Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 27th, 2009, 01:28 AM

Puppy issue!!! :(

Hi everyone.

My puppy is now 24 weeks (5½months) and is totally NOT housebroken. She pee's and poo's everywhere she sees fit and I do not know what to do. She is a puppy yes, but I've heard all puppies should be almost housebroken by the age of 6months. Time is ticking and to be honest, it pisses me off a little and pushes my nerve.

Because the thing is, she hasn't improved AT ALL. Under the kitchen table and infront of the door that leads outside: always peeing and pooing there. Living room = she thinks free space of peeing and pooing whenever she sees fit.

She gets out many times a day, just for relief trips. Two weeks ago she started sniffing the door when she had to do business and we were very proud that she started that behaviour. But it stopped and she doesn't do that anymore. Usually, she doesn't even sniff around when she wants to pee or poo, its like: walking walking walking, stop, businesses on the floor.

So its really hard to stop that, but we always tell her off when she does something indoors, and then we take her out RIGHT AWAY for couple of minutes. And when she does do something outside, she gets loooots of praising.

What is happening? I know its individual too, but NO PROGRESS. I must be doing something wrong.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm a softy

*awe* you sound so frusterated, *BIGHUG* ok first, take a deep breath, and remember that this is a phase, with work it will pass, I don't know anyone who has had a puppy and not peen right ticked off about a mess on the floor.

First thing is that it has to be a priority to keep keen eyes on her at all times. She must not have an accident when no one is looking. She has learned that is is perfectly acceptable to mess in the house, she does not know she is doing anything wrong, that has to be changed. The best thing to do is keep her on a leash attached to your waist. When you bring her inside. When she begins to suat you clap your hands, say NO! and take her straight outside, have a party when she goes. Taking her outside for awhile has to be business only, stand with your arms crossed ignoring her until she goes, she has to leatn that when she gets outside it is time to preform, reward her big time when she does. Remember one poo is not usually done, often they will have another shortly, so watch. NEVER allow her access to anywhere in the house except her kennel without someone having control of her. Feed a high quality food that will not move through her fast producing massive amounts of poop.

Really all you are trying to accomplish is a situation that it is impossible for her to go in the house. At her age, once you do this for a few days she will be close to knowing what to do. If you can be consistand and make sure there are NO accidents in the house without her being reprimanded the instant she sqauts she will be trained in no time. All that has happened is she has learnind inside is just as good as outside for potty breaks, you need to make it simple and clear to her that is not ok.

You will do it, Frusterating I know, but you will! This will just be a memory soon I promise! It just takes persistance and patience. GOOD LUCK to you and your new baby!
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Master of the Drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
*awe* you sound so frusterated, *BIGHUG* ok first, take a deep breath, and remember that this is a phase, with work it will pass, I don't know anyone who has had a puppy and not peen right ticked off about a mess on the floor.

First thing is that it has to be a priority to keep keen eyes on her at all times. She must not have an accident when no one is looking. She has learned that is is perfectly acceptable to mess in the house, she does not know she is doing anything wrong, that has to be changed. The best thing to do is keep her on a leash attached to your waist. When you bring her inside. When she begins to suat you clap your hands, say NO! and take her straight outside, have a party when she goes. Taking her outside for awhile has to be business only, stand with your arms crossed ignoring her until she goes, she has to leatn that when she gets outside it is time to preform, reward her big time when she does. Remember one poo is not usually done, often they will have another shortly, so watch. NEVER allow her access to anywhere in the house except her kennel without someone having control of her. Feed a high quality food that will not move through her fast producing massive amounts of poop.

Really all you are trying to accomplish is a situation that it is impossible for her to go in the house. At her age, once you do this for a few days she will be close to knowing what to do. If you can be consistand and make sure there are NO accidents in the house without her being reprimanded the instant she sqauts she will be trained in no time. All that has happened is she has learnind inside is just as good as outside for potty breaks, you need to make it simple and clear to her that is not ok.

You will do it, Frusterating I know, but you will! This will just be a memory soon I promise! It just takes persistance and patience. GOOD LUCK to you and your new baby!
Hey and welcome

Great advice!!!! It will get better...I had 2 dogs to housebreak at once and I ended losing 10 lbs running outside every couple mins (so it seemed) But it got better over time.and now they are doing great
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:45 AM

That is very good advice actually.... I started doing this since yesterday. I thought I DID keep keep eyes on her all the time, but now I really am All night I was worrying (she doesnt have a kennel) that I wonder if she's doing it now or now.. But everything was clean, hopefully soon this will be over. :-)

Thanks again!
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Don't yell at the dog for having an accident, especially if you don't catch her in the act. The sharp "NO" is plenty and only if you actually catch her squatting - anymore than that and you make the dog think you are mad that she peed/pooped - she isn't making the connection that you are mad about WHERE she did it. She will decide that it upsets you to see her poop/pee and will start to hide to do her business.

Good luck!
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies!! We've been working on it now and we have seen a big IMPROVEMENT! We still keep an eye on her, and we've been almost accident free for 2 whole days now. Plus she whines whne she needs to go, or goes to the door!
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies!! We've been working on it now and we have seen a big IMPROVEMENT! We still keep an eye on her, and we've been almost accident free for 2 whole days now. Plus she whines whne she needs to go, or goes to the door!

So thanks alot! We're getting there!! What a relief!