. Should I go on?
My last retriever wouldn't retrieve anything if we forced him too, and I've owned GSD's that would never hurt a fly let alone 'herd' anything. I know that many of the members on this board can attest to this, while others find their dogs fit breed descriptions of energy levels and excercise requirements to a T. I'm not saying you're wrong by claiming that breeds have specific traits, - but I'm getting the impression that you feel these 'standards' are a checklist. They simply aren't. ALL DOGS ARE DIFFERENT, regardless of breed - and again a lot of factors come into play (age, environment, training, history, breeding, etc). Because the OP had a specific requirement for the dogs energy levels, this is why everyone is suggesting for the OP to visit dogs already in foster homes - she'll know exactly what she's getting, there will be no 'guess-work' involved.

I feel like a broken record.

Quote:
Why is everyone overlooking the whole character part of breeding dogs over the last 1000 years??????????
No one is overlooking this. You're just missing what we've been trying to explain.

Quote:
Go get the first thing that wags it's tail at you.
Becker, it really seems like you're out for a fight. We all have different opinions, but the way you come across is quite harsh and rude. There is no need for that.

To avoid having this thread shut down, I'm kindly stepping out of this conversation with you. I suggest you do the same.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
banned user

Quote:
Because the OP had a specific requirement for the dogs energy levels, this is why everyone is suggesting for the OP to visit dogs already in foster homes - she'll know exactly what she's getting, there will be no 'guess-work' involved.

I feel like a broken record.
I agree with this. This I have already stated. My "suggestion" is the OP "lean" towards a dog that "is bred with there requirements"

Make sense?

And I'm sure you know of a GSD that has never hurt a fly - they just happen to be one of the most biting dogs in history and on record! Cheers! (herding dogs bite/nip by nature - just watch them at work)
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And I'm sure you know of a GSD that has never hurt a fly - they just happen to be one of the most biting dogs in history and on record! Cheers! (herding dogs bite/nip by nature - just watch them at work)
Seriously brecker - it's enough. You made your point (which is interesting to say the least).

Now you are taking it too far. It is statements as such that has given breeds a bad name which is resulting in mass euthanasias around this country and others.

This thread was intended to help someone not to demean others or call out a certain breed.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Let's keep this thread civil or it will be closed.

Noboby HAS to respond when they've had enough of a thread and it keeps going round and round....

Thx - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I'll say it again. Stay away from Sporting, herding, and most terriers. But, I'm sure their will be the odd exception.. Wait for it.........
Some sporting dogs are really quite mellow house dogs once they get over the initial adolescent period. A 3-yr-old setter, for example might be an excellent choice for the OP. They tend to turn into couch potatoes at that age.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
banned user

Quote:
Seriously brecker - it's enough. You made your point (which is interesting to say the least).

Now you are taking it too far. It is statements as such that has given breeds a bad name which is resulting in mass euthanasias around this country and others.

This thread was intended to help someone not to demean others or call out a certain breed.
Just the facts from me! I am in no way being rude. The fact is GSD are nipping, protective breeds.

I did help the OP. I gave both a "good list" and one to "avoid" based on sound information.
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Some sporting dogs are really quite mellow house dogs once they get over the initial adolescent period. A 3-yr-old setter, for example might be an excellent choice for the OP. They tend to turn into couch potatoes at that age.
Might work, but can the OP find an older Setter that needs little exercise? My point is there might be dogs the same age that require a little less and maybe "act" like a bulldog a little more?? No what I mean?

The more I think about it - A Sharpei could be the one...

ooops - I forgot the health issues!! Maybe not

The OP has strict requirements LOL
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Geek Club CEO

Ok, I'll chime in with my . Emotions and personal experiences aside, I think both "sides" here have legitimate arguments.

Brecker: I agree that FOR ETHICAL, RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS (unfortunately a rare breed themselves), breed descriptions will guide them to produce dogs that conform to the breed standard in terms of personality. I see "herding" personality traits in my collieX, "terrier" personality traits in my terrierX, and "shepherd" personality traits in my Shepherd. I can honestly say that if I was going to buy a purebred dog, I would be looking for a breed whose described personality matched my hopes/expectations of an "ideal" personality type. I would use these described traits as one tool in my decision-making when choosing a breed, because I would expect them to be as described...

which then leads me to...

natural variability in character/personality REGARDLESS of breed. I think BenMax and Baily et al. also have a valid point: while breed standards are imporant tools, they also describe the IDEAL of the breed (physically, behaviourally etc.) and this is not always acheived even with carefully planned breedings. Take Sheps for example...most will have some "drive" if bred properly, but that degree of driveyness will vary significantly from pup to pup even in the same litter. Buying a particular dog based on breed alone could be a recipe for disaster or shattered expectations. For that reason, if I settled on, say, another Shepherd as a purebred dog of my dreams, I would work closely with the breeder to help me pick the pup that was best suited for my family and my expectations in terms of its personality...that's why responsible breeders don't let buyers pick their own puppies; because each dog is different.

Then, if you're talking a mixed breed, well, you can throw breed standards right out the window IMO. You just cannot possibly predict an animal's personality based on its POSSIBLE mixes (which are often "guesses" at best). My herding mix acts a bit like a terrier, a bit like a border collie, a bit like a husky and a bit like... Jaida, the closest thing I have to a purebred, looks every bit a German Shepherd, but has some personality traits that you would not expect from a shep: she has little to no drive, wouldn't touch another creature with her mouth to save her life, is quite timid and nervous in new places/with new people...BUT she is a good alert-dog, is wonderful with children.

I think it's important to recognize that breeds can and do possess very breed-specific traits and characteristics, but that you can't just "judge a book by its cover", so to speak, and be careful of overgeneralizing, especially uneducated comments perpetrated by the media (speaking here of breed-ban-type speak)...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, most older setters in that couch potato phase will get by with little exercise. There are rescues for English Setters that often have older dogs available...so yes, the OP could find one.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."