Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Shiba Inu puppy behaviour

Hi everyone!

I'm about to be a proud owner of a Shiba Inu puppy this weekend!

I've done a lot of research on Shiba Inus and overall I think I'm going to fall in love with him.

But I've got a little Shiba anxiety as I've heard a few stories about Shiba Inus and hoping some of you can shed some light or give some advice?

I've heard that Shibas will bite. A coworker's brother has a Shiba and he's so aggressive and bites everyone that my coworker avoids him. I sure don't want a Shiba that's aggressive.

I know in the end it all comes to training. Any advice? My coworker said that her brother's Shiba is an alpha male?

Would that make a difference?

I'm still sure I want the Shiba but I'd sure feel better if my anxiety was relieved...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM

I have a female Shiba that will be a year soon. She's not much of a biter unless you wrestle with her, but if you tell her to be nice... she pretends to bite. They're definitly a challenge... stubborn to train unless she's in the mood for it. She likes to bolt out the door and take off, but she doens't seem to run far. Maybe 4 or 5 houses away. I take her to an off leash park and let her run some of her bad off. The biggest concern or trait most people told me to watch for was the running, sometimes they'll run and never return. I think alot of my Shiba's training came more from my old Samoyed than from us. The old girl keeps her in line! My Shiba actually has longer hair than a normal Shiba. It's considered a flaw... but I think she's cute! I'll try to get a picture of her soon. Make sure you show us pictures of your new shiba baby!!!
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM

thanks for your reply!! I can't wait to see him! I will definitely post pictures!

wish me luck on the training.I'm not too concerned with the running off..I just want him to be friendly with others! =)
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Performance Spaniels

In part it would depend upon where a dog comes from and the environment that it has been brought up in. If the breeder kept it long enough to learn the maximum from its siblings, and if the breeder bred to better the breed therefore also breeding for temperment.
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

:love: I love shiba's please please please post a picture......
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM

Welcome Tofu!

Hi everyone!

Please welcome our newest family member Tofu! We picked him up 2 days ago and is absolutely adorable!

He's generally a really good pup! NO problems with housetraining at all! (although have to get used to his crate)

The only issue I seem to have is with his biting...he's roaming around everywhere and chewing whatever he finds! Bitter Apple is definitely helping but I can see this is going to be a challenge!

He also doensn't like his leash and tries to get out of it..he's a lively one for sure!

Does anyone have any suggestions on his biting?

Here are some photos!
Attached Images

Last edited by tofu!; October 23rd, 2006 at 09:18 AM. Reason: trouble adding photos
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

He's SO cute, he looks like a little red panda!

As far as chewing, what do you mean roaming around everywhere chewing? He shouldn't have access to any room that you're not in with him. I'm guessing you meant he's roaming around the room trying to chew as you watch him, but I just wanted to make sure.

The only thing I can suggest is lots and lots of chew toys. Find a toy that he just LOVES to chew on and buy several of them. When you catch him chewing on innappropriate items say "no biting" and direct his attention to the chew toy. He should see chewing on his toys as a good thing, so praise him for it a bit when he picks one up or decides to chew on one.
You may have to experiment a bit to find a toy that he actually likes. Don't try and force him into chewing on a toy that he doesn't like, it's a losing battle. Buy several different toys and then try to find the one (or several) he likes best, and then stick with those, that way he's a lot more unlikely to chew on furniture and whatnot.

The reason to say "no biting" as opposed to just "no", is that he'll associate it specifically with chewing or putting his mouth on stuff that you don't want him to.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; October 23rd, 2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

oh my he's soooooooooo adorable i :love: shiba inus they break my heart.... they are the cutest thing ever
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
-

OMG, he is adorable....I just want to pick him up and cuddle.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM

don't let his appearance fool you! He can be a little hellion!

I'm having trouble getting him in his crate! Any advice? I"ve tried "bribing" with treats and encouragement but he's preferring the underside of my sofa instead!

Here's more!
Attached Images

Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Just stay persistent with it, and make it fun. Play games with him and give him toys in his crate. I would also feed him his meals in his crate - or if you're letting him free feed at the moment just put his food bowl in there. He'll soon realize that it's not a bad place.
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Puppy mouthing and biting is normal behaviour,
Ever watch a toddler exploring their world wanting to touch everything, pups are the same but since they don;t have hands to grasp things they use their mouth, just takes time and constant reinforcement for them to realize that biting and mouthing you is unacceptable.

There are several articles online

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bite2.html

http://www.dogmanners.com/biting.htm

http://101-dog-training-tips.com/Pup...y_Biting.shtml

You will see that most of the articles use very similiar approaches to curb
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I love my shiba inu.

cute cute cute

I have two shiba's my male is a biter but so far he has only bitten me and its been my fault each time. I dont think my little girl would ever bite anyone.
My male is dominate but most of his bad behaviour stems back to the fact he is very nervous and to overcome this he acts dominate. Most of the time he is just a little cuttie. Im still working with hi on this problem and hopefully one day we will get it sorted. in the meantime I will go on loving the bones of him.