Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 4th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Save my dog from the pound....

I have an 11-year old german shepard. He was given to me about 9 years ago.
He has been an asset to our family. In the last 4-6 weeks he has pooped any
where. His normal spot in the last nine years is on the lawn in the far corner.
Now he poops in the driveway, his run, where he lays, where he eats, just about anywhere besides the grass in his usual spot. The only thing he does in his normal spot is urine. The last straw is when he pooped on our front porch on the "welcome mat".....My husband is ready to give him to the pound! I tried to crate train him and monitor him but as soon as I let him out he'll go to the grassy area to urine and I've monitered him for up to 45 mins. as soon as I turn my back or put him back in the run he'll poop. He use to have full access to the yard and we only put him in the run for mail delivery or if company is afraid of him. What could cause this new nasty behavior? Can he be trained? Why is he saving his poop for forbidden areas?
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Have you brought him to the vet yet? I'm puzzled why a dog would be punished and abandoned for a possible medical condition, or just because he's a senior. They can't stay puppies forever you know?
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I totally agree with Prin. When you have a dog, you have a dog for life. You don't dump it at the pound because it's inconvenient to you. I think you need to have a serious talk with your husband. Why punish a dog for getting old? He's been there for you for years and now when he needs you, you are going to abandon him? That's not right.

He definitely needs to see a vet.
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Where are you? If the vet clears him, and your hubby insists on rehoming him, we can direct you to some legitimate rescues.

But please take him to the vet first for a check up
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Senior???

Do you think he is doing it because he is Old. If that is the case why is he not doing both bathroom functions, everywhere. When it comes to urine he has selective memory? When we are watching him he goes on the grass he just saves the poop for the porch, or where he eats and lies...to me this is strange.I've had 4 large breed dogs over the years all have lived to 13 or more years. Non of them had this problem. Even the ones that had arthritis and cancer.
It is not my choice to get rid of the dog, but my husbands. That is why I am writing this group for help. I want to save my dog. I love my dog very much. My husband is another story, I can't control what he does.
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

But if you are married isn't it a joint decision not just the decision of one? If it's a joint partnership, then you shouldn't let him just make that decision. It's not fair to the dog.

You need to get to a vet. It could be a medical problem or could easily be a change in your lifestyle that you didn't realize is affecting him.
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Don't let your husband bully you into getting rid of the dog you love, that's my advice.

Regarding the dog, it is entirely possible that it's medical. Eleven years is quite old, especially for a large breed. It's not natural for dogs to poop where they eat or sleep, so his behavior worries me. Take him to the vet for a check up before you do anything else.

~LM~
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM

If my man wanted me to get rid of a dog in its time of need, that would paint me a clear picture of who that man is...
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Your husband thinks that the last straw was when he pooped on the porch? Trust me, it could have been worse. Just ask anyone who has had a dog with a condition that makes them lose full control. I think you need to have a talk with your husband. This dog deserves to be loved until his final days by those he loved and trusted for all these years. Taking him to a pound or shelter would be extremely stressful for a dog of his age to the point that he could degress and would make him unadoptable.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on this. Your dog needs to see a vet. The loss or change of bodily functions like this can be due to many reasons. Some medical, some behavioural.

I know you only want to do what is best for your dog, right now, the vet is the one who can help you the most.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

What really bothers me most about this post, is the title... why on earth would the dog end up at the pound? The least you can do if you are going to discard him due to your husband's opinion of him, is to take him to the vet and humanely destroy him in your loving arms. Why should some stranger, whom he doesn't know from a hole in the wall have this to do? He's given over 11 years of love to you so that's the very least you can do. I'm not bashing you, I'm pointing out how taking him to the pound is inhuman.. who is going to adopt an over 11 year old dog that probably only has two years to live when pups and young dogs get euthanized or worse yet, gassed every day. Rule out medical problems first.. his incontinence just started, there's a reason. Find out what it is please.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Personal servant to Joey

What about looking into doggie diapers for this dog, perhaps it is a medical condition that can be fixed. With his condition right now it would be hard to adopt him out.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!

Last edited by Joey.E.CockersMommy; November 4th, 2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Now he poops in the driveway, his run, where he lays, where he eats, just about anywhere besides the grass in his usual spot.
This is obviously not his normal behavior. He needs to see a vet. Just because your other dogs didn't do this has nothing to do with this dog.

Dumping an 11 old dog at the pound for such a small crime that he possibly cannot control would be incredibly cold, cruel and heartless.

If your husband issues the order to you that the dog must go, the least you can do for an old friend is to have him humanely killed at your vet and not leave him to pine and suffer at a shelter, waiting for you to come and get him.

We don't take in pets and say we'll just keep them as long as they are perfect and never inconvenient.

