Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Petland set to stop selling puppies and kittens

Oh I'm soooo happy!!!! Hallelujah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTV
A national pet store chain has announced it will phase out its sales of kittens and puppies.

"Our decision to end these sales was a tough one and was based on business fundamentals," said Robert Brissette, CEO of Petland.

In a media release, Brissette said more people are using online services to purchase animals, leading to a drop in sales at pet stores.

The Petland chain will continue to help families find pets through the company's Adopt-a-Pet program and its Petland Pets for Life Foundation, both of which aim to match homeless animals with good homes, said Petland officials.

Some hope Petland's announcement will mean more people will turn to buying animals from shelters.

Animal shelter owner D'arcy Johnston runs Darcy's A.R.C. (Animal Rescue Centre).

"The last thing we need is for more pet stores to be bringing in pets - puppies and kittens- in from other countries, other provinces just to make profit on them when here in the city of Winnipeg we have a huge kitten, puppy problem," said Johnston.

The City of Winnipeg is considering banning the sale of dogs in retail outlets to curb puppy mill operations.

Petland said it only buys dogs from legitimate breeders.

The Winnipeg Humane Society said it believes the news that Petland will no longer be selling puppies and kittens means the shelter will attract more people looking for pets.
http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Mickey, my angel

Yahoo!

Wonderful news.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Senior Contributor

wow, that is just great, thanks for posting it!
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Willing cat servant

That's good to hear. Every time I go there I worry about all those puppies and kittens plus the ones for adoption even more.
With all the need for home for abandoned cats and dogs this is a good thing

I got my Scully from Petland by the way. From their adoption program.
She was 1 year old, she seemed depressed and very recently lost her kittens

But now she's about to be 3 in September (wow this month already) and I love her so much.
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Peewee is from Petland too. My partner bought him there before I knew him. I showed my partner a documentary on puppy mills which also showed these puppies going to pet stores. He said he would never buy a puppy from a pet store ever again.

What a lot of people don't understand is when they buy a puppy/kitten from a pet store they are supporting the puppy mills and backyard breeders. If the puppies and kittens don't sell fast the stores won't keep stocking them. As we can see from Petland's actions now, this tactic is working! Woohoo!
--------------------
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM

i got my dog at a debbys pet land in nashua, nh (usa)

i didnt know anything about puppy mills - he's my first dog

but i wont get one there again for sure - rescue or breeder all the way.
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

that's great to hear! Maybe I'll shop there more now.
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Skylar's Farm

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing.
So many rescues have such amazing dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, rabbits, etc. etc.
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thx for the share - great news!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Don't have an open mind? You may want to look away

Oh yeah... Hooray... Fantastic... Or is it?

Its seems everyone is pretty excited about Petlands announcement to no longer carry puppies or kittens. I believe someone needs to point out the darker side of this picture.

Has anyone thought of the people that currently work at Petland? Who's jobs are to take care of those puppies and kittens? Has anyone considered that over 100 people are being laid off? No? Well I suppose this is a pet forum... who cares about the people and the increase in the unemployment rate... Lets move to the animal front shall we.

So the majority of people are excited about this because it is a major step to ending puppy mills and will help increase the rehoming rate of rescue animals. Lets look closely at these two points.

Puppy mills. I've seen the documentaries. Its awful what people do but the documentaries only show the worst cases. A puppy mill is any breeding facility being run with sub standard facilities and care. Now Petland claims that they do not purchase from puppy mills. To you, that is just a empty claim. To me, its a job. Petland employs people in every province to inspect the breeding facilities of any breeder that wishes to sell them puppies. After the initial visit surprise visits are paid to these breeders to make sure that they are maintaining their quality of care. Something you may not realize is that when Petland comes across a puppy mill they report it to the authorities. Yes, Petland has been the starting force behind many puppy mill closures.
Rescues. A lot of people go to Petland because they want a specific breed of dog. These people will not magically decide that they were wrong in their decision to spend how ever much money on a designer dog when they could purchase a rescue. What people are not realizing is that this change will not push people to go to rescues, it will push them to go to Kijiji or Craigslist or other online advertising sites where they may purchase animals from mills not even realizing what they are doing.

