Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Wheaton Terrier Obsessed with human sexual smells/fluids...help!

I have just moved to Southern California to live with my very dear friend of ten years. She has an adorable 6 year old female Wheaton Terrier that has not been spayed, but never carried a litter. Her name is Mia. I have two fantastic Goldens at home (2 year male, 9 year feamale, in Vancouver), so I was excited to be living in a home with a dog while I am in California. However, she is very different from my goldens. . . I have been trying to work past the nervous, wary, yet sometimes overly-excitable habits Mia has developed. Taking her on walks, (she is horribly leash trained) and spending time with her while I work from home. Hoping that she will warm up to me. Her behavior is explicable to me and she is generally a good dog, except for one thing. . . . She has a fixation on human sex smells. She never chews anything (including the toys and bones we buy her) except for the groin area of our clothes and underwear (especially my female roommates). She has been doing well on the leash lately except if she smells a used condom in the park. She wont leave it alone, and I literally have to pick her up so we can continue with our walk. Its a very different behavior from a simple interest in something smelly. Just yesterday, I found her on my bed (she never comes on the bed) licking a pile of dirty linen that was 'used' the night before. (not trying to be graphic, just specific, sorry). So... There you have it. I am baffled and a bit grossed out. I have been pushing to finally have her spayed, and was wondering if doing so might help curb this compulsion.

Thanks for any input or ideas.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I am not sure how many people will want to 'touch' this one, but I absolutely will address.

This is not abnormal. There are dogs that are attracted to these scents. Some to socks, underwear (worn), diapers, women's sanitary napkins etc...Though people don't want to talk about it - it happens. I think that the dog will probably be attracted to all of the above and not just what you described.

Indeed get the dog fixed. I am not sure however if it will curb the behaviour. It certainly would not hurt!

The dog needs training, and so does everyone in the home. Put away your clothes in the laundry basket or washing machine.

The problem is not so much the dog as it is to leaving this lying around. If the dog actually swollows the garments or 'things' - this can lead to medical issues that may result in elevated vet bills to get the objects out. This may also result in the dog's death. So be aware.

This is a question of training both dog and mostly humans.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
The problem is not so much the dog as it is to leaving this lying around.
I completely agree ! You and roomie HAVE to pick up after yourselves. Because if your dog ever swallow something ... she could get very sick , this will cost you surgery $$$$ and she might even die.

Please start by having her spayed , then maybe some obedience classes ?
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I promise we are not messy!

Thank you for the replies. I didn't mention we are quite a neat and clean household, and rarely are clothes left lying around. The linen was on the bed, off the floor, waiting for the washing machine for less than an hour. Mia is knocking over hampers and specifically seeking the dirty laundry. I guess sequestering her with doors between her and the clothes/bedrooms is the best solution. And from what I am reading, spaying, while vastly beneficial, will not guarantee a change in this kind of behavior?

Thanks again for the replies, I know this is an odd one to say the least.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Half Way To Crazy

when we had our first female dog. she would go after my undies.. everytime we did the laundry you could be sure that she was down stairs sorting out what she wanted..

even when we had her spayed it did not detour her of her fetish....
she did out grow it but it took quit awhile.. and a whole pile of undies..
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Do NOT dismiss getting the dog sterilized however. If the dog is attracted to certain scents then it is only a matter of time before a pregnancy. More unwanted puppies is not what anyone wants. Check the 'bins' of discarded dead animals due to over-population at shelters, animal control and vet clinics.

This should not be an excuse as to not sterilizing the dog. Seriously.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I agree BenMax.. your dog still should be spayed even if it does not detour her..
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Swift Tribe

yeah to stick up for the OP real quick... had a spayed female cocker spaniel who actually opened our laundry shute to get at a pair of my panties that had gotten hung up in the edge. no evidence it was there but for this smell she could tell was there.

i buried that dog with a pair of my undies. :sad: she was 16 and still fishing the laundry basket.

obviously your friend has gone through a bunch of trouble to keep her female intact. far be it for me to tell her differently. just express how bad the over population problem is and please discourage from having any puppies. every puppy born is damning another to euthanization if only because that new puppy will take the place a shelter dog could have taken.

i doubt spaying her will stop this... problem. id say for you guys to just get use to hiding your unmentionables, be careful on walks and try not to be too embarrassed when company comes over to find your pooch chewing another pair of undies.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Fully Agree

I am a huge advocate and supporter of sterilization. I have been telling my friend to have Mia spayed for years now. There was a thought in distant memory that she wanted to breed this purebred Wheaton. My thought. . . .if there is no time for simple training, how can there be time for puppies? She said it would be good for the kids. I am hoping to convince her that spaying will help with Mia's 'fetish,' which I know really bothers her. She is telling me now that spaying an adult is far too dangerous. I have only ever had puppies spayed, so I loose that one too.

Geeze. . .
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1maverick View Post
My thought. . . .if there is no time for simple training, how can there be time for puppies?

Geeze. . .
I like this saying.....
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am a huge advocate and supporter of sterilization. I have been telling my friend to have Mia spayed for years now. There was a thought in distant memory that she wanted to breed this purebred Wheaton. My thought. . . .if there is no time for simple training, how can there be time for puppies? She said it would be good for the kids. I am hoping to convince her that spaying will help with Mia's 'fetish,' which I know really bothers her. She is telling me now that spaying an adult is far too dangerous. I have only ever had puppies spayed, so I loose that one too.