I hope your husband never loses any control of functions when he's old.
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Lucky - and my advice is that maybe a husband that cruel minded needs to go to the pound. I know if my bf suggested that about one of my pets, he would be out the door so fast, he would not know what hit him. Has this man lived with this dog for 11 yrs as well? How heartless can he be??? I have to say that of all the things I have heard of and read today (and I had to give bad news to several patients and their families), this is really the worst and the saddest. Saddest because it should in no way involve of all things the pound!

This poor dog - who has given you 11 wonderful years - is not doing anything to hurt you. Dogs are loyal and give conditional love - so anything like this is out of character and should be investigated first as a medical issue. Then if it is a behaviour problem, piunishment is hardly required. He needs compassion and understanding and the stress and attitude exhibited by your husband must be felt by your dog. I can't believe you would punish him for this!! (and I have to be honest, it makes me angry even tho there is nothing I can do about it except to hopefully convince you to do right by him and have him checked out by your vet, care for him if it is behavioural problem and find a way around it.

Bringing a nine year old dog to a pound is almost a certain death sentence - unless you find a German Shepard Rescue organization that can maybe rehome him as a special needs dog. And if he does need extra help and medical care and you do not want to provide it, as inhumane as it would be for him to be taken from the only family he has known his whole life, he might be better elsewhere. The very worst secnario is for a sick and elderly dog to die in a cold impersonal pound.

These symptoms certainly do not sound normal and he is trying to tell you something. Work with your vet to figure it out and get him help!! Many senior and even younger dogs with health issues wear diapers and live normal lives. But it may well be and prob is something that can be fixed without even that step.

Please take him to a vet - and tell your husband to grow up and show some compassion!

Last edited by CyberKitten; November 4th, 2005 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Had the age wrong - thought he was 9, poor doggie!
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM

This thread was moved to the Pet Health forum because it is not a training issue but a health issue. Please take this dog to the vet.
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:05 AM

Unhappy

I will take my dog to a vet first thing Monday mourning. My husband is cruel and cold, especially when it comes to animals. He is a very ignorant man.
I talked with him tonight and he agreed to let me take him to the vet first.
He is one of those selfish people that only has a dog as long as it is useful to him. He is not the type to own a animal for companionship, it has always been a matter of protection. I'm the one who supplies the love. To all the people who suggest that he should go to the pound or those of you that said wait till he loose continuancy, he has already said to a nursing home he will go and he has informed me that if I get ill that's where I will go as well. This is who he is I can't change him. Please don't beat up on me so badly I'm trying my best to provide the best for my dog. He seems very healthy, but you all might be right maybe it is something medical I will post the results after my trip to the vet. My husband has already said if it's not fixable out he goes.
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:22 AM

Well I am glad your husband is letting you take your dog to the vet. Even if it is fixable would your husband pay for the fix? If he doesnt want to or if you cant afford it then have your vet put him to sleep in your loving arms, so he doesnt have to worry about going to a dark, cold kennel with nobody to love him in his finally few years.
Raven 2 yr and 5mths old black Lab
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM

1) My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
2) Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3) Place your trust in me - it is crucial for my well-being.
4) Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertaiment. I HAVE ONLY YOU !
5) Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
6) Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
7) Before you hit me, remmember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
8) Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.
9) Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
10) Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I cannot bear to watch it", or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

Last edited by mycat; November 5th, 2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old November 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm very sorry you choose to live with a man who is "cruel and cold". I shudder to think what will happen to you if YOU become ill..something to think about. But that's not the topic here.

Usually, when an animal shows any sudden changes or drastic in behavior in eating, personality or bathroom habits, as yours is doing, there if often an underlying medical problem.

In an older animal, the problem could be one of many issues, some of them very serious.

Please don't abandon your old friend. He would never do that to you.
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a question that may seem silly but I will ask anyway. But first I must say that I totally agree with all of the comments and suggestions made by the other posters. When you say your dog will "go" where he lays and eats, does this include in the house - or are you referring to outdoors only - I ask because many of the references to where he now goes - i.e. the porch - are outdoors. I ask this question because you stated that your pup used to go always in a designated spot - I should be so lucky. If he is only doing his business outdoors, well that is not so bad. He definitely needs to be seen by a vet.
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad to hear the dog will be seeing a vet, That's good news - I hope the news the vet gives you will also be helpful and that your dog is OK!

Regarding a nursing home, I am not sure where you live but you might tell your husband that it is not as simple as it once was to "place" a loved one in a nursing home. Only the very ill are accepted in most provinces now and if you have an illness that requires care, he may have to provide it whether he likes it or not!! Can I ask why you remain with someone so cruel? (I realize it's none of my business but you did bring it up as a reason for lack of vet care. If he were to abanndon you when you are ill, he could well be charfged for neglect or abuse. He needs to know thee are laws that protect humans and furbabies from people like him)