Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM

bringing an older cat into the house with a younger cat already there

A friend of mine recently went back to school needs to get rid of her cat due to the size of her apartment. When she called two humane societies they told her that they couldn't take her because they "have too many cats and kittens already and if they did in 3-4 months she would probably be put down if she couldn't find a home," It made me sad, so I told my friend that if she could wait until Christmas I would do a trial run with her cat for two weeks while I am off.

My friend's cat is a 5 year old female. I have a 1.5 year old female cat. My room is already cat friendly with a "safe area" with litterbox, toys, food, water and scratch post because I have college roommates so my cat knows its a safe place for her. My cat also sleeps with me every night and follows me around the house.

What is the best way to make this a least stressful for both cats? It would be greatly appreciated,
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How big is her apartment that she can't keep one tiny little cat?

Anyway........ this site is a must read if bringing a new cat into a home already owned by a cat(s). Please know a two week "trial run" may not be near enough time to find out if things will work. But if done properly it will.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Thank you for saving this cat from a sure death. And if you can't keep her please PM me. We'll see what we can do.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM

thanks for the advice, she said she is in a tiny bachelor apartment downtown Toronto, I think there could be a money issues as well. I am hoping two weeks will be enough but we will see what happens, I really hope it works out for both cats,

would you recommend maybe trading blankets for something now so they can get used to each other? She is in town almost every weekend so it would not be a problem for them to trade something if you think that might be a good idea.

You are awesome to cats, the cats that come into your life are definately very lucky
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Trading blankets now would be a good idea. That is very good thinking. If it can be done a few times before bringing the older kitty to you then it might help ease the transition a bit. Using a small amount of baby powder rubbed on your hands and then on both cats or a small dab of vanilla under the chin sometimes helps as well. This way they both smell the same.
And thanks for the compliment.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
150% PRO S/N

Oh yes, one thing I wanted to ask and forgot. Are they both spayed? That will make the transition a little easier as well.

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM

yes, both are spayed, thanks for the advice, any reccommendations on a safe room for the other cat? I don't have any spare rooms and only one bathroom with a shower so those are kind of out of the question...