Geeze. . .
This sounds like another excuse to me on her part. Firstly we just received a poor female 8 year old poodle that was used for nothing but reproducing. I do not want to get off track about how we got her or what her condition is but I will tell you that she is now in my foster care to help her with some issues. I also want to add that she is now sterilized at yes.....8 years of age. She will never ever fall victim to educating kids on the beauty of birth. If someone wishes to show their children about birth, then they should go to the shelter and show them death....since it is the circle of life and what is more beautiful than that.

She is poorly educated. I am pleased however that she has someone in her life that may shed some light on this! Good for you and do not give up trying to convince her to do the right thing...finally.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

One of our dogs has an undie and armpit thing... I catch her licking the armpits and crotches of dirty laundry if it's left on the floor Very gross. She will also eat (sorry folks) used tampons if she can break into the bathroom garbage can. I don't think it's particularly unusual for a dog to go after that kind of stuff.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh 1maverick! Aren't you glad you brought up this subject? As you can see there is no shortage of people willing to answer it.
I too have had a couple of dogs (at different times) who had that "habit" of chewing, licking, whatever. I found the only thing to do is to do laundry immediately! Not an hour later or that afternoon.

As for the spaying issue...... it may not help with the bad habit she has developed but it may help with the nervous, wary, yet sometimes overly-excitable habits she has developed. Being in heat at least twice a year is stressful. Tell your roomie she should try it. A six year old dog is too old to get pregnant for the first time. Unless she wants to lose that dog to complications. I sure hope she has dropped that idea entirely!

Did you point out the health issues that could present themselves if the dog is not spayed? She is right in that older dogs do have more issues with being spayed but the benifits far outweight the issues. Below is a site which explains pros and cons.

http://www.cal.net/~pamgreen/health_intact.html

And lastly - walking in a park where there are used condoms lying around ! I'd be finding a different park!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Patrón eats the crotch out of ANY pair of undies he can get a hold of... and during "that time" of the month, the bathroom garbage MUST be kept off the floor... or he will eat those too... gross... and he IS neutered... has been since he was 7 months old...
My mom's lab used to do this too... My dad came home to find the dog running around with a pair of my moms undies ON... she said " If he wants to EAT them, he can WEAR them too!!"
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

ben max your right on!!!! brenda and the pins
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Success!

Thank you all for your responses. I am happy to report that it took only 15 replies and less than 12 hours for my friend to finally schedule Mia's operation . . . September 19! 14+kitties, thanks for the website. . . the deciding factor it seems. Looks like my years of nagging were less effective than I thought. thank you! As for Mia's unspeakable 'habit,' I'm glad we are not the only ones! And yes, I think a new park is in order. Cheers!
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM

YAY for Mia as for her fetish, you will have to lock things up.... My female dog has a thing for my undies and the only way to keep her away is to keep my stuff locked up!!!
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:45 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You are welcome 1maverick. Please let us know how the spaying went! Good luck and lots of coming your way.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. I am happy to report that it took only 15 replies and less than 12 hours for my friend to finally schedule Mia's operation . . . September 19! 14+kitties, thanks for the website. . . the deciding factor it seems. Looks like my years of nagging were less effective than I thought. thank you! As for Mia's unspeakable 'habit,' I'm glad we are not the only ones! And yes, I think a new park is in order. Cheers!
Good for you. I am glad that she is making the right decision in regards to spaying. As for the habit....well it goes to show you that you are not alone. It was very brave of you to post this, and I am glad that others equally shared with you. This question has been asked to me so many times I cannot count. The best way to train or work with this habit is to teach the dog about boundries. I thought my Rott (RIP) that the bathroom was out of bounds. I tought him this at age 4 - so you can teach older dogs new 'tricks'. Of course the easiest way is to keep perhaps the laundry basket closed in a closet.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM

My girl Nyx {RIP} was HORRIBLE for this! You couldn't toss your clothes on the floor to hop in the shower or during a romantic interlude! lol You'd have to make sure your clothes were up or she'd eat your underwear! lol We had my ex's teenage daugther stay with us for awhile and I kept having to tell her to pick up her underwear because Nyx was contantly either puking them up, or pooping them out WHOLE. I think she finally clued in after Nyx ate the crotch out of her favorite pants.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM

My previous dog (fixed, and male) used to chew undie crotches..grr.
This one (also fixed) will chew used feminine products, which I've learned the hard way must be kept well out of reach, but at least he leaves my clothes alone.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This may be a lame question but has anyone taught this dog the "leave it" command? If she learnt this command it wouldn't hurt. Not sure if the fetish is stronger than the command though
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This may be a lame question but has anyone taught this dog the "leave it" command? If she learnt this command it wouldn't hurt. Not sure if the fetish is stronger than the command though
In fact Marco, leave it is good .....as long as you are there. If you are not there when it happens they will eat it and not leave it. This is too strong for them to ignore.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
OMG, I love this thread. I thought my dog was a freak and it turns out she's got good company.

She'll head towards underwear but if we're in the room when she focuses on it, she stops and puts her ears to the side as if I've just beaten her! Doesn't stop her if we're not in the room. It cracks me up that she KNOWS that we disapprove but she just can't resist.

We had two female roomies for awhile and Voodoo was in HEAVEN in the days before laundry day. She also loves dirty facecloths.

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

This is more common than people think. Most people are too embarrassed to bring up the subject. It is a subject that is very important because it lets you know that dogs are attracted to certain smells and you are not alone with this problem.

Equally it is very important to understand that this problem is very dangerous to the animal.

There are no real training techniques that can be used. The only thing to be done is to find a way to eliminate the articles of interest.

Do not scold your dogs - it really is not their fault.