Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 18th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Selecting and Storing Pet food

I know many of you do not use canned or packaged pet food for your children. We do. My 16 year old toy poodle gets a mix of canned food every evening. How do you select and store it? We buy only those the dogs and cats will eat then sort them by flavor and content - then stack them in the pantry in a mix so they never get the same flavor twice in a week. The Mrs also turns all the cans so the content labels are visable (obsessive compulsive)..LOL.
Same way with the dry foods for all the kids ( 6 different types for dry food for 9 fur children.)
Just curious.
Woody
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I thought I was the only one that did that! I buy a case of each flavor that Puss-Puss likes (she won't eat fish varieties or "with gravy"). Then I make stack of cans as I unpack them putting one can on each stack. Next flavor the same way. These are on a shelf in the garage with labels all facing out. Not obsessive compulsive, I just like seeing them that way. My hubby will grab one stack at a time to take into the house. If Puss gets the same flavor twice in a row, she'll leave it sitting in the dish. She also has a dish of dry food available 24/7

Den-Den had an episode of HGE over a year ago so we stick to a high-quality dry food, without a lot of changes. When I open a sack, I pour the contents into a plastic, 5-qt, ice-cream bucket, which is also kept on the shelf with a scoop inside. His bowl of dry food is available 24/7 and at night he gets a small amount (1/2 small can) of a good quality, canned lamb & rice. He gets this because he watches the cat getting hers and wants some too.

I was feeding Eukanuba to both. Since joining this board, I have learned better and they have both been switched to Royal Canin.
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

only one fur babe here so not to much flavours needed and any flavor fine with charlie, will eat almost anything but raw meat. she has a mix of tin and dry once a day. the tin food is called natures gift (aussie company yay) and is totally chem/preservative/color free and all natural. the dry is called supercoat for older dogs (another aussie) and is supported by our famous vet dr harry (i will use any of his products, a great vet). the tins are stored in fridge when open but onyl last 2 days. the dry is in a 30ltr feed storage container with a screw top, had it for 10yrs now the best container i know, wish i had another.
glassy, i could never leave charlie food out all day, ha, she would make herself sick, absolutly no control here, she will eat till she is dead if she could. have a friend with a rottie, he puts a 20kg bag of dry in the laundry every 2 weeks with the top rolled back. the dog just helps himself, feeds himself. i have never seen a dog with such sense, he just eats what he wants and that is it, amazing.
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Laura, at 7p Den-Den woofs to go to Grandma's to play with Corky. Over there at 9p, he stands in front of her front door and woofs to go home. At 4:59a, Puss-Puss wakes me up by standing by my face and putting her face close to mine. At 5:00a, the alarm goes off.

They can't tell time, they have built-in alarm clocks of their own!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:01 PM
Animal Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
Laura, at 7p Den-Den woofs to go to Grandma's to play with Corky. Over there at 9p, he stands in front of her front door and woofs to go home. At 4:59a, Puss-Puss wakes me up by standing by my face and putting her face close to mine. At 5:00a, the alarm goes off.

They can't tell time, they have built-in alarm clocks of their own!
LOL that is SO true Sades always wakes me up 5 mins before the alarm goes off too!
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM
banned user

Whoa, the whole label facing out, straight and stacked neatly reminds me of Sleeping With The Enemy! Ever see that movie?? That guy was a wack-job!!
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:47 PM
Animal Lover!!

I love that movie!! seen is at least 20 times. Read the book too
Talon 7yrs - Male
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:07 PM
banned user

They just recently had the DVD at Walmart for $9!! Can't pass that up. I've never read the book...
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

No problem - Attack Cat on duty!!! She'll take care of the kitty food monster!
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:35 PM
Animal Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2006
They just recently had the DVD at Walmart for $9!! Can't pass that up. I've never read the book...
Really!?! I'll have to check
Talon 7yrs - Male
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually do the same as Glasslass with my cats,to make sure they do not get the same stuff morning and night,I stack the cans according to the label.
My cats also have 2 different kinds of dry food 24/7 don't have a dog,so it's no problem.I vary the dry food,does not seem to bother them,right now I have a bag of"Chickensoup for cat-lovers soul"the cats love it,all good food no corn,then last week I bought Paul Newmans brand cat-food,also good stuff and all his proceeds go to animal-charities and of course they get treats in between,but they are all in great shape,not an ounce of fat!
Cats are incredible creatures of habit,they know exactly when it's time for mom to get up,when they go out with me,nap-time etc...
At 10:30 pm every night,Vinnie jumps up on the tall armoir in my bed-room and Rocky and Chico make themself comfy on my side of the bed
All hell breaks lose when we go on vacation and my son is looking after them
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:40 PM
banned user

Talons, it's also at Target for the same price! That's where my sis bought it, forgot to say that earlier...
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
Chocolate

I get the dry Nutrience Supreme from Super Pet and store it (just the way it is) in the front hallway that joins mine and the neighbours' upstairs entrance. it's the safest.

I've used VARIOUS plastic containers to store the food, and with EACH AND EVERY ONE either cat or dog got into it... this including placing heavy objects on top...
Old September 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Canned Food shelf life

Hi - I feed my cat Wellness canned food and he loves it. Recently he spent 24 hours in the emergency room because he was lethargic, not eating, just not the same sweet boy. Turns out they think it was gastro-enteritus. They couldn't tell me how he got it. But I told them that he started acting odd after I opened a new case of Wellness cans and fed him. It looked a little different than normal, like not as moist as usual. But the expiration date said '08 so I figured it was okay.

We keep the cans in a cool pantry and then store about 6 at a time in the fridge before feeding him.

My question is... could the 'bad' canned food have made him sick? Also, how can you tell when canned food goes bad? Not a lot of preservatives in Wellness, it's a quality brand. But I don't want to keep guessing when I open a new case - is this okay for him to eat?

I just need to know how to tell when canned cat food goes bad.
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

It is really hard to tell,I don't think it's so much that the food goes bad,it could just be a difference in the production,or once the can is opened and left,it can go bad just like anything else.
I keep my canned cat-food in roomtemps,the same as it would be in the store.
My cats would not eat food coming from the fridge,unless I warm it up in the micro.
As a rule,if I open a can and the consistence of the food is very different from the way it usually is,I throw it away.
Wellness is a very good food and you're lucky your cat eats it,mine don't,they have good quality dry food,but canned they will only eat the dreaded Fancy Feast However they only split a small can between them twice a day.
I am sorry about your kittys illness,I hope he recovered well :love: