Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM

Smile Cat Food suggestions for a very finicky kitty

Hi,

My kitty is so picky that I am running out of wet food options for him! The problem is that he won't eat pate style food...ever. He used to eat the Nutro Max in chunks but I won't feed him any of the recalled brands any more just incase. He used to eat Merrick but has turned his nose up at all of those except the Ocean Breeze. If he doesn't have variety he stops eating so I am worried that any day now he won't even eat the Merrick! The people at Global pets don't seem to know that much about cat food and cannot recommend a brand that is chunky but isn't Fancy Feast so I am hoping some folk here may be able to offer suggestions. I am looking for something that is quality food rather than the 'fast foodness' of brands like Whiskas.

All suggestions welcome!!!!

Thanks!
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Wow thanks to everyone for all your fantastic suggestions...
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM

If people haven't replied, it is because they don't have any suggestions for you, or they haven't seen the post yet, or haven't had time to reply. Rude responses are certainly not going to encourage anyone to respond to your post. That said, this has been discussed before, with no satisfactory solution being found. Unfortunately the higher quality foods do not tend to produce the "cuts and gravy" type foods. I believe Fromms was one suggestion, unfortunately it is not available in many areas. I think the only thing you can really do is just continue to try different brands on your cat and see if he likes any of them. If he tends to like the fish-based Merrick's, perhaps he would try other brand's fish-based formulas, even if they aren't of the "chunky" variety.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hello, Have you tried this new one by Snappy Tom? It comes in small cans, not sure if it is good quality though! lol! My cat really enjoys it. I am sorry that nobody replied earlier, I am new and can understand your frustration in that you are only wanting the best for your furry friend. Your second reply was several days later, I hope that when I post things, people don't take days to post a reply, I would be upset as well! Good luck with your cat and pay no attention to rude replies like the one before mine
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Wa... I won't be much help, I'm in the same boat. Trying to get my 6 to eat wet more. But 4 outta the 6 turn their noses up at everything I've offered so far. They used to get the whiskas and fancy feast type stuff but lost interest in that too. Tonight I was trying Wellness canned and they are all looking at me like I am so mean. I haven't yet come across one of the high quality wets in a chunky style yet but if I do I'll let ya know.

The merrick cowboy cookout has some chunkier meat in it... but not a cuts and gravy style.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure about any good 'chunks and gravy' kinds of foods because my cat only likes the pate style, but here's one that's definitely not pate: http://shop.halopets.com/category.cf...Category_ID=14

It's not really chunks, more like . . . well . . . STEW! Maybe your cat will like it more than mine did.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Like suggested earlier the Snappy Tom is a great option. It's very chunky and has whole pieces of tuna and prawns. Also Evanger's has their whole mackrel, which is pretty gross to look at but the cats love it. Merricks is great too, my cats love it. Other than that most are the pate style, but I would try those as well. You may find a brand that your cat really likes. Good Luck
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM

I have a very finniky female Siamese X. The only food she will eat is dry. It has many different shapes and flavours (vegetables, grains and chicken)together in one bag. I buy it at Mondou, Science Diet (nature's best) with real chicken. If you are worried that this is dry food, you may want to pour water on it to soften it. Whatever works. Good luck with your kitty !!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara View Post
I have a very finniky female Siamese X. The only food she will eat is dry. It has many different shapes and flavours (vegetables, grains and chicken)together in one bag. I buy it at Mondou, Science Diet (nature's best) with real chicken. If you are worried that this is dry food, you may want to pour water on it to soften it. Whatever works. Good luck with your kitty !!

Careful when you're watering down dry food, you could be creating an ideal environment for bacteria to start multiplying. Read this for an explanation: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_
Quote:
Speaking of texture, a common question is "can I just soak the dry food in water?" I hedge more than just a bit at this question. Dry food has a high bacterial content. Mold is also often found in dry food. There have been many deaths of dogs and cats secondary to eating mold mycotoxins, vomitoxins and aflatoxins which often contaminate the grains found in dry food. If you want to try the trick of wetting down the dry food to alter the texture, please leave it out for only 20-30 minutes then discard it. Bacteria and mold thrive in moisture.
And here's another quote from this website: http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
Quote:
Before you start moistening your cat's dry food to try to replace the missing moisture, you should know about mycotoxins, another potential side effect of the use of grains in cat food. Mycotoxins are naturally occurring fungal by-products that can cause disease and death in dogs and cats. When grains are improperly stored, mycotoxins can develop. Two common forms, both of which have been found in pet food (more commonly in dog food) are aflatoxin and vomitoxin. Although mycotoxins are found worldwide they only become toxic in temperatures above 82 degrees and over 80 percent humidity at which point they interfere with cellular function, and are extremely carcinogenic and immuno-suppressive.

Aflatoxin B1 is the most toxic of the aflatoxins and is the most potent liver carcinogen known. Substantial evidence exists to indicate that low-level exposure to aflatoxin may cause suppression of the immune system and increase susceptibility to disease. Young and pregnant animals of all species are extremely sensitive to aflatoxins. Aflatoxin is also excreted in milk of dams and may contribute to reproductive failure. Exposure during pregnancy has resulted in transplacental transfer of aflatoxin to and immune dysfunction in offspring.7

The elimination of mycotoxins in food is extremely expensive. Pet food manufacturers are not known for using the highest quality grains available; they would not be able to keep up their high profit margins if they did. The grains most pet food manufacturers use are those that are not fit for human consumption or are by-products from other processes.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Try PetValu's Performatrin Ultra Chicken Stew.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??