Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM

Exclamation Boarding and Training Question

Hi all, I am new to these forumns and am hoping for information and support for a long long time.

My husband and I lost our dog on New Years Day '05, he was old and had a full life bringing us joy that will never be forgotten! Well we have finally brought a new angel into our lives, and last month Doogan became a new member of our family. Now we have had the usual trainging issues..you know he uses his pads for a week so you give him another room to explore and bang he uses it like a giant potty and then back to the one room we go.

Anyway he is learning and his training is going fairly well, he is smart but OH SO stubborn. Anyway I am a stay at home wife, and we have no human children. LOL Sadly now a problem has arisen and I need some input. My father is very ill back home in Saskatchewan and being an only child, I am going to go look after him for awhile. He is allergic to animals so Doogan can't come with me, and my husband works all day, and we both agree leaving him at home alone all day is not an option we want to pursue. If we have to we will but we really would prefer not. Anyway sorry for being so long winded but our baby is important to us! I have been doing some searching in the GTA and noticed their are some trainers that provide boarding and training services, and I was wondering if anyone has used any of these and if so what were there experiences. Also if there is any negative information I want to know too. We thought this would be a great idea to continue his trainging, keep him socialized and not lonely, and give us piece of mind. Also we are looking for one that has a home environment as opposed to a kennel feel. Any and all input is encouraged, please help us make the best decision for Doogan, so that his stress is minimized during the time I am gone. Thank you in advance for all your thoughts!!!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Normally we would discourage you from board & train, but your circumstances are special and if you can find an honorable one that comes with great references then it might be best. Just besure you are clear on their methods and in agreement with them. They should ask you to take some lessons from them to ensure that you are clear on the methods and can keep it up.
Good luck with your dad.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM

Thank you for your reply. I agree normally I wouldn't even consider this myself, but I want to do what is best for Doogan. Thank you for the advice and we had already decided that once we found a place that was appealing we would tour it and I have about 50 questions I want answered. Also we want it to offer a full training program for us to continue with.

Thank you for the wishes for my dad!! I am praying everday!!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I would never EVER do this, for a number of reasons.

The first reason is that during training is a very important time for your dog to bond with you, and learn to trust and look to you for direction.

However, the most important reason is that I wouldn't leave my dog with strangers to be trained. I would have to be there and see what methods are being used. Some board/train centers guarantee results and I would be very worried that methods used may be punishment based or what I consider to be inhumane.

By all means, board your dog. I've boarded my dog before, but not for training and I never would.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
-

Gosh what a tough spot. It is such a crucial period in your puppy's life to not only miss out on but, to miss the opportunity to bond together and establish your role as leader. Perhaps there is an alternative to full-time boarding. Most dog walking services offer puppy visits (2-3 short visits a day). There are also all-day puppy "playcares" to consider. And of course your hubby could begin puppy kindergarten on weekends to ensure Doogan's training doesn't fall behind. "Get Well" wishes to your Dad !
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM

just a thought

Can u board and train him near your dad? That way u could stop in and see your pup daily and maybe spend some time working with him and a trainer. I know too that when having a sick parent sometimes you need a break and having your dog there could be a welcolm distraction. Best of lucky to you and your family