Instead of reveling in this supposed victory I wish people would look at the bigger picture. Take off your blinders and see that the problem wasn't the pet stores selling puppies and kittens. I believe the problem is that there is no regulation when it comes to animals. Sure, there is the SPCA but they only check things out when there is a complaint. There should be a government agency tasked with doing the same thing Petland was doing. Surprise checks. Or perhaps there should be mandatory licensing if you would like to breed.

I could go into every reason that people are excited about this change and share my view point on each. Rather I will wait for the onslaught of hate responses that will surely follow this post and I will comment as they come.
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digston View Post
Has anyone thought of the people that currently work at Petland? Who's jobs are to take care of those puppies and kittens? Has anyone considered that over 100 people are being laid off? No? Well I suppose this is a pet forum... who cares about the people and the increase in the unemployment rate... Lets move to the animal front shall we.
I'm fairly certain this forum cares about people as well as pets - and while it's unfortunate people may lose jobs over this, the bigger picture is more important. There will be other jobs. I'm not sure I have too much sympathy for those who chose to work in a pet store anyway. Personally, I don't set foot in them to begin with.

Quote:
Puppy mills. I've seen the documentaries. Its awful what people do but the documentaries only show the worst cases. A puppy mill is any breeding facility being run with sub standard facilities and care. Now Petland claims that they do not purchase from puppy mills. To you, that is just a empty claim. To me, its a job. Petland employs people in every province to inspect the breeding facilities of any breeder that wishes to sell them puppies. After the initial visit surprise visits are paid to these breeders to make sure that they are maintaining their quality of care. Something you may not realize is that when Petland comes across a puppy mill they report it to the authorities. Yes, Petland has been the starting force behind many puppy mill closures.
Anyone not breeding to better the breed standard, not showing nor doing the proper health testing is not a reputable, ethical breeder in my opinion. The Petland 'breeders' don't seem to meet those standards so I'm quite happy they will be losing their biggest customer : Petland.

Quote:
Rescues. A lot of people go to Petland because they want a specific breed of dog. These people will not magically decide that they were wrong in their decision to spend how ever much money on a designer dog when they could purchase a rescue. What people are not realizing is that this change will not push people to go to rescues, it will push them to go to Kijiji or Craigslist or other online advertising sites where they may purchase animals from mills not even realizing what they are doing.
OR - they may continue to go to Petland and rescue a dog/cat in need. OR they may be fascinated to learn that breed specific rescues exist. OR.. as you pointed out, they may choose to go through Kijiji (you're not allowed to sell pets on Craigslist) and buy a puppy/kitten. Of course it won't stop those from buying via Kijiji - but I highly doubt it will drive up the numbers. If anything, this is an opportunity to educate the public

Quote:
Instead of reveling in this supposed victory I wish people would look at the bigger picture. Take off your blinders and see that the problem wasn't the pet stores selling puppies and kittens. I believe the problem is that there is no regulation when it comes to animals. Sure, there is the SPCA but they only check things out when there is a complaint. There should be a government agency tasked with doing the same thing Petland was doing. Surprise checks. Or perhaps there should be mandatory licensing if you would like to breed.
The bigger picture is that some 'breeders' are going to lose out on its biggest customer : Petland. This is a victory in my books, and many others as well. Is it going to fix all the problems we have with puppy mills and backyard breeders? Of course not - but it's a start and we all have to start somewhere.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Oh yeah... Hooray... Fantastic... Or is it?

Its seems everyone is pretty excited about Petlands announcement to no longer carry puppies or kittens. I believe someone needs to point out the darker side of this picture.

I'm with Loki Love on this. While people may be losing their jobs over this, there will always be other jobs. A dog/cat who has been euthanized because there aren't enough homes will never get that second chance that these people will have.

So the majority of people are excited about this because it is a major step to ending puppy mills and will help increase the rehoming rate of rescue animals. Lets look closely at these two points.

Puppy mills. I've seen the documentaries. Its awful what people do but the documentaries only show the worst cases. A puppy mill is any breeding facility being run with sub standard facilities and care. Now Petland claims that they do not purchase from puppy mills.

