Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:24 AM

Frustrated from vacuuming and looking for a solution

The topic speaks for itself; but let me give you a bit of background:
I work full-time, have two dogs and two children. My husband works long hours and doesn't help with the house work and my son is allergic to hair... my house is a mess everyday I comeback from work... sigh
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

No entirely sure what you're asking, are you trying to find an alternative to regular vacuuming? I wish!!!! The only solutions I see are:
a) shave the dogs (I'm joking!)
b) move to a house with concrete floors and a drain hole in the middle so you can just hose everything down (my dream home!)
c) hire a cleaning service to come vacuum for you

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

The only solution I know of is regular grooming of the dogs, outside. Apart from a new husband. Maybe both.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
The only solution I know of is regular grooming of the dogs, outside. Apart from a new husband. Maybe both.

I have seen on TV small vacuums uses to groomed pets. I LOL about getting a new husband. The OP could serve dinner on dirty plates and say she was too busy to wash the plates! Or have her dogs clean the plates then put the dishes away , maybe that will get her husband to wash the dishes.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

How old are your children?
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Maybe a Roomba would help--it does its own vacuuming. Not sure how well it would work with long-haired dogs around, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Maybe a Roomba would help--it does its own vacuuming. Not sure how well it would work with long-haired dogs around, though.
Not worth the money. I had one, still had fur balls, it's no where near thorough enough and is more annoying and helpless then helpful.

Why the expectation of a clean house with two dogs and children? Hellooo reality check! Unless you have hired help or the children are old enough to clean the house, if any one is complaining about this hand them the vacuum and say thank you! or get rid of the kids, the husband, and the dogs.. in that order You're nuts if you're putting that much pressure on yourself, that's not good. Unless you're in the process of selling the house, I really don't get the obsession to have a show ready home while you live in it.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that you are probably just being too hard on yourself. That said, even young kids (to a point) can be enlisted to help. Treats come after you help mommy to tidy the playroom. The dogs are short haired dogs, and I find that with my lab if I give her a good brushing outside every few days it really helps to keep the inside hair down. Now I don't have kids in the house, but I have a hubby who is without doubt every bit as messy and probably more dirty! He has finally learned to pick up the little dust buster vacuum that is strategically placed beside his "chair" in the living room and cleaning up his own crumbs and popcorn! That took a while though. Good luck to you, it's a long haul so cut yourself some slack.
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The daily grooming suggestion is a good one--we have 8 long-haired dogs and a daily brushing really keeps the hair balls to a minimum (or what passes as a minimum at our house! ) I brush them each every day and vacuum once every day. It helps that we don't have a lot of carpet....linoleum or wood is much easier to de-hair.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
dog, housework, vacuuming