Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM
cassintheuk

Price comparison

Just curious how the prices differ around the world for vet care.

Today, for Lily's first set of vaccinations it cost £44. Her worm treatment was only £8 and to even go in it was £29. Everything today for both of my dogs (including eye treatments) was £81.

I saw today that it will be £140 to spay her and £20 to microchip her.

So what is the price at the vet near you? We are near London.
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM
-

The vast majority of regular Pets members are Canadian. In "second place" are Americans. On any given day even our dollar differences can be significant.

Even within the province of Ontario where I live we see huge differences between rural and city costs. Just moving from a large city (Toronto) to a smaller city I have noticed a significant drop in price in services, tests and medication. However, the equipment available (ie. x-rays) in my current Vet is less than my old Vet. Does that justify a $20 discrepancy in "office visit/ consultation" fees? Not in my mind....

Not sure it's at all really comparable to be honest... There are so many variables. However, having standardized pricing models, <with the necessary checks and balances and allowances for overhead costs> sure would be nice!
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I have
no idea how much a pound is worth in Canadian Dollars,or are you talking Euros??
It's kind of hard to compare
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:31 PM
cassintheuk

No, I'm just wondering how much these prices are in your area. I can look up the exchange rate on my own but I was just wondering how much other people actually pay to have these things done. Especially the spay/neuter, microchipping and vaccinations. Those are the things that most people have done to their pets.

Do you pay pet insurance? I was quoted £21 per pet, per month.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

cass, 1 British Pound is around about the same for AUD and CAD, Australian and Canadian Dollars, it converts to around $1.55. I'm in Australia by the way. I'll check prices whern I phone my vet later.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM

Thor(my 5 month old jack/pappillon) just had his last set of shots(last distemper shot and rabies) and it cost me $127.28!!!!
I nearly passed out....lol
Back home(Sudbury,Ontario) it would have only cost about $60(as my vet there doesn't charge office visits for shots)...I now live in Edmonton, AB and this vet charged $65 just for the visit!!!
But ya....owning pets sure ain't cheap! lol
To Neuter him in a month or two I'm looking at approx $200-300....and about another $75 to chip him.
Angie
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:42 PM
chronically insane.

I'm in America (NJ) but I'll put this in pounds to make it easier for you to compare

I pay about 18 pounds for a vet exam here, that's just to walk in the door.
Vaccines, I generally pay 5-6 pounds for each shot, depending on where I get them from. Sometimes I can pay about 10-12 pounds for rabies if I miss the free clinics.

Dewormer... hard to calculate because I buy in bulk or get it for free. Per cat I spend maybe 10-20 pounds a year on each cat for wormer... for flea stuff maybe 20 pounds a year per cat for Frontline or Advantage because again I buy in bulk. For a spay, for a cat you will pay 10-40 pounds here if done at clinic, probably about twice as much if done at a full service vet office. Dogs, 50-75 pounds at a clinic, depending of size of the dog... probably upwards of 100 pounds at a full service vet.

Luckily there are a TON of low cost services where I am. There is no excuse not to be able to afford vet care when I live.. although people still will find any excuse they can

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Back again to this thread, at my vet's (in Australia) a consultation is $55. Vaccination is $65. Wormer could range from $3 to $20 depending on the size of the dog(cat?) and whether you want to do them for HW,spays are $120 for cats, from $150 to $240 for a dog, and microchipping is $38.50. $20 for microchipping if you have registered dogs and do it via our Canine Council on their microchipping days.
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:31 AM
cassintheuk

I'm American but living overseas right now. We were in Germany first then the UK. We didn't have pets until we moved to Germany. Germany is extremely cheap for vet care. Or at least the area we lived in was. To get Annas first shots it was a total of €20, to microchip her it was about €10. Any vet care for sick pets usually only cost around €15 to €20. However, we did end up spending just over $700 to get Sookie back to a healthy dog after we found her. She needed all but 5 teeth removed because they were killing her. Anitbiotics are never cheap and she had them for so long! To get our dogs over here to the UK was not so cheap with the PET travel scheme to come to the UK. We did that for both dogs but ended up only bringing one in the end when Sookie couldn't even get up to potty anymore. That cost about €100 for each dog.