But they DO purchase. If they aren't breeding for show a/o breed standards, they have no business breeding. There are thousands of animals who lose their lives daily because there aren't enough homes, and you expect sympathy because Petland is buying from "reputable" breeders?! No "reputable" breeder would sell to Petland, or any other retail outlet, for that matter.

any breeder that wishes to sell them puppies. After the initial visit surprise visits are paid to these breeders to make sure that they are maintaining their quality of care. Something you may not realize is that when Petland comes across a puppy mill they report it to the authorities. Yes, Petland has been the starting force behind many puppy mill closures.

And you truly believe that this makes it "ok"? They still support breeding for profit when so many are homeless, abused and dying every day.

While this may not stop people from buying on Kijiji, it WILL put a dent in the problem. If enough pet stores stop selling animals, it will reduce the number of homeless pets. Someone walking in to a pet store looking for a dog/cat will see the rescues that are available. While they may not all get the homes they deserve, a lot more will who may never have had the chance if they were competing with the cute, fuzzy (and most likely sick) puppies from those "reputable" breeders

That is one thing we agree on. But I'll take it a step further... breeding ONLY to maintain the breed. Only by breeders who do health testing.

I could go into every reason that people are excited about this change and share my view point on each. Rather I will wait for the onslaught of hate responses that will surely follow this post and I will comment as they come.
Looks to me like all you're looking for is a fight and drama. The people here are reasonable. There won't be any hate responses. But you will find people who are passionate about the welfare of animals. And anyone who is will not support breeding for profit, of any kind. If a breeder is making a profit, they are in it for the money, not the breed. Look back at my posts starting in June of last year. I have a puppy from a backyard breeder. We have fought to get him even somewhat healthy and give him the love and life he deserves.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM

I'm not looking for a fight or drama. You have mistaken my intentions. I only want to try to show people a different side. Share a different opinion.
I take the negative pet store comments a little bit personally. I am one of the employees being laid off. So Loki to you I say, it is your opinion that I am a bad person because I work at a pet store and I don't agree with it, but it is your opinion and we are all entitled to those. I have done a lot of good. I was given the opportunity to learn, and to teach and I didn't waste a second of it.
We all see things from a different view point. And yes, ultimately we agree that there needs to be regulations. I think our ideas of regulation differ but that would be a discussion best held in a different thread

Last edited by Digston; September 13th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:36 AM

Missing the point

I personally hope that now that pet land will no longer be selling cats and dogs that people will choose to go to the places like the SPCA to adopt. Sadly I would be horribly near sighted to believe this. If Pet Land only sold random mix breed dogs do you think that they would keep good sales, No. The fact is most people are conditioned to desire purebreds and puppies. This is something that Pet land offers, and the SPCA does not. Now where do you think these people are gonna go now? Obviously to Kijiji to find a breeder that will give them the purebred they want. People that support the absurdity of the dog show culture are at the root of the problem and are the ones that should be shut down. Anyone that has any understanding of genetics knows that inbreeding is wrong and the desire for this is insane. The majority of purebred dogs are at high risks for many genetic problems and the fact that people continue to breed them is extremely immoral. If people want the answer for decreasing the amount of dogs in the SPCA, STOP supporting the purebred culture. 'Cause anyone that does is far more to blame than any pet store is.

Common Problems with purebreds

Crippling bone and joint disorders
Eye diseases that cause reduced sight or total blindness
Heart diseases that drastically shorten a dog's life
Hormonal and endocrine system diseases like hypothyroidism an diabetes
Seizure disorders such as epilepsy
Skin diseases that cause frantic itching
Digestive disorders that cause chronic diarrhea and vomiting
Kidney and liver diseases
Blood-clotting diseases
Cancer – the number-one killer of many, many breeds

Last edited by Nigel pezington; September 13th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel pezington View Post
The majority of purebred dogs are at high risks for many genetic problems and the fact that people continue to breed them is extremely immoral. If people want the answer for decreasing the amount of dogs in the SPCA, STOP supporting the purebred culture. 'Cause anyone that does is far more to blame than any pet store is.

Blood-clotting diseases
If a breeder does the proper health testing, a lot of the 'common problems' that have been listed normally have a better chance of being avoided altogether. With all due respect, it's common sense that if you toss two well bred, health tested (meaning no glaring red flags) dogs together that your chances of producing a healthy litter increase ten fold. If you take two dogs, no idea on the health of them - then it's a crap shoot. Of course the unexpected can always happen, and just because one does the proper health testing doesn't mean it's a guarantee; but at least you've increased your chances with the healthy dogs

These 'purebreds' you may be referring to are probably the product of backyard breeders - so yes, they sadly do give purebreds a bad name, because they are doing it all wrong
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I am one of the employees being laid off.
And I'm truly sorry you've lost your job - I certainly hope it won't take you long to find another one.
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

At the end of the day, imo, people come to this forum because our focus is narrow, we care about the pets and helping their owners. In addition, many regular members are also involved in rescue or helping pets in some way.. and devote countless hours to the betterment of animals. That's what this site is about. When we hear what we perceive to be good news for animals it makes us happy...especially since there's always bad news just around the corner.
So that's where the positive feeling comes from...we're pets lovers.

We are compassionate though, and I too personally hope you find a new job as soon as possible.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel pezington View Post
I personally hope that now that pet land will no longer be selling cats and dogs that people will choose to go to the places like the SPCA to adopt. Sadly I would be horribly near sighted to believe this. If Pet Land only sold random mix breed dogs do you think that they would keep good sales, No. The fact is most people are conditioned to desire purebreds and puppies. This is something that Pet land offers, and the SPCA does not.

You are 100% correct on that Petland sells Purebreds. Lets look at those purebreds. They come from backyard breeders who do not sink any money into the breeding process at all. They don't health test. I have one of those "purebreds" and he has numerous issues. He had meningoencephalitis as a puppy and thankfully, recovered. He had apsiration pneumonia, and recovered. He now has Epilepsy and has grandmal seizures, he has EPI (Endocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), Idiopathic Eosiniphilic Syndrome (an immune-mediated disease), Vaccinosis, Hypothyroidism and most likely Hyperesthesia. And all before the age of 6 months. He is now a year and a half old, and a wonderful little friend. And before something is said, let me just clarify: I did not purchase him from the breeder. I bought him from a couple who bought him from the breeder. Had the breeder been reputable, the majority of issues he has would not be there.

You say the SPCA does not have purebreds... when is the last time you looked? SPCA's all across North America are FULL of purebreds AND "designer dogs". People looking for purebreds can also go to breed specific rescues. They're everywhere. I agree that this could be a very big opportunity to educate people and show them that there ARE other options.

Now where do you think these people are gonna go now? Obviously to Kijiji to find a breeder that will give them the purebred they want. People that support the absurdity of the dog show culture are at the root of the problem and are the ones that should be shut down.

I disagree completely. Although I don't support breeding for show, because, let's be honest... look what they've done to many breeds such the Basset Hound, Cocker Spaniel etc. I do support breeding to keep the standards. The breeders who do that will do health testing. They do NOT just pump out the puppies for profit, and they screen every potential buyer. The have waiting lists that are sometimes over a year long. They also work on breeding "out" a lot of the genetic issues. The dogs are tested and if they are found to have certain "genes", they are spayed/neutered and never bred. The root of the problem, as you put it, are the greedy people who look at a dog or cat and see nothing but dollar signs, the backyard breeders, the breeders that sell to places like Petland.

Anyone that has any understanding of genetics knows that inbreeding is wrong and the desire for this is insane. The majority of purebred dogs are at high risks for many genetic problems and the fact that people continue to breed them is extremely immoral. If people want the answer for decreasing the amount of dogs in the SPCA, STOP supporting the purebred culture. 'Cause anyone that does is far more to blame than any pet store is.

You're right... if the parents are not first screened. A reputable breeder will screen and then spay/neuter any that have genetic deficiencies. Does that guarantee that the pups will never have any of the diseases/disorders? Of course not, but the risk is MUCH less.

Blood-clotting diseases
And all of these disorders you have listed can be found in any mixed breed as well. My old boy is a mixed breed. He just finished a round of Chemo, has Colitis and Arthritis.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm not looking for a fight or drama. You have mistaken my intentions. I only want to try to show people a different side. Share a different opinion.
I take the negative pet store comments a little bit personally. I am one of the employees being laid off.
I, too, am sorry you have lost your job and hope that you find a new one soon. And I'm sorry if you take the comments personally, but you will be hard pressed to find many people here (if any) who do not believe this is a good thing. People who care about the welfare of animals will see this as a very positive step in the right direction, and long overdue.

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Has anyone thought of the people that currently work at Petland? Who's jobs are to take care of those puppies and kittens? Has anyone considered that over 100 people are being laid off?
I thought of this.

Quote:
I take the negative pet store comments a little bit personally. I am one of the employees being laid off.
Choosing to work at a higher-end pet store where live animals are not being sold may be a good option for you.
--------------------
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:16 PM

I wish I could share in your optimism.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I thought of this.

Choosing to work at a higher-end pet store where live animals are not being sold may be a good option for you.
*Shudders* I would go stir crazy working retail! I am happiest working directly with animals so I will be going back to school to become a veterinary technologist.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Pessimism won't get you a job.

I don't know if you live in the USA or Canada. In Canada, unemployment is called EI here and they offer lots of interesting re-training opportunities. As long as you don't have dependents, going to college or university on the government's bill might make unemployment a good thing.
--------------------
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I am happiest working directly with animals so I will be going back to school to become a veterinary technologist.
Well then, unemployment is a blessing in disguise as it encouraged you to look at other options. I think working as a Vet Tech will bring you a lot more satisfaction (and monetary security) than working as a pet caretaker in Petland. Good for you.
--------------------
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Lol monetary security is definitely not a motivator. I won't make much more as a vet tech than I do now as a kennel tech! Main difference will be the massive school debt I'll have following me around after I will go where ever the animals take me, regardless of where they started their life they all need someone to take care of them and love them.
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Lol monetary security is definitely not a motivator. I won't make much more as a vet tech than I do now as a kennel tech! Main difference will be the massive school debt I'll have following me around after I will go where ever the animals take me, regardless of where they started their life they all need someone to take care of them and love them.

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope you find a respectable job perhaps based on your experience with a humane society or SPCA. I am certain you would be a prime candidate. At the same time you will witness the other side of this dirty little coin and perhaps participate in animals found in these mills.

Many of us are in rescue or volunteer our time in shelters. We see the results of these dogs and cats purchased from petstores as well as meet their parents that are euthanized due to lack of medical attention and the basic necessities. It's disgusting.

Being in this 'business' now for 16 years, I can say that education is a two way street for sure. Petstore employees get to see the cute side of the story and well...the rest of us see the ugly. Cannot say I am sad to hear that Petland is closing their doors to these 'breeders'.

As for animals found in shelters and rescues....well again it sounds like homework is just not completed. There are plenty of so called purebreds that find themselves in need of a second chance. Infact, there are breeders that collaborate with rescues and even shelters if for whatever reason they decide they can no longer continue their breeding programs...and they turn to us for help. Also, there are rescue groups that are breed specific, so you can find just about any breed, any age.

So though I feel so badly that people are losing employment which in essence is an income, I am also glad it's not on the backs of the animals.

My main concern and focus now goes to the breeding stock of the Petland suppliers. Hopefully they will turn to shelters and rescues to take over their animals rather than the current way of doing things: starvation, decapitation, abandonment, electrocution and live burials.

Do I feel that bad for Petland...? Not on your life.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Excellent post BenMax!

Quote:
Oh come now, money should always be a motivator. You can't look after yourself or your pets without!

Again, I don't know where you live...the petcare employees at Petland here make $9-10/hr and the Vet Techs start at $22/hr. I know this because I recently looked at both options. Department managers make closer to $14-16/hr at Petland, but only the store managers are around $20/hr. That's a wee difference! I don't know about you, but I can't pay the mortgage on $10/hr.
--------------------
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM

My dear Myka, we share a city and I make more than $10 an hour but I am also in the department head grouping. As well I would be very interested to know where I could find a position that pays $22 an hour. In my research I have found the average to be about $15
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My dear Myka, we share a city and I make more than $10 an hour but I am also in the department head grouping. As well I would be very interested to know where I could find a position that pays $22 an hour. In my research I have found the average to be about $15
Everyone at one time or another takes a hit and falls on hard times Digston. It's even happened to me twice. What I did was offer my service to companies for free for 2 weeks and if they liked me..hire me. If not, no harm done. Keep in mind I was a single income parent but I made it.
Also, go to a head hunter.
Where there is a will, there is a way. Alot of people I know have lost employment but they carried on and did little jobs until they hit the price point they were looking for.

Sorry off topic..but since you asked, here is